FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Smith - should he stay or should he go?
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player596No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 13 20204 years100th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 20:3412th May 24 18:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:52 pm  
bonaire wrote:
I doubt there is a coach in the top three divisions of R/L who could have done a worse job than Tony Smith since he arrived.Smith has done nothing apart from make us the most undisciplined team in S/L
He has pulled the wool over the eyes of Pearson.
Is it difficult to get a team superbly fit NO
Is it difficult to work and work on defence and create a team thats difficult to beat NO
Is it difficult to elimate/vastly reduce on field indiscipline and unforced errors NO other teams do it
A disciplinarian coach like McDermott has its merits especially in our situation but i dont think these players are are bad as they are making themselves out to be on the field.They are showing a lazy cant be bothered attitude and thats down to the coach.
Its all about Smiths lack of abilty or desire to instill respect for the club,discipline and work ethic desire into the players.
This squad would never be a top four side but could be far better with a coach who is not full of himself from his past achievements and who has failed miserably in the job he was hired to do.
This country seems to reward failure.
I think we can all understand the embarrassment Pearson must be feeling with yet another failed appointment but Smith has to go.
If you cant afford to pay him off Adam then create a situation where he has to resign.
leave Grix till the end of the season with the mandate to get the team ultra fit,work and work on defence which will add confidence to the team then create an attacking structure.
Thats for this season
What comes next Adam is up to you

Agree with every word, another thing to add is who would want to come to the SL coach graveyard that is Hull fc?
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player432No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 02 20231 year151st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 07:1112th May 24 07:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:59 pm  
bonaire wrote:
I doubt there is a coach in the top three divisions of R/L who could have done a worse job than Tony Smith since he arrived.Smith has done nothing apart from make us the most undisciplined team in S/L
He has pulled the wool over the eyes of Pearson.
Is it difficult to get a team superbly fit NO
Is it difficult to work and work on defence and create a team thats difficult to beat NO
Is it difficult to elimate/vastly reduce on field indiscipline and unforced errors NO other teams do it
A disciplinarian coach like McDermott has its merits especially in our situation but i dont think these players are are bad as they are making themselves out to be on the field.They are showing a lazy cant be bothered attitude and thats down to the coach.
Its all about Smiths lack of abilty or desire to instill respect for the club,discipline and work ethic desire into the players.
This squad would never be a top four side but could be far better with a coach who is not full of himself from his past achievements and who has failed miserably in the job he was hired to do.
This country seems to reward failure.
I think we can all understand the embarrassment Pearson must be feeling with yet another failed appointment but Smith has to go.
If you cant afford to pay him off Adam then create a situation where he has to resign.
leave Grix till the end of the season with the mandate to get the team ultra fit,work and work on defence which will add confidence to the team then create an attacking structure.
Thats for this season
What comes next Adam is up to you

Agree with 99.9% of this apart from Grix…have seen nothing from him and as part of the coaching team he is responsible as well.Not doing anything more than Ellis imo.
HU8HFC 
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player675No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 09 20222 years68th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 15:489th May 24 18:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:01 pm  
As touched on in another thread…

It sounds as if the current coaching methods at this club is a shambles.

I suppose it may be his style, but it appears that Tony is incredibly laid back in his approach to training, to the extent where we go into games without even having a game plan (kicking early in sets, targeting a teams weaknesses,etc). Told on good authority that a player who I won’t name had gone a couple weeks without even having a conversation with Tony, how are players supposed to improve and “right their wrongs” as we have been told they are trying to when the coach doesn’t even go out their way to speak to a regular first team player?

I didn’t get the impression that the player’s particularly get on well with the coaching staff either, with one of the coaches been branded ‘a weirdo’.

I was delighted we got him at the time, but it just feels like Tony is too passive, Rovers players are genuinely scared on Willie Peters, they rarely go out on the lash because of how strict they know he can be, call it tough but that’s how it should be and I can’t help but think we would be at least making a better fist of it if we had a coach with that type of mindset.
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player432No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 02 20231 year151st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 07:1112th May 24 07:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:04 pm  
HU8HFC wrote:

I suppose it may be his style, but it appears that Tony is incredibly laid back in his approach to training, to the extent where we go into games without even having a game plan (kicking early in sets, targeting a teams weaknesses,etc). Told on good authority that a player who I won’t name had gone a couple weeks without even having a conversation with Tony, how are players supposed to improve and “right their wrongs” as we have been told they are trying to when the coach doesn’t even go out their way to speak to a regular first team player?

I didn’t get the impression that the player’s particularly get on well with the coaching staff either, with one of the coaches been branded ‘a weirdo’.

