Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 05 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Jan 16 11:524th Oct 14 11:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.
Signature
Wigan vs Leeds finals aggregate score.

Wigan 178 - 64 Leeds

Wigan wins - 6 Leeds wins - 0

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I am all out of bubblegum.

Don't you struggle. Don't you fight. Don't you worry, cause it's your turn tonight!

Esse quam videri.

Re: VW PASSAT...advice needed : Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:02 pm  
Worth noting that alongside checking the tyre tread depth, with 68K miles on the clock it could well be due another set of discs and pads. A £500+ job if needs be. I usually average around 40K miles before they need replacing and that's with very little motorway driving.

It's easy to check how well worn down the discs are, by feeling for the lip created around the edge of the disc by the pad pressing against it.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1585No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 06 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Sep 12 20:4714th Sep 12 20:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Yorkshire Kidney Research Fund
//www.ykrf.co.uk

Re: VW PASSAT...advice needed : Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:36 am  
cod'ead wrote:
I've owned and traded VWs for years and never had a turbo problem, no matter what the mileage. My current car has 140k on the clock.

One other point for the OP - if the full VW service history is not available, walk away.

Check the tyre tread too, a full set of boots will set you back £500

A full VW history is no guarantee of it having been well looked after . It only tells you it might have been serviced by VW . It does not tell you that it might had it's arriss ripped out by the one very careful owner's offspring every Saturday night down at Maccy D's .There are quite a lot of non-franchised garages that are just as able to service VWs . Besides that . A stamp in a service record is exactly just that . A stamp . It is not proof that the vehicle has ever actually had a spanner raised in it's direction . Trust me on that one . I have had first-hand experience of such matters . There are people that work in dealerships that will stamp your service book for a few beers . (not myself by the way ) I have seen some cars that have had a 'dealership history' that are in a absolutely shocking state of repair . It is usually a good sign if it has dealership stamps in the book , but be careful .
Fleet cars are usually the best buy . The fleet operator can usually provide a printout of everything the vehicle has ever had done to it and is much more difficult to falsify . Although they usually have higher than average indicated mileage they tend to be much better looked after as the vehicle keeper is not the one who has to cough up for maintaing it . Of all vehicles' previous keepers I think the best ones are the Mobility cars . I am not going to divulge why as the reasons could be libellous . But if you can find an ex-mobility car then you are almost guaranteed to be onto a winner .

£500 for a set of tyres ? :shock:
There really is no need to spend that kind of money on tyres . Unless you are just wanting a well known brand of tyre then you are better off buying a higher end 'budget' tyre . It will lower the cost to around £300-£350 . I can never understand why people spend such vast amounts on tyres . Even the cheapo bargain basement tyres are more than up to coping with a 70mph speed limit . A set of them could lower the price to around £250 , although it would be worth checking that it won't void your insurance if you were to put a set of tyres on that are only rated to 105mph . There must be a good argument against that . Why should you have to fit tyres that are rated at 150mph ? It is over twice the national speed limit .

£500 for discs and pads ? It didn't cost that much when I recently fitted discs and pads all round on an RS4 . You must be making that one up . And yes it was OEM parts . At 68k miles I would guess that it will have already had at least one set of new brakes . Dealerships are never shy when it comes to breaking the news that you need new brakes . The mrs had a mobility car for three years . During which time a local dealership replaced the brakes twice .They also replaced all the tyres at 7k . It only had 15k on it at the end of the three years . And believe it or not they actually replaced the exhaust . I had checked the car over a time or two and there was nothing at all wrong with the car whe it went in for servicing .
RankPostsTeam
International Star2163
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 29 201014 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Sep 23 07:0810th Jul 23 18:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Will Ferrell wrote:

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cake and it can buy beer. I would say that's about even."

Ryan Bailey wrote:
My mum always said that there would be haters. Not everyone can love ya

Classic Bailey 8)

McLaren_Field re Damo wrote:
Neville Bartos wrote:
What is it that you contribute in exchange for your benefit payments?

He breathes out CO2, which helps the trees.

Re: VW PASSAT...advice needed : Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:34 am  
BaldRick wrote:
Of all vehicles' previous keepers I think the best ones are the Mobility cars . I am not going to divulge why as the reasons could be libellous . But if you can find an ex-mobility car then you are almost guaranteed to be onto a winner .

