FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Wanes position untenable?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 200519 years181st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Feb 24 13:2825th Feb 24 13:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wanes position untenable? : Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:43 am  
NickyKiss wrote:
Three weeks ago we were talking about how good this player was or how well that one was playing. We were saying how good the rugby had been, how aggressive we were, how we’d dominated one of the leagues better packs and ended Warringtons long unbeaten run.

You do not become a bad side overnight! The players look to be reeling from the news that their coach (for some pretty much the only coach they’ve ever had for 10+ years) is leaving and maybe they’re angry as to the reasons why (guesswork but something doesn’t feel right). I expect the players to galvanise and fight back and give the Grand Final a real tilt.

Keep the faith.

I was banging the drum earlier on in the season for SW to go, much like jonh I didn’t (and still don’t) like his style of play, his decisions baffle me and we looked clueless in attack - despite at the time being top scorers in the league. Quite rightly I was shot down, it gives me no pleasure to see the team playing the way they are.

I wanted SW out then, I still do now however when there’s no one better to replace him; why bother? I get what some are saying in that “You don’t know unless you try” but whats the point in that? Despite this ‘crisis’ we’re still 2nd in the league.

This will all blow over IMHO. It’s not the end of our season, to the contrary there’s still all to play for (minus the obvious). Sometimes it’s “better the devil you know, than the devil you don’t”.
ChrisA 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1828No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 05 200519 years247th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Apr 24 17:241st Apr 24 14:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wanes position untenable? : Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:00 am  
NickyKiss wrote:
I don’t blame Powell in the slightest, personally I feel quite sorry for him. The lad is a hooker, an honest working hooker and he’s being hung out to dry at scrum half.

As I say above we need to keep our chins up because there’s everything to play for but part of any master plan must include a new partner for Williams (who looked shackled again then free as a bird and happy to influence things for the last 15/20 mins when the game was up).

Powell is a limited player that gives everything. It's not his fault he isn't what we need, it's the fault of the coach that decided we don't need a top quality scrum half to control the team. Wane decided we needed and average Joe that will do as told, be unspectacular and go through the motions.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 10 200815 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Mar 20 08:2924th Dec 19 16:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wanes position untenable? : Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:22 am  
NickyKiss wrote:
I don’t blame Powell in the slightest, personally I feel quite sorry for him. The lad is a hooker, an honest working hooker and he’s being hung out to dry at scrum half.

As I say above we need to keep our chins up because there’s everything to play for but part of any master plan must include a new partner for Williams (who looked shackled again then free as a bird and happy to influence things for the last 15/20 mins when the game was up).

A partner for Williams? You do realise the 7 players on completely the other size of the pitch? Hard to listen at times when people don't even seem to understand the structure of a team.
Left pivot
Right pivot.
RankPostsTeam
International Star280
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 12 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Oct 19 15:3113th Aug 18 11:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wanes position untenable? : Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:32 am  
i'm getting to the point now where I do not actually feel any anger or bad feelings towards Wane. he has a tough job on to retain his reputation if he has not yet got a new position away from Wigan.

having said that, I actually think Wane has decided to leave due to the poor handling of the club, player contracts etc above Wane. I've said for a long time that the club has been badly managed in recent years and it is only in times like this that any of you even remotely agree with me.

lets think about it, would he really want Micky to have gone? would Micky have gone if the FPN issue was dealt with by the club more promptly? would he have given Williams the marquee spot if it was entirely up to him? would the Tomkins' issue have been handled promptly (assuming Wigan DID know about the incidents real time) if Wane had his way? would Wane have wanted Sam, Sutton and possibly Bateman to leave had wigan had to money to retain them?

I honestly think Wane is getting nowhere with the club, has been like this for a while and he has decided enough is enough and for that I do not fault him. the blame lies above if you ask me and it is now clearly having an impact on the players. has there been a "public" fallout within the club that has brought this on what with the many recent events, good or bad? I think so.

id expect Wane to want to stay on and try and fix this. the only way I can see him leaving early (like you say, who is available?!) is if wigan decide to cut ties. and if that does happen that will only further prove my feelings to be valid.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3019
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Aug 20 23:1416th Aug 20 23:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wanes position untenable? : Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:59 am  
WiganBurt wrote:
i'm getting to the point now where I do not actually feel any anger or bad feelings towards Wane. he has a tough job on to retain his reputation if he has not yet got a new position away from Wigan.

having said that, I actually think Wane has decided to leave due to the poor handling of the club, player contracts etc above Wane. I've said for a long time that the club has been badly managed in recent years and it is only in times like this that any of you even remotely agree with me.

lets think about it, would he really want Micky to have gone? would Micky have gone if the FPN issue was dealt with by the club more promptly? would he have given Williams the marquee spot if it was entirely up to him? would the Tomkins' issue have been handled promptly (assuming Wigan DID know about the incidents real time) if Wane had his way? would Wane have wanted Sam, Sutton and possibly Bateman to leave had wigan had to money to retain them?

