Signature
An Ode to Sepp Blatter

Dadbod

Next In Line To The Throne

St Helens and a Fitting End to a Season of Unsung Heroes

Follow my wisdom on Twitter

Top 100 films of the 00s - The Top 5

Big Graeme wrote:
Nothing stopping them doing that now, they may have to pay more for the flexibility or they may have more issues getting the staff they need but thems the breaks.

I agree but I can see situations where a company hasn't kept its eye on the date and it's gone over a year's service. Although the individual isn't entitled to redundancy they are entitled to a formal termination process otherwise they can go to a tribunal. I know everybody should have that formal termination process but there also comes times when business is busy and these things get forgotten. If you are running a tight ship i.e. not much profit, that additional week or two on top of a wage budget can be critical. I don't know what the answer is because I can see both points of view. If pushed I would say that your relationship with your employees is the most critical and if you can manage that well you often find that successful compromise in the relationship is more achievable.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member27757No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th Jan 21 14:1929th May 18 16:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
An Ode to Sepp Blatter

Dadbod

tb wrote:
Eh?

When a short-term contract comes to an end, it comes to an end. It's not and never has been an unfair dismissal - hell, it's not even a dismissal.

Yeah but I probably wasn't that clear there. I mean that even with fixed-term contracts sometimes they run over and the admin isn't that hot on in (my reference was to the administration aspect of management above). So the example would be that if there is a 1 year qualifying period and you offer a 14 month contract but it rolls over for an extra month you have to go through a formal termination process i.e. serve notice, unless you're really hot on your termination process which I've just mentioned in the discussion with Graeme. Sometimes the FTC might just need extending for a week, a month, six weeks and the paperwork supporting it isn't as quick through. Does that make a bit more sense now with what I've said above? I can't read through it all again as I've lost my love for speaking corporatese lol.
RankPostsTeam
In The Arms of 13 Angels26578
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 08 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Jul 17 23:1930th Apr 17 15:32LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

ebay's Rugby League Bargains ¦ Boost Your eBay Sales ¦ Recommended Amazon Stuff ¦ Get a Free Ink Cart!!! ¦ Quins RL T-Shirts, BRAND NEW DESIGNS

McClennan wrote:
I agree but I can see situations where a company hasn't kept its eye on the date and it's gone over a year's service. Although the individual isn't entitled to redundancy they are entitled to a formal termination process otherwise they can go to a tribunal. I know everybody should have that formal termination process but there also comes times when business is busy and these things get forgotten.

I'm sorry that is the employers own damn fault.

Both parties know the end date, both parties would have agreed (or should have) to any contingency for project over runs or early completions, both parties would in my experience be discussing how the contract would end and any handover required. If that slips then the project manager's backside wants kicking.

You can not amend legislation because management are numpties.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman37704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Aug 18 19:077th Aug 18 19:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The older I get, the better I was

Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator."

cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan

Big Graeme wrote:

Both parties know the end date, both parties would have agreed (or should have) to any contingency for project over runs or early completions, both parties would in my experience be discussing how the contract would end and any handover required. If that slips then the project manager's backside wants kicking.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Every project I've ever worked on has been time-critical. Time is usually one of, if not the major cost of any project and any project manager that does not have that in the forefront of his mind, should be dispatched to the filing room. FFS even the most basic project management software can be enabled to flag at critical moments in time.
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

"No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan

Big Graeme wrote:

That's the whole point though mate, the legislation isn't being amended for that reason. The legislation is being amended so that this bunch of chancing feckwits can appear to be actually doing something to help employers. The fact that most employers will think it's worth about 4/5ths of buggerall is neither here nor there
Ajw71 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1978No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 23 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Dec 23 20:2714th Dec 19 14:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

tb wrote:
When a short-term contract comes to an end, it comes to an end. It's not and never has been an unfair dismissal - hell, it's not even a dismissal.

Wrong.
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Ajw71 wrote:
Wrong.

Don't stop there
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
An Ode to Sepp Blatter

Dadbod

Big Graeme wrote:

I understand that but not all managers are numpties and not all managers are bad people. All managers though do make mistakes and in the modern working environment, with its pressures/stresses the employment relationship has to have equilibrium, which is why I was talking about it needing to be managed well with good intentions on both sides.

All I was offering was that with the current employment conditions as they are some organisations may feel this gives them flexibility around their resourcing and explained how that relates to the change in law. You may think that is unethical but I'm not arguing that it is just suggesting that for some organisations it might actually give them freedom to explore different resourcing situations which may benefit them and the local talent pool by providing a solution to short-term resourcing issues. In that situation you might even be able to argue it is more ethical because of the potential problems it could solve.

I have experienced the issue in organisations where FTCs have been given out and not extended formally but have continued because an organisation hasn't addressed the administration. Of course the organisation is responsible for that, however sometimes the local management may be restricted because of decisions out of their hands. It can be the case that all this uncertainty is bad/horrible for all involved but I think you have to see both sides of the picture even more when in situations like this. Big corporations have less to argue with the point but small businesses do especially those where that kind of flexibility can mean sink or swim.

I think the point is that really this is political ideology masquerading as helping out new businesses and that's the discussion point. However it doesn't mean there isn't an argument there for a change in the law because I've just suggested a situation where that could benefit both parties.

At the moment the one year qualifying rule doesn't really make that much difference in terms of protection for the individual unless they are unfairly/wrongfully dismissed (see later on evidence). Even with a one year qualifying rule a company can still remove a person from the organisation via redundancy and the employee gets nothing from that (redundancy having a 2 year qualifying rule for those that might be reading and not now). It doesn't require that an employee receives a payment if they were made to leave the business after, say, 14 months as long as the company follows its policies. How much extra work that creates must be impossible to predict with any accuracy and the same with how that impacts upon those organisations needing flexibility. Discrimination claims do not require a qualifying period so really we are only talking about unfair/wrongful dismissal and we don't really have a figure on which we can base our evidence i.e. how many are there for people who have between 1 year and 2 years service? There could be thousands, there could be a couple of hundred. If it was the former then very hard to argue against. If it was the latter you could argue that the flexibility within the economy is the bigger picture. Same with the other point of view i.e. how many companies really require this sort of flexibility? It might be easier to predict this because getting the information is not tied to data protection issues (compromise agreements etc). However gathering that information could take a while and be useless as soon as we've got it.

Unfortunately we'll (the UK) probably never be able to resolve the situation with the sort of progressive adult debate needed in this country because the two main political parties employment rights/laws are tied to ideological missions (for whatever reasons) rather than a true desire to sort the problem out.
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
An Ode to Sepp Blatter

Dadbod

McClennan wrote:
Unfortunately we'll (the UK) probably never be able to resolve the situation with the sort of progressive adult debate needed in this country because the two main political parties employment rights/laws are tied to ideological missions (for whatever reasons) rather than a true desire to sort the problem out.

I know I'm hardly stating anything original by saying that but it's a view that can be applied to too many issues in the UK. It's one of the things that has needed to change for decades i.e. since consensus politics was thrown out of the window it's been like this. There needs to be some sort of national consensus about what we want as a country instead of us just getting vague manifestos foisted on us. Electoral reform might be the only way this could have happened i.e. politicians are put in the house by us, the voting public and yet tonnes of decisions are decided by corporations who line the pockets of the criminals who steal our votes to give them the authority.
Last edited by McClennan on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

McClennan wrote:
<snip>

So, after all that, you agree that the legislation, as it is proposed, is pointless then?
PreviousNext