FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Castleford Tigers - Leeds Rhinos LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Latest
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Reserve team in 2017
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12568
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 200717 years122nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 14:3725th Mar 24 07:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Reserve team in 2017 : Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:09 am  
I know many people on here actually attend games, so might have missed Jon Wells announcing on Sky that Rovers will be running an under-23s/reserve team next year.

I expect it'll be widely welcomed, though I admit to remaining sceptical about some of the arguments advanced in it's favour.

What I did think was interesting is that Wells said he'd spoken to people in the know, and the cost is lower than you might expect - £30-40k. Bit of a no-brainier in that case. Surely though, that must just be the cost of travel and kit and referees? We've sometimes struggled to field 17 this year, never mind 34, so we'll need a bigger squad next year, which even if we make up numbers with part-timers on a few grand each, soon tots up. If it is just amateurs, I'm not sure that is much of a stepping stone.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2862
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 17 200914 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Dec 17 14:1413th Dec 17 08:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
JOHN THE REDBOY I have been a rovers fan all my life and my grandkids are as well

Re: Reserve team in 2017 : Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:25 am  
Mild Rover wrote:
I know many people on here actually attend games, so might have missed Jon Wells announcing on Sky that Rovers will be running an under-23s/reserve team next year.

I expect it'll be widely welcomed, though I admit to remaining sceptical about some of the arguments advanced in it's favour.

What I did think was interesting is that Wells said he'd spoken to people in the know, and the cost is lower than you might expect - £30-40k. Bit of a no-brainier in that case. Surely though, that must just be the cost of travel and kit and referees? We've sometimes struggled to field 17 this year, never mind 34, so we'll need a bigger squad next year, which even if we make up numbers with part-timers on a few grand each, soon tots up. If it is just amateurs, I'm not sure that is much of a stepping stone.

And what he said makes sense when you look at the top 5 teams all have a reserve teem we will be playing catch up again but it has got to be better it was good when we had a A teem when i was a lad went to loads of them so lots of good plays before they got to play first team G Miller played is first game their for rovers and meany more so a good thing i think :)
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12568
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 200717 years122nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Re: Reserve team in 2017 : Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:36 am  
cravenpark1 wrote:
when you look at the top 5 teams all have a reserve teem )

Aye, but Saints, Wigan and Warrington were up there anyway. Hull's excellent season and Leeds's rubbish don't seem to have an awful lot to do with running (or not) a reserve team, IMO. That's not to say it might not pay off in years to come, but I think people are looking for a benefit, because they want to see one, when it is still too early to tell.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28902No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 22 200717 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Sep 23 16:3124th Apr 23 16:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Reserve team in 2017 : Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:15 am  
All of these claims about a reserve team are off the mark IMO. How many of our first team have played reserves before coming back from injury? How many established 1st teamers have turned out for the reserves? We have a big squad and it's useful for the youngsters coming through to play at a better level than academy but it won't suddenly transform rovers, particularly if you use a stack of amateurs in there
RankPostsTeam
International Star2862
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 17 200914 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Dec 17 14:1413th Dec 17 08:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
JOHN THE REDBOY I have been a rovers fan all my life and my grandkids are as well

Re: Reserve team in 2017 : Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:51 pm  
Jake the Peg wrote:
All of these claims about a reserve team are off the mark IMO. How many of our first team have played reserves before coming back from injury? How many established 1st teamers have turned out for the reserves? We have a big squad and it's useful for the youngsters coming through to play at a better level than academy but it won't suddenly transform rovers, particularly if you use a stack of amateurs in there

Thats dead true about amateurs but can we not use it to play a n other thats what they used to call it with the A team of old
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7175
JoinedServiceReputation
May 06 200915 years33rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 16:3025th Mar 24 21:03LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
once a black and white always a black and white COYH

Re: Reserve team in 2017 : Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:01 pm  
A N other, and the other one was s o else if I remember
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11923
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 15 200717 years160th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 13:0325th Feb 24 00:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle.

Frederick Douglas

Re: Reserve team in 2017 : Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:14 pm  
I actually think this should be an opportunity to play a n other.

So many talented kids fall out of the game at around eighteen nineteen if they're not picked up by a pro club.

I also think we should look at kids who don't make the grade at football clubs.

Association Football starts harvesting promising athlete's at around nine years of age, if they don't make the grade in that multi million pound sport industry,(and the vast majority don't) who's to say that they couldn't be converted into a successful RL player?