Which is where auctions come into their own. I know SMA in Leeds get a lot of ex Motability cars their way. Usually VW Polos & Golfs but they do look immaculate and have relatively low mileage.
Pemps 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach18736No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 14 200519 years258th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th May 24 16:2416th Nov 23 17:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
king warrior wrote:
Adam Blair flew over yesterday and has been training the deal is going to be signed this week

Got to say this is a top signing

Re: VW PASSAT...advice needed : Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:35 am  
cod'ead wrote:
I understood the problem extended to all VWs with the Siemens piezo injectors - 140 as well as 170

Are you sure it's a recall? If so have you any further info please? I know that they've been replacing all four injectors if you suffer a repeat failure but to take advantage of that, you had to have paid for one to be replaced, about £600 IIRC

I'm toying with the idea of getting a Golf/Leon with the 170bhp diesel engine so I've been scouring various forums for information. On these forums there are threads that are years old complaining about it but recently it's been mentioned that VW, Skoda, Seat, Audi are now replacing the injectors for free. Some have had them replaced even though they've not had the problem and some are having them replaced for free once they've failed. It seems that there's some differences between brands and dealers but the upshot is they will be replaced.

One of the cars I've thought about is the Octavian Vrs but I'm struggling to bring myself to get a Skoda. Very snobby of me I know.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman37704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Aug 18 19:077th Aug 18 19:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The older I get, the better I was

Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator."

cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan

Re: VW PASSAT...advice needed : Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:02 am  
BaldRick wrote:
A full VW history is no guarantee of it having been well looked after . It only tells you it might have been serviced by VW . It does not tell you that it might had it's arriss ripped out by the one very careful owner's offspring every Saturday night down at Maccy D's .There are quite a lot of non-franchised garages that are just as able to service VWs . Besides that . A stamp in a service record is exactly just that . A stamp . It is not proof that the vehicle has ever actually had a spanner raised in it's direction . Trust me on that one . I have had first-hand experience of such matters . There are people that work in dealerships that will stamp your service book for a few beers . (not myself by the way ) I have seen some cars that have had a 'dealership history' that are in a absolutely shocking state of repair . It is usually a good sign if it has dealership stamps in the book , but be careful .
Fleet cars are usually the best buy . The fleet operator can usually provide a printout of everything the vehicle has ever had done to it and is much more difficult to falsify . Although they usually have higher than average indicated mileage they tend to be much better looked after as the vehicle keeper is not the one who has to cough up for maintaing it . Of all vehicles' previous keepers I think the best ones are the Mobility cars . I am not going to divulge why as the reasons could be libellous . But if you can find an ex-mobility car then you are almost guaranteed to be onto a winner .

Most (in fact all but one), of the cars that have been through my hands in the last 12 years have been ex-fleet cars. I've never had a problem with high mileage, providing the vehicle's been serviced on a regular basis. I know what you're saying about dealer stamps but anyone with a new car would be a fooking idiot to trust "Joe Underneaththearches" over a franchised dealer in the first three years of a car's life.

BaldRick wrote:
£500 for a set of tyres ? :shock:
There really is no need to spend that kind of money on tyres . Unless you are just wanting a well known brand of tyre then you are better off buying a higher end 'budget' tyre . It will lower the cost to around £300-£350 . I can never understand why people spend such vast amounts on tyres . Even the cheapo bargain basement tyres are more than up to coping with a 70mph speed limit . A set of them could lower the price to around £250 , although it would be worth checking that it won't void your insurance if you were to put a set of tyres on that are only rated to 105mph . There must be a good argument against that . Why should you have to fit tyres that are rated at 150mph ? It is over twice the national speed limit .

Again it's an experience thing. Experience has taught me that most German cars operate better on Continental tyres than any other, they laso last longer. The tyre is the last point of contact between me and the road and I ain't about to compromise that by fitting some Chinese or Indian budget model. Tyre speed ratings and load indices are maximums, they are not guidelines. They are set to compensate for other contributory factors to potential failure such as ambient temperature, tyre pressures etc.

I ain't about to compromise my safety and the safety of others just to save a couple of quid on a set of boots.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1521No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 12 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Feb 13 09:4310th Dec 12 22:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: VW PASSAT...advice needed : Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:48 pm  
Thanks for all the advice and warnings, but, I will not be buying the car I had my eye on.