I was delighted we got him at the time, but it just feels like Tony is too passive, Rovers players are genuinely scared on Willie Peters, they rarely go out on the lash because of how strict they know he can be, call it tough but that’s how it should be and I can’t help but think we would be at least making a better fist of it if we had a coach with that type of mindset.

Remember Peter sharp dropping Raynor for being late for training and he’d been in charge about a month and the “story” about Danny Brough.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3540
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 17 201311 years13th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 21:5312th May 24 19:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:13 pm  
HU8HFC wrote:

I was delighted we got him at the time, but it just feels like Tony is too passive,
Rovers players are genuinely scared on Willie Peters, they rarely go out on the lash
because of how strict they know he can be, call it tough but that’s how it should be and I can’t help but think we would be at least making a better fist of it if we had a coach with that type of mindset.

To be fair anybody would be scared to go out on the lash with Willie Peters.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach3558
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 03 200420 years139th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 09:5810th May 24 08:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I have lost interest

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:55 pm  
Is Tony Smith our Boy George

He’s trying to focus on

Culture Club !!!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1528No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 14 200915 years125th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 17:5911th May 24 22:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:14 pm  
The guy has had the worst injury list and worst suspension list than any other coach for the opening of the season. And he didn't have the strongest of squads to start with.

while i understand the disappoitntment and embarassment of our start to the season, I'm happy to let him be the one to turn it around. i dont see what changing coach will achieve at this point, I think the guy is doing it tough at the moment and I want to see how he rises to the challenge over the coming months.

Lee Radford had banners made for his sacking before he went on to create the greatest days in Hull FC days as fans..

Manchester United fans wanted Sir Alex out in the late 80s. And he went on to outdo Sir Matt Busby.

sometimes you have to experience the lowest points to realise the oppertunties that are availlable.

Just like any team, if we had our best players on the field consistantly, then we'd compete consistsntly
RankPostsTeam
International Star2314
JoinedServiceReputation
May 24 201113 years38th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 15:5112th May 24 15:51LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:56 pm  
EtonStreetRifle wrote:
"We need to toughen up across the board," Smith said post-match. We need to make sure we’re doing our own jobs really well. We’ve all got to take responsibility for that and at the moment we know it’s not good enough."

Tony Smith HDM 23.03.24

The mould is set gentlemen and the people that run the club on our behalf are not going to change their minds no matter how much we whine and protest. Smith is trying to build a culture of collaboration and like it or not, it is our responsibility to support the current set up in any kind of weather. We know that we are the best supporters in rugby league (despite what the noveau riche of East Hull shout). I am not suggesting that we become a bunch of happy clappers but criticise where necessary in a positive manner. If you feel that the players, coaching staff, CEO or owner aren't deserving of our support that's fair enough. But surely we all love this club enough to get behind it for the sake of the loved ones who indoctrinated each of us, the badge, the heritage, the tradition and our responsibility to one another?

Some of the best times I've had as a supporter have been when the team are dire but the passion and unity amongst supporters has endured. It's what makes the successful times all the sweeter. I don't buy into this modern culture of everyone stamps their feet and gets what they want, when they want it. It is time to turn the morgue that is the MKM into a fortress, simply turning up and sitting there quietly is not an option. Let's fulfill our match day responsibilities and get behind the team vociferously. If we get hammered, nobody can then criticise the lack of support.!!

Wow been waiting for a club rallying call but never thought AP would do it on this forum
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1528No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 14 200915 years125th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 17:5911th May 24 22:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:44 am  
If this season so far was a game of poker, then Smith has beenn dealt a hand of 7 2 every week. And I hate to feel sorry for ourselves, and make excuses. But the facts are that every single game so far this season we've been dealt a hand of 7 2. We were into the loan market after week 3 of the season.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3015No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 13 201212 years237th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th May 24 17:369th May 24 17:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:09 am  
Hull probably have been unlucky with injuries and suspensions so far, but then is it luck or does it come down to training? Or a lack of it?
FC don't look fit, and when your not fit the fatigue soon kicks in, then the penalties and indiscipline follow, as do the injuries.
Jake Clifford just told you all about how easy pre season was under Toys out,
You need someone that's gonna crack the whip and get the players working hard and fully fit, oh and culture is great but attitude is better
Dont tell TS that though or he'll banish you to train the academy (Danny McGuire) or he'll just sack you off (Gareth Ellis) and surround himself with YES men.

Pre seasons obviously finished now so he has no real chance of getting your lads much fitter either, just ticking over what there already doing.
PreviousNext