FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Smith - should he stay or should he go?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4379No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 04 200816 years280th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd May 24 18:562nd May 24 18:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Never mind the bollox,bring on the rugby:

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:21 pm  
Even if Smith left,we would be left with Grix and Cummins (Stan would have to go back to hanging around Caravan park).If someone is needed to kick them up the backsides,then why would people think about Brian McDermott? Not my cup of tea ideally,but someone prepared to come in and shake people around is definitely needed
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player261No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 10 20231 year200th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 16:4213th May 24 09:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:23 pm  
EtonStreetRifle wrote:
I know, this is how bad it has become. But at least we'd be sticking together as a support base and fulfilling our stakeholder responsibilities. Better than sitting there like corpses I would have thought?

I think the poster above has summed it up perfectly. The club and fans are so far apart at the minute, and the performances aren’t making us want to get behind them as it’s just heavy defeat after heavy defeat. I know pass holders who’ve paid for their tickets and aren’t even going.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player597No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 13 20204 years101st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th May 24 08:4413th May 24 08:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:27 pm  
jimmyfivebellies wrote:
Even if Smith left,we would be left with Grix and Cummins (Stan would have to go back to hanging around Caravan park).If someone is needed to kick them up the backsides,then why would people think about Brian McDermott? Not my cup of tea ideally,but someone prepared to come in and shake people around is definitely needed

I don't think McDermott would be ideal but he's the sort of character we need, someone who won't take any sh#t and is a fiery character, Wane would be the ideal choice but there's no chance of that happening.
BP1 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach952
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200519 years154th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 20:2513th May 24 12:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
In the land of wishful thinking once more. Patiently waiting for our time to finally arrive.
Signature
I've been on the internet and have already got a sense of the fans' passion for the club. They are very fanatical - Peter Gentle 12th September 2011.

Money doesn't talk it swears, Obscenity who really cares, Propaganda all is phony.

I'm the son and heir of a shyness which is criminally vulgar.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.

A man who lives in hell can still aspire to heaven.

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:33 pm  
EtonStreetRifle wrote:
You miss my point Mrs Barista which I probably didn't convey very eloquently. I got a bit Brave heart by the time I'd finished typing!) . I'm doing my fair share of being a spoilt whinger myself. My point is that it won't get us anywhere and we would be better off focusing our frustration on being the loyal, passionate, vocal group of supporters that we know we are...thereby responsibility as supporters achieved and over to you Messrs Pearson and Smith.

It's always a tricky one for supporters when their club is in a situation such as the one we find ourselves in right now. How do fans register their unhappiness and concerns with what's happening without harming the club any further.

We could all refuse to attend until we see concrete changes being made, but the end result of that (over a prolonged period) would most likely see the club fold which I doubt any of us want?

On the other hand, if attendances remained high without a single dissenting voice (even though the team continued to get battered week on week) then the club hierarchy would probably take the view that all is well and they retain full support for their actions (which is what they most likely would tell themselves in that instance).

Like I say, it's a conundrum, how do you make a protest at a situation without making that situation even worse! This is the rock and hard place we find ourselves in right now.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain672No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 04 20168 years228th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 16:3529th Apr 24 10:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:07 pm  
the cal train wrote:
Smith, Gene, Pearson, Clarke (what does actually do, given Pearson wields absolute power?) can all clear off for me. We might not have a club in a couple of years without them, won’t have one with them either.

Get rid of that matchday DJ too before they make him CFO.

I agree on the DJ hes changed the walk on music to Send in tthe clowns.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7234No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 07 200518 years29th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th May 24 10:5812th May 24 18:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:58 pm  
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12596
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 200717 years128th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th May 24 06:4711th May 24 07:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:01 pm  
BP1 wrote:
It's always a tricky one for supporters when their club is in a situation such as the one we find ourselves in right now. How do fans register their unhappiness and concerns with what's happening without harming the club any further.

We could all refuse to attend until we see concrete changes being made, but the end result of that (over a prolonged period) would most likely see the club fold which I doubt any of us want?

On the other hand, if attendances remained high without a single dissenting voice (even though the team continued to get battered week on week) then the club hierarchy would probably take the view that all is well and they retain full support for their actions (which is what they most likely would tell themselves in that instance).