Went to see it earlier. Bodywork was in excellent shape, was very pleased with the interior, and the boot was a decent size. But, on starting up, the exhaust was a bit smokey, car did'nt seem to pick up in 1st or 2nd as quickly as I thought it would, and seemed a bit sluggish. ( maybe because of a cold start, though the outdoor temp was in double figures).

Was out for about 15 mins, and exhaust was still a bit smokey on return.( Possible sign of forthcoming damage?). The car did have the VW service history, but not much work had seemed to have been done on it when it had had it's 3 services. Though, on the 3 services, on the " yes" section, replacement had been made 3 times, forget what it was though. Oh, and the spare tyre was worn.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman37704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Aug 18 19:077th Aug 18 19:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The older I get, the better I was

Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy
kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator."

cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen"

"No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan

Re: VW PASSAT...advice needed : Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:59 pm  
Live Wired wrote:
Thanks for all the advice and warnings, but, I will not be buying the car I had my eye on.

Went to see it earlier. Bodywork was in excellent shape, was very pleased with the interior, and the boot was a decent size. But, on starting up, the exhaust was a bit smokey, car did'nt seem to pick up in 1st or 2nd as quickly as I thought it would, and seemed a bit sluggish. ( maybe because of a cold start, though the outdoor temp was in double figures).

Was out for about 15 mins, and exhaust was still a bit smokey on return.( Possible sign of forthcoming damage?). The car did have the VW service history, but not much work had seemed to have been done on it when it had had it's 3 services. Though, on the 3 services, on the " yes" section, replacement had been made 3 times, forget what it was though. Oh, and the spare tyre was worn.

Probably the best option.

Mine smokes on initial start-up but that's usual and is just the burn-off of exhaust system moisture but it's gone within a couple of miles. I used to get some black smoke if I booted it but that disappeared once I had it chipped. As for performance, mine accelerates hard through every gear but then it is a 175bhp.

I'd still keep a Passat in mind over most other available cars on the road.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1521No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 12 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Feb 13 09:4310th Dec 12 22:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: VW PASSAT...advice needed : Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:46 pm  
Definately. Got my heart set on getting 1, but not a 2.0, want a 1.9. reviews I've read suggest the 1.9 to be the better option, have read of too many expensive faults on the 2.0.

Looking at paying 6-7k, how much discount could I realistically expect when paying cash?
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32466No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 26 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Aug 18 19:235th Aug 18 15:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Someday everything is gonna be different, When I paint my masterpiece
------------------------------------------------------
The Jerry Chicken Blog Page
------------------------------------------------------
BUY MY ART ONLINE AT ARTGALLERY.CO.UK

AT THE RIPPINGHAM GALLERY
ART PROFILE
On Twitter
On Facebook

Re: VW PASSAT...advice needed : Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:57 pm  
Live Wired wrote:
Definately. Got my heart set on getting 1, but not a 2.0, want a 1.9. reviews I've read suggest the 1.9 to be the better option, have read of too many expensive faults on the 2.0.

Looking at paying 6-7k, how much discount could I realistically expect when paying cash?

Depends on the dealer and how bad they want to shift the car and use the cash for more stock, don't forget that they are likely to make more profit on a finance sale than a pure cash exchange, if its a model that will sell quickly they might feel its better to wait a few days for a finance customer.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3969No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 25 200915 years300th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th May 24 08:3721st Apr 24 18:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
What's the rumpus, Tom?

Pemps wrote:
I can't confirm Bennett's exact words but I believe they were along the lines of "Strewth Ian, I wouldn't touch him with yours. He's a flammin' Gala".

Wigan Peer wrote:
I keep my bin under 30mph to avoid fines... :CURTAIN:

MattyB wrote:
you cant tell me they are all busting for a turd.

Please see for me if she's wearing a coat so warm
To keep her from the howlin' winds.

Re: VW PASSAT...advice needed : Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:35 pm  
BaldRick wrote:

£500 for discs and pads ? It didn't cost that much when I recently fitted discs and pads all round on an RS4 . You must be making that one up . And yes it was OEM parts

Do you mind if i ask where you got that done?

The BMW stealers have quoted me around £570 for mine front only :lol:

I have shopped round and manged to get a quote of £240 for non OEM (Pagid) Disks and pads fully fitted, which i am relativity happy to pay. If i can knock a few quid of that i would be more than happy to travel over the Pennine's to get them done.
PreviousNext