JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 06 200519 years276th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Oct 23 19:4613th Nov 22 01:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Youth set up merger : Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:53 am  
A few years ago the Newcastle Knights had a local billionaire running the team and he made the decision to set up the best possible junior development.
He put Wayne Bennett on to the task, and Wayne hired ex Australian coach Graham Murray to design the programme.
What they did was decide to put all the money into identifying talent at the earliest possible age and train about 10 kids across the age groups at the sort of level you would expect young Olympic hopefuls to train. They set up what is called the High Performance Unit with a skills coach (former firstgrade halfback Troy Pezet) and a Phd qualified trainer (Englishman Colin Sanctuary). The first guy to "graduate" from the high performance unit is Sione Mataútia who last year became the youngest ever player for Australia. The next two to come through will be halves pairing Jack Cogger and Brock Lamb. Those two have represented NSW and Australia in every team since they were 14 and were the halves for Australian Schoolboys earlier this year, where Lamb was MOTM in 2 games, playing against boys up to 2 years older than himself. Lamb is the most skilful 17 year old player I've ever seen. He has kicking and playmaking skills that any firstgrade half would envy.

The point is, smaller numbers of elite juniors getting a lot of time and money spent on them seems to be working for the Knights. I suppose time will tell if these guys go on with it, but I can name you 10 Knights juniors who have skills like 10 year NRL veterans, because they got firstgrade level coaching and training from age 13 or 14.

As a side note, the first choice to run the High Performance Unit at the Knights was a guy named Graig Sandercock, but he turned the job down because he got a head coaching job instead.
Rommel 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach5849
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 24 200420 years256th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Mar 24 12:1225th Mar 24 12:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Ahh Tesco
Building St Helens & Warrington's future
Destroying Wigans past

"Viva Ben Flower, Viva Ben Flower, could have won the cup but you Messed it up Viva Ben Flower"

Re: Youth set up merger : Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:31 am  
Mild Rover wrote:
Wigan and Leeds invest heavily, not so much because they're wiser, but mostly because they're richer.

Look who have the best academy's and who are top of the table?

Look who have the most academy trained players in there first team and where are they in the league?

Investing in youth is the only way to support the first team and merging will help but is doomed for failure when the other team take a rising star?
RankPostsTeam
International Star2862
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 17 200914 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Dec 17 14:1413th Dec 17 08:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
JOHN THE REDBOY I have been a rovers fan all my life and my grandkids are as well

Re: Youth set up merger : Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:18 am  
I have read this now 3 or 4 times but can not get my head round it the first time i read it i thought no way but now if and its a big if its done right it might be the start of something good for both teams until it does i will keep my fingers crossed and hope :THINK:
RankPostsTeam
International Star334No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 28 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Jun 18 10:0417th May 18 21:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Youth set up merger : Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:06 am  
I must admit, yesterday it seemed like chaos would be the only outcome, but having slept on it and reading various bits and pieces including the bit from Roopy as you say, if its done in the right way it could work. we aren't talking about 20 players making the first team squads every year because that just isnt happening now we are lucky to get one a year, but if we can ( and its a big can) produce 4 or 5 S/L class players between us each season it is absolutely massive. If both KR & FC could introduce 2 new SL quality home grown players each season, as are the wigans, saints and leeds of this world, imo it could be a risk worth taking. There is the concern over a lack of identity for the players, but on the other hand Scott Taylor, an FC fan came through our ranks, because we gave him the opportunity. Now I know he is back there next season, but thats his choice. It will be a bitter pill to swallow for the current crop of players, but if the joint academy can scout around the local sides correctly, from U9/10 upwards it could be massive for both clubs......or it could fall flat on it's booty, but at least we have tried something different and new rather than waiting for somebody else to take the lead. could you imagine if salford and widnes or cas and wakie had done it first and left us behind. We would call our clubs backwards and stuck in the dark ages.

Well that's my head above the parapit!
Aldy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach582No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 08 200915 years295th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Nov 23 14:217th Nov 23 18:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Youth set up merger : Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:12 am  
LifeLongHKRFan wrote:
What happens if Hull have 1st pick and they pick a talented player who doesn't want to go to Hull FC or vice versa?

Adam Pearson & Mike Smith stated they will adopt a NFL type draft system with FC & KR having first choice alternate years. If that system is adopted a player can refuse to join that team but will then have to sit the season out and join the following year's draft or the team in question can claim compensation.
Aldy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach582No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 08 200915 years295th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Nov 23 14:217th Nov 23 18:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Youth set up merger : Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:10 am  
Craig Murdock is spot on if a player is good enough to play first team rugby at 17 which team does he play for
http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Combined ... story.html
Craig Murdock is spot on if a player is good enough to play first team rugby at 17 which team does he play for
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2490
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200717 years270th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Aug 22 21:1324th Aug 22 14:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Youth set up merger : Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:35 am  
Aldy wrote:

Don't forget Craig has a vested interest as he is a players agent the more kids playing at our clubs is in his interest, he would be against a merger.
The only down side I can see is if the new set up finds new Daren lockyear or Brad Fittler there might be an interesting tug of war, but I would expect Wigan Leeds or Saints to pinch him of us anyway.
I will watch with interest, My initial thoughts are posative as we loose to many kids who will never be good enough for the first teams. That weakens the local amature clubs. I still think that the local clubs should be the ones to coach & bring on the players of the future, I am not against the pro clubs getting involved with training camps or the odd acadamy type game or bring in the top talent for extra training & help.
Aldy wrote:

Don't forget Craig has a vested interest as he is a players agent the more kids playing at our clubs is in his interest, he would be against a merger.
The only down side I can see is if the new set up finds new Daren lockyear or Brad Fittler there might be an interesting tug of war, but I would expect Wigan Leeds or Saints to pinch him of us anyway.
I will watch with interest, My initial thoughts are posative as we loose to many kids who will never be good enough for the first teams. That weakens the local amature clubs. I still think that the local clubs should be the ones to coach & bring on the players of the future, I am not against the pro clubs getting involved with training camps or the odd acadamy type game or bring in the top talent for extra training & help.
RankPostsTeam
International Star307
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 27 201410 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Nov 17 06:3015th Nov 17 06:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Youth set up merger : Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:07 am  
Not a fan by any stretch but will wait until more details are unveiled before further criticism.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8259
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 05 200618 years41st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 12:0327th Mar 24 09:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Youth set up merger : Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:01 pm  
I really don't like the sound of the kit - yellow and blue?? nooooo!
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12568
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 200717 years121st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 23:2225th Mar 24 07:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Re: Youth set up merger : Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:35 pm  
Aldy wrote:

How often is that likely to be an issue though? Most youngsters are 18/19 before they're even ready for dual-reg with a Championship club.
It's pretty rare for a player to make his debut before going full-time, I think. Lancaster maybe did at Hull, in fairness.

The obvious solution would be that the team that wants to play him and drafts him into their squad and losses their first pick in the next draft. If the other team has the next first pick and wants the same player, there could be an issue, I suppose. But they've got 4 years to sort it out, and how many initiatives last that long in RL anyway? :(
Aldy wrote:

How often is that likely to be an issue though? Most youngsters are 18/19 before they're even ready for dual-reg with a Championship club.
It's pretty rare for a player to make his debut before going full-time, I think. Lancaster maybe did at Hull, in fairness.

The obvious solution would be that the team that wants to play him and drafts him into their squad and losses their first pick in the next draft. If the other team has the next first pick and wants the same player, there could be an issue, I suppose. But they've got 4 years to sort it out, and how many initiatives last that long in RL anyway? :(
PreviousNext