FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Wanes position untenable?
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16990
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 200816 years74th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 24 20:2526th Apr 24 20:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Packs Win Games
Great Packs Make All Backs Look Class
#onceawirealwaysawire

Re: Wanes position untenable? : Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:11 am  
Ziggy Stardust wrote:
"I'm the most stubborn man in the world. (Owner and chairman) Ian Lenagan and (executive director) Kris Radlinski have always been loyal to me and I pick my own players. If I want a player, they say 'great' and they go and get them for me.

The fact that he has been stopped resigning these duds and giving more cash to players like Powell IS THE REASON HE IS GOING!

SW has said a couple of times, I've heard at least, that he doesn't sign the players. Kris Rad does that. He just gets on with the coaching side of things.
DaveO 
RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years314th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Mar 24 17:4528th May 22 23:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20
Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18

Re: Wanes position untenable? : Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:17 am  
phibes wrote:
It’s obvious by now that Wanes resignation was as much a shock to the players as it was for the rest of us. When I heard, my first thought was that the players, especially those who are leaving, would be extra-motivated to win everything for him, that’s what normally happens at the end of an era.

Instead they’ve gone into a tailspin either because the players are upset with their coach because he’s leaving or they’re unhappy with the club because of something to do with the manner of his leaving. If it’s the first one, we might as well get shut now because he’s lost the dresssing room. In the second case, it won’t matter much whether he stays or not unless he’s whining about his treatment to the players.

In either case, it looks a lot like sulking on the part of the players, which reflects very poorly on their professionalism.

When he first resigned I was surprised given there was improvement in the team and prospects were on the up. I always thought Wane would either be (at some point as most coaches are) sacked or carried out in a pine box. There was, I thought, no way he'd leave of his own volition. When it was announced I assumed like many others he had a job offer and I thought if so, he's made a smart move leaving while he is doing well. If he wanted a coaching career it was good to move on and not be labelled too much the one club man. I also didn't think his resignation would have a great effect on the team. We won a cup in the year Madge left for example so why would Wane saying he was going make any difference to our prospects? It seemingly has and the one thing that is different that I can see is he is not leaving for positive reasons. He's just resigned with no job to go to and contrary to expectations he has no job offer. If he'd been offered an NRL job as Madge was then he'd be leaving for positive reasons but with no job to go to he's basically just chucked in the towel.

Now that I can see affecting the morale of the squad. He just doesn't want to do the job anymore.

I have never thought Wane has exercised particularly good judgement and he often never knows when to shut up so ends up criticising individual players to the press which most other coaches would never do for example. I think he has exercised ill judgment in announcing his resignation when he did. He had no idea how it might affect the players so him doing that was all about him. He's got an ego the size of a planet so he announced it when it suited him and he got a lot of publicity out of it but given he is just walking away with no job to go to, it's no real surprise if he seemingly can't be bothered his players can't either.

Cruncher said earlier he thought Wane took a gamble in announcing his resignation when he did. What was he hoping to win from his wager? Given the team was going well I can't see why he would do it to get extra motivation to have the players send him off a champion coach. All it's seemingly done is derail the season making his job prospects worse if it carries on. Now that would be ironic. Resigned when his stock was improving even with skeptical fans and succeeds in making himself unemployable.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3787No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 10 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Jul 20 09:449th Mar 20 15:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wanes position untenable? : Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:27 am  
I pretty much agree with all of that, DaveO.
RankPostsTeam
International Star518No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20 201212 years254th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Apr 24 16:1212th Apr 24 06:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wanes position untenable? : Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:43 am  
At the end of last season all the season ticket holders were sent an email asking many questions about their match day experience. In there were questions relating to our performance . I, for one, made my feelings clear about the lack of entertainment over the previous season and beyond. If many others responded in the same way then surely the powers that be must have put this to the coaching team and the writing was probably on the wall from that point forward. I personally feel following that survey this was going to be Wanes final season at Wigan. Bar a couple of matches the arm wresting style has continued unabated . It’s just not entertaining , whether we win trophies or not. The crowds are falling and it looks like Lenegan decided at the beginning of this campaign it would be Wanes last . Maybe Wane was being ironic to tender his notice following one of the teams better displays.
I’m sure it will all come out in the wash at some point
Phuzzy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5213
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200617 years127th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 11:1926th Apr 24 14:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wanes position untenable? : Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:27 pm  
I agree Dave. I said at the time that his timing was all about him and not for the good of the team. Big mistake in my book and one that could end up tarnishing his reputation. I hope not, of course, and we go on to win the GF although that's not looking very likely at the moment.
RankPostsTeam
International Star280
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 12 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Oct 19 15:3113th Aug 18 11:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wanes position untenable? : Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:31 pm  
DaveO wrote:
Surely they are all accountable. I doubt it was Wane's idea to offer players leaving a lifeline and IMO I don't think IL could wait to re-sign them when they came available again. The recruitment is rubbish (Sarge for goodness sake) but if Wane said he wanted him why wasn't Rads presenting him with alternatives? I don't just meen for Sarge either. Finally it's Wane who runs the team day to day. He sets the tactics, picks the team and makes the substitutions. I doubt IL told him to give Powell the 7 jersey but again all three of them are culpable in giving Powell a pay rise and new deal and doing stuff like signing Navarette on a three year deal off the back of no form at all. If Wane asks for these deals and IL simply agrees you have to question IL's wisdom. It's one thing to not dictate to your coach but another to be flinging money at players you must yourself see are questionable signings.