Like I say, it's a conundrum, how do you make a protest at a situation without making that situation even worse! This is the rock and hard place we find ourselves in right now.

Fair points. Looking at this and the point about the fans being divided, I don’t think Hull fans are clear what they should be protesting about. There’s nothing much to rally to or against.

Pearson saved the club from going bust, oversaw the winning of the cup twice and pretty much had to take that COVID loan. Despite your frustrations, I think you all know that even when he’s made mistakes he’s meant well. It’s hard to get a rage on against that. Clark is just admin and implementation.

Smith… I’d agree he’s under delivering but he is constrained by resources. A shouty coach might make you feel better briefly but it doesn’t really address the underlying issue.

The squad isn’t very good, but banners and slogans won’t make them better.

You kind of need a galvanising event or intervention, even if it isn’t something nice. As sickening as those last couple of minutes in the 2016 MPG were for Rovers fans, it at least showed clearly what the path needed to be - as rocky as it was going to be, and that was better than the drift that preceded it.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7234
JoinedServiceReputation
May 06 200915 years31st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 20:2212th May 24 16:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
once a black and white always a black and white COYH

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:07 pm  
Mild Rover wrote:
Fair points. Looking at this and the point about the fans being divided, I don’t think Hull fans are clear what they should be protesting about. There’s nothing much to rally to or against.

Pearson saved the club from going bust, oversaw the winning of the cup twice and pretty much had to take that COVID loan. Despite your frustrations, I think you all know that even when he’s made mistakes he’s meant well. It’s hard to get a rage on against that. Clark is just admin and implementation.Fair post mate

Smith… I’d agree he’s under delivering but he is constrained by resources. A shouty coach might make you feel better briefly but it doesn’t really address the underlying issue.

The squad isn’t very good, but banners and slogans won’t make them better.

You kind of need a galvanising event or intervention, even if it isn’t something nice. As sickening as those last couple of minutes in the 2016 MPG were for Rovers fans, it at least showed clearly what the path needed to be - as rocky as it was going to be, and that was better than the drift that preceded it.
RankPostsTeam
Junior Player167
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 16 20240 years201st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th May 24 07:5013th May 24 15:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:52 pm  
The Dentist Wilf wrote:
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/hull-fcs-deepest-frailties-show-9186092

This is very nail on the head stuff. Don't think you'll find many fans, if any, that disagree.
RankPostsTeam
International Star7103No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 04 201410 years8th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th May 24 17:2813th May 24 15:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:29 pm  
Yippee try yay wrote:
I don't think McDermott would be ideal but he's the sort of character we need, someone who won't take any sh#t and is a fiery character, Wane would be the ideal choice but there's no chance of that happening.

I doubt there is a coach in the top three divisions of R/L who could have done a worse job than Tony Smith since he arrived.Smith has done nothing apart from make us the most undisciplined team in S/L
He has pulled the wool over the eyes of Pearson.
Is it difficult to get a team superbly fit NO
Is it difficult to work and work on defence and create a team thats difficult to beat NO
Is it difficult to elimate/vastly reduce on field indiscipline and unforced errors NO other teams do it
A disciplinarian coach like McDermott has its merits especially in our situation but i dont think these players are are bad as they are making themselves out to be on the field.They are showing a lazy cant be bothered attitude and thats down to the coach.
Its all about Smiths lack of abilty or desire to instill respect for the club,discipline and work ethic desire into the players.
This squad would never be a top four side but could be far better with a coach who is not full of himself from his past achievements and who has failed miserably in the job he was hired to do.
This country seems to reward failure.
I think we can all understand the embarrassment Pearson must be feeling with yet another failed appointment but Smith has to go.
If you cant afford to pay him off Adam then create a situation where he has to resign.
leave Grix till the end of the season with the mandate to get the team ultra fit,work and work on defence which will add confidence to the team then create an attacking structure.
Thats for this season
What comes next Adam is up to you
PreviousNext

Subject: 
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Hull FC

RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shopping list for 2025
mwindass
4m
London Away
bonaire
8m
Rumours thread