I honestly think Wane is getting nowhere with the club, has been like this for a while and he has decided enough is enough and for that I do not fault him. the blame lies above if you ask me and it is now clearly having an impact on the players. has there been a "public" fallout within the club that has brought this on what with the many recent events, good or bad? I think so.

id expect Wane to want to stay on and try and fix this. the only way I can see him leaving early (like you say, who is available?!) is if wigan decide to cut ties. and if that does happen that will only further prove my feelings to be valid.

"I'm the most stubborn man in the world. (Owner and chairman) Ian Lenagan and (executive director) Kris Radlinski have always been loyal to me and I pick my own players. If I want a player, they say 'great' and they go and get them for me.

The fact that he has been stopped resigning these duds and giving more cash to players like Powell IS THE REASON HE IS GOING!
RankPostsTeam
International Star280
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 12 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Oct 19 15:3113th Aug 18 11:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wanes position untenable? : Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:05 am  
Ziggy Stardust wrote:
"I'm the most stubborn man in the world. (Owner and chairman) Ian Lenagan and (executive director) Kris Radlinski have always been loyal to me and I pick my own players. If I want a player, they say 'great' and they go and get them for me.

The fact that he has been stopped resigning these duds and giving more cash to players like Powell IS THE REASON HE IS GOING!

whether that is the case or not surely the onus is on the people in higher positions to dictate or at least provide input. again that is not wane's fault, if he has been given free reign the fault lies with who has given him that power, not him himself.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29254
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years14th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 15:2816th Apr 24 20:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wanes position untenable? : Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:27 am  
Last Son of Wigan wrote:
A partner for Williams? You do realise the 7 players on completely the other size of the pitch? Hard to listen at times when people don't even seem to understand the structure of a team.
Left pivot
Right pivot.

Fully understand thanks.

They’ll always be called halfback partners regardless of them being split or not. When I say he needs a ‘partner’ I mean in the sense that he needs somebody to take the burden off him in regards to creating and organising the team. At the minute it feels like all our hopes of breaking a team down fall at his feet and he looks like he’s going under.
DaveO 
RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Mar 24 17:4528th May 22 23:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20
Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18

Re: Wanes position untenable? : Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:33 am  
WiganBurt wrote:
whether that is the case or not surely the onus is on the people in higher positions to dictate or at least provide input. again that is not wane's fault, if he has been given free reign the fault lies with who has given him that power, not him himself.

Surely they are all accountable. I doubt it was Wane's idea to offer players leaving a lifeline and IMO I don't think IL could wait to re-sign them when they came available again. The recruitment is rubbish (Sarge for goodness sake) but if Wane said he wanted him why wasn't Rads presenting him with alternatives? I don't just meen for Sarge either. Finally it's Wane who runs the team day to day. He sets the tactics, picks the team and makes the substitutions. I doubt IL told him to give Powell the 7 jersey but again all three of them are culpable in giving Powell a pay rise and new deal and doing stuff like signing Navarette on a three year deal off the back of no form at all. If Wane asks for these deals and IL simply agrees you have to question IL's wisdom. It's one thing to not dictate to your coach but another to be flinging money at players you must yourself see are questionable signings.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1522No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 29 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Jan 22 12:533rd May 20 10:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wanes position untenable? : Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:37 am  
http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/n ... jaznurzq0d

In 2018, new Blues coach Brad Fittler has all but guaranteed James Maloney to start in the halves for his side as they look to end Queensland's unquestioned dominance.However, who will partner him is still up in the air with the likes of Nathan Cleary, Jack Bird, Adam Reynolds and Luke Keary all possible candidates.
http://www.sportingnews.com/au/league/n ... jaznurzq0d

In 2018, new Blues coach Brad Fittler has all but guaranteed James Maloney to start in the halves for his side as they look to end Queensland's unquestioned dominance.However, who will partner him is still up in the air with the likes of Nathan Cleary, Jack Bird, Adam Reynolds and Luke Keary all possible candidates.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4784No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 10 200815 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Mar 20 08:2924th Dec 19 16:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Wanes position untenable? : Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:59 am  
NickyKiss wrote:
Fully understand thanks.

They’ll always be called halfback partners regardless of them being split or not. When I say he needs a ‘partner’ I mean in the sense that he needs somebody to take the burden off him in regards to creating and organising the team. At the minute it feels like all our hopes of breaking a team down fall at his feet and he looks like he’s going under.

Sorry Nicky, was said in jest!

I think a lot falls on Lockers. He's the link between the 6 and 7, however teams can see what we're doing coming a mile off. by the time the ball reaches the 6/7 the other teams edge defence is all over them.

I don't even know who our attacking team coach is.
PreviousNext

Subject: 
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Wigan Warriors

RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Ticketmaster update
NickyKiss
12m
St Helens
Abe Froman
17m
RD 8 Huddersfield Giants H