OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 14:3927th Apr 24 13:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
once a black and white always a black and white COYH

Chris Davidson : Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:14 am  
Our scrum half in the 60s and 70s. Sadly passed away at the weekend. For those of us who had the privilege to see him play will know what a great player he was. Tough as they come to. RIP Chris
RankPostsTeam
International Star3454
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 17 201311 years14th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 22:0027th Apr 24 17:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Chris Davidson : Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:21 am  
hull2524 wrote:
Our scrum half in the 60s and 70s. Sadly passed away at the weekend. For those of us who had the privilege to see him play will know what a great player he was. Tough as they come to. RIP Chris

Sad news. Condolences to his family and friends.

He was a bit before my time but I've heard that he was a quality player and a tough cookie.

Hopefully Pete will post a tribute.
RankPostsTeam
International Star6581
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 23 20186 years41st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Apr 24 00:5324th Apr 24 16:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Chris Davidson : Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:38 am  
Sad news and condolences to the family.

Chris was a fine scrum half, a great competitor and was one tough player, I think his exploits alerted the attention of Wigan, but apparently he declined their offer, to stay with his local side, it was a lifetime ago, I’m sure Wilf will clarify the story, personally I was always happy when he was down to play, his partnerships with Bri Hancock and at times Terry Dev lit the Boulevard up.

Chris was also a local landlord in Hull, and I’ve personally witnessed him let’s say deterring unruly behaviour in the Kingfisher single handed, he wasn’t very big, but no one messed with him. Fabulous memories of the great Chris Davidson, another Old Faithful gone, but never forgotten.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7218No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 07 200518 years30th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 20:0327th Apr 24 05:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!

Re: Chris Davidson : Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:58 pm  
What a guy he was and what servant to our club. Rather like Keith Boxall it was such a shame that he was just too old to feature with the great team of the early 80's.

He was indeed approached by Wigan and many said Leeds as well, but wanted only to play for his local Club, which, during his year lighting up the Boulevard in the mud, was often a lost cause. He played from 64 to 79 and almost 300 games. I remember well the Dobbins beating us in the Yorkshire Cup final in the 60's when despite being on the losing side Chris got man of the match, he got a winners medal 2 years later against Featherstone. Many won't realise that he played the last few seasons with a troublesome knee injury that would have seen the end to many players careers, I seem to remember he got it at the start of the 1975 season but refused to have an operation and instead played on because of his love for the club in what were desperate days. He just loved the Hull FC, the crowd and pulling on that shirt, so he played on.

He did at least get to play in the same team as Knocker and Vince Farrer before he retired, but most will remember him often over the years partnering Kenny Foulkes and the great Brian Hancock. David Doyle Davidson, possibly our most under rated coach of all time, has a great respect for him and what he did for the club. He always played well against Leeds at the Boulevard and I bet they hated him for he would always be there to drop a goal or make a telling tackle just when the games big time Charlies were on the ascendancy.

But most of all he was a character , something the modern game lacks so much. You see he could mix it too and despite his size he never backed away from an antagonising forward as well as at times being able to do a bit of it as well. He seemed to never leave the field without being covered head to foot in mud. He probably detested Leeds as much as we did and he was instrumental in that great run we had against them when whatever either team's fortunes, we still seemed to beat them.

Chris was Hull through and through and in later life I visited his home and he was still full of stories as he lived quite near me and you could always tell him from afar in Beverley, because of his distinctive limp which never left him. The scars of battle eh? He was a Real hero and a true great and I thank him for all the memories. Some of us are just so lucky to have actually watched such players who were real folk hero's of their time.

R.I.P. Chris Davidson. - Thanks for the memories.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3454
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 17 201311 years14th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 22:0027th Apr 24 17:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Chris Davidson : Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:53 pm  
The Dentist Wilf wrote:
What a guy he was and what servant to our club. Rather like Keith Boxall it was such a shame that he was just too old to feature with the great team of the early 80's.

He was indeed approached by Wigan and many said Leeds as well, but wanted only to play for his local Club, which, during his year lighting up the Boulevard in the mud, was often a lost cause. He played from 64 to 79 and almost 300 games. I remember well the Dobbins beating us in the Yorkshire Cup final in the 60's when despite being on the losing side Chris got man of the match, he got a winners medal 2 years later against Featherstone. Many won't realise that he played the last few seasons with a troublesome knee injury that would have seen the end to many players careers, I seem to remember he got it at the start of the 1975 season but refused to have an operation and instead played on because of his love for the club in what were desperate days. He just loved the Hull FC, the crowd and pulling on that shirt, so he played on.

He did at least get to play in the same team as Knocker and Vince Farrer before he retired, but most will remember him often over the years partnering Kenny Foulkes and the great Brian Hancock. David Doyle Davidson, possibly our most under rated coach of all time, has a great respect for him and what he did for the club. He always played well against Leeds at the Boulevard and I bet they hated him for he would always be there to drop a goal or make a telling tackle just when the games big time Charlies were on the ascendancy.

But most of all he was a character , something the modern game lacks so much. You see he could mix it too and despite his size he never backed away from an antagonising forward as well as at times being able to do a bit of it as well. He seemed to never leave the field without being covered head to foot in mud. He probably detested Leeds as much as we did and he was instrumental in that great run we had against them when whatever either team's fortunes, we still seemed to beat them.

Chris was Hull through and through and in later life I visited his home and he was still full of stories as he lived quite near me and you could always tell him from afar in Beverley, because of his distinctive limp which never left him. The scars of battle eh? He was a Real hero and a true great and I thank him for all the memories. Some of us are just so lucky to have actually watched such players who were real folk hero's of their time.

R.I.P. Chris Davidson. - Thanks for the memories.

Fitting tribute to one of our own.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1351
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 22 200816 years289th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 21:1019th Feb 24 19:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Born and raised on Black and White

Re: Chris Davidson : Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:47 pm  
Good player was Chris,last of the three Wilberforce High kids after Shaun O'Brian and Tony Duke. As kids they all lived within a couple of hundred yards of each other, Clarendon Street and Wawne Street, think Chris lived near Clarendon pub. Chris played in the days of endless mud and faded shirts and socks but seemed to thrive on it. What we would give for a local player like that now, R.I.P. Chris, you were a good un.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2294
JoinedServiceReputation
May 24 201113 years35th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 22:4226th Apr 24 21:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Chris Davidson : Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:04 pm  
I mentioned him in a post last Saturday on the “Where are we going” thread. The 70’s were dire times but lit up by Chris, all heart and a clubman to the core. Unfortunately we’ll never see his like again. RIP Chris Davidson, another Old Faithful gone to play eternal RL in front of The Threepennies in the sky.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain671No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 04 20168 years225th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 24 14:5323rd Apr 24 16:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Chris Davidson : Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:25 pm