The current Great Britain women's hockey goal keeper was first noticed playing Rounders.

If you're athletic, have good hand eye coordination and physical strength, you can be coached to excel at RL.

I believe the country is a hot bed of talent at the moment, very similar to how Australia was in the late eighties and early nineties was through The Australian Institute Of Sport, we could or any RL team, do a lot worse than try and tap into that.

Easier said than done, we would need the correct MD in place to attempt that though...
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2490
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200717 years274th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Aug 22 21:1324th Aug 22 14:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Reserve team in 2017 : Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:07 pm  
My main argument for an A team is getting a higher level of play (against grown men) for the likes of Marsh & Cator. I feel we loose to many kids at the end of thier under 19s when they are not good enough for the first team especially big forwards who do not realy mature untill thier mid twenties or even later. Many of the young men are lost to the amateur game as they just chuck it, but if we had a way back from the amateur game back to super league it would benefit not only Rovers but local amateur clubs. It would also allow us to give extended trials to fringe union players who may find our game suits thier game, as union rejects lots of good young players just because they don't grow to a size they require (especially in the forwards). I watched back chat on TV today & Wakey's chairman was expressing his support for the idea but said it would cost him around £100K to run. The halifax chairman said he had offered to run a reserve side for a super league club if they wanted as long as they could use 8 or so places for thier own fringe players. I think there is a lot of support for reserves instead of dual reg.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12568
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 200717 years122nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Reserve team in 2017 : Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:12 pm  
Beverley red wrote:
My main argument for an A team is getting a higher level of play (against grown men) for the likes of Marsh & Cator. I feel we loose to many kids at the end of thier under 19s when they are not good enough for the first team especially big forwards who do not realy mature untill thier mid twenties or even later. Many of the young men are lost to the amateur game as they just chuck it, but if we had a way back from the amateur game back to super league it would benefit not only Rovers but local amateur clubs. It would also allow us to give extended trials to fringe union players who may find our game suits thier game, as union rejects lots of good young players just because they don't grow to a size they require (especially in the forwards). I watched back chat on TV today & Wakey's chairman was expressing his support for the idea but said it would cost him around £100K to run. The halifax chairman said he had offered to run a reserve side for a super league club if they wanted as long as they could use 8 or so places for thier own fringe players. I think there is a lot of support for reserves instead of dual reg.

But couldn't the existing second tier/semi-pro game offer that potential stepping stone? Indeed, isn't it, to the likes of Guzdek, Hallett and Robinson, who played for Dewsbury, Swinton and Halifax today?

If it is about giving players like them longer in a professional environment, then great. But if it is a non-competitive pro-am mish-mash, then I don't see much value. The old A-team mainly bridged a gap to semi-pro senior rugby, not the modern full-time environment.

The 'problem' IMO, is that SL clubs invest in players for themselves, but run out of cash before the crop is ready for harvest and then fret that the money is 'wasted'. That is why I'm not keen on SL clubs 'owning' player development.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2490
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200717 years274th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Aug 22 21:1324th Aug 22 14:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Reserve team in 2017 : Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:26 pm  
Mild Rover wrote:
But couldn't the existing second tier/semi-pro game offer that potential stepping stone? Indeed, isn't it, to the likes of Guzdek, Hallett and Robinson, who played for Dewsbury, Swinton and Halifax today?

If it is about giving players like them longer in a professional environment, then great. But if it is a non-competitive pro-am mish-mash, then I don't see much value. The old A-team mainly bridged a gap to semi-pro senior rugby, not the modern full-time environment.

The 'problem' IMO, is that SL clubs invest in players for themselves, but run out of cash before the crop is ready for harvest and then fret that the money is 'wasted'. That is why I'm not keen on SL clubs 'owning' player development.

I get the point of just packing the reserves with local amateurs being a waste of cash, I played A team when it was a drinking club for fringe players but then they were not allowed back in the amateur game. Now we could use a few who want a second go at making the grade along with some squad players & youngsters. The championship clubs will soon be able to spend more & will not want to bring on our lads, infact they will be signing our fringe players. The game as a whole needs more lads playing at all levels so encouraging players to return to amateur clubs to gain experiance knowing if they develope well there is a way back. There will always be the Shaun Edwards of this world who will be good enough at 17 but there is a need for foot soldiers to make up the teams around the stars.
Next