well yes, i'm not saying that wane has no fault, but my point is this topic is all about him and I don't think the current issues at wigan are exclusively down to him which you also allude to.

i'm glad that others can see my views that the club has not been run well in recent years, away from the pitch I mean. it is a shame wane is now taking this flack, but like I say he needs to fix it by staying on to see out this year. asking for him to go or be sacked immediately is by far and away not the answer is it.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16990
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 200816 years74th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 24 20:2526th Apr 24 20:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Packs Win Games
Great Packs Make All Backs Look Class
#onceawirealwaysawire

Re: Wanes position untenable? : Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:20 pm  
What speaks volumes here....

When has IL ever kept himself shtum? He loves the sound of his own authority all over the radio (ok not as much as the Doc did).

His quietness on this matter is sends a clear signal to me of a big fallout with SW.
SW is a very proud man, he's very proud of his legacy and knows he walk with a high head. I don't believe he purposely announced his resignation as a unsettling for Wigan but because he can no longer work within the margins IL has put in place.
The decision not to continue a pursuit of the best players...like keeping Sam must have been the catalyst...I can't wait for SW's book.
DaveO 
RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years314th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Wanes position untenable? : Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:27 pm  
Phuzzy wrote:
I agree Dave. I said at the time that his timing was all about him and not for the good of the team. Big mistake in my book and one that could end up tarnishing his reputation. I hope not, of course, and we go on to win the GF although that's not looking very likely at the moment.

Same here. We did have several injuries/illness to content with and a short turnaround so it could improve quite rapidly but I think what has fans worried is the nature of the defeats and the total seeming lack of effort and direction in all three. Players arguing on the pitch is not a good sign.
Phuzzy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5213
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200617 years127th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 11:1926th Apr 24 14:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wanes position untenable? : Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:49 pm  
DaveO wrote:
Same here. We did have several injuries/illness to content with and a short turnaround so it could improve quite rapidly but I think what has fans worried is the nature of the defeats and the total seeming lack of effort and direction in all three. Players arguing on the pitch is not a good sign.

Very true and, I suppose, something of a throwback to last year so, by that measure, maybe to be expected. To lose 3 of your 4 first choice props when coming up against a big pack was always going to make it a tough ask.

In truth I didn't expect a win. What I found particularly disappointing yesterday though was that, when someone made an effort as Davies did for his try, we visibly lifted and looked like we had the beating of them or, at the very least, capable of making a game of it. Unfortunately that level of effort was coming in only short bursts and from too few players.

I think SW has a lot to answer for regarding the timing of his announcement. Although it clearly isn't the only factor it is the one that he had the most control over. In that sense it's a problem partly of his own making.
DaveO 
RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years314th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Wanes position untenable? : Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:19 pm  
Phuzzy wrote:
I think SW has a lot to answer for regarding the timing of his announcement. Although it clearly isn't the only factor it is the one that he had the most control over. In that sense it's a problem partly of his own making.

I am scratching my head wondering why at the time I didn't think it could or would have much of an effect. :THINK: He resigned shortly before the biggest game of the season up to now, the CC game v Wire, and as I said did so simply because he no longer wants to be Wigan coach or seemingly a coach at all (though what he really wants to do next is not clear to me). To see your leader chuck it in out of the blue when things were going well is bound to have had an effect. I don't think anyone can say the players professionalism should have carried them through this. It might in a few games once they get over it but I reckon the shock must have been quite something withing the tight nit environment of a pro sports team. Why Wane could not foresee the risk of this happening I don't know.

The other thought I have on this is given he doesn't want to coach Wigan anymore why did he not walk there and then having announced his resignation? If he doesn't want to be here next season what's the attraction of coaching Wigan for the next few months? Maybe his ego has him thinking the club can't so without him and he's doing it a favour. It all seems a bit condescending.
PreviousNext