JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 17 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Nov 12 15:397th Nov 12 13:03LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The saying 'bent as a 9 bob note' has now been dropped.....corrected phrase is 'bent as the RFL!'

Re: Last nights 'Boots n all' : Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:19 pm  
westyorkylad wrote:
Following on from this idea then I suppose going to Wembley for the CC Final and Murrayfield or the Millenium Stadium for the Magic weekend is also something we should stop?

Good point!

Here's a suggestion...the RFL should build a stadium in the North of England, to host such events, Internationals, regional finals etc etc.

westyorkylad wrote:
The point I dont understand is how not going to Catalans for £200 is going to put money in any of the local amateur sides pockets? Becasue I havent gone to watch Cas away at Catalans, am I going to go and watch Sherburn Bears juniors and put £200 in the field collection? Or perhaps buy £200 worth of raffle tickets?

True that is human nature! But if you've just blown a load of money on a trip to Catalan, then you're even less likely to throw a quid in the collection bucket for the juniors, and it's another excuse/reason to miss some other away game, to again save a few quid.

westyorkylad wrote:
I suppose the final issue is the Catalans region of France, is a rugby league heartland, and one thats struggling, and would struggle signifcantly more without the Dragons. Are we supposed to consign French RL to the dustbin and allow it to wither and die. Thats realy going to help strengthen the international scene.

It's harsh...but yes I'd save a North of England team every single day of the week rather than a team in French Rugby League. Don't fool yourself and think that the French would do any different!!

In regards to the International scene, the fans have voted with their feet on the international scene.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach646No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 17 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The saying 'bent as a 9 bob note' has now been dropped.....corrected phrase is 'bent as the RFL!'

Re: Last nights 'Boots n all' : Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:25 pm  
binks wrote:
The same way as Quins and the crusaders(when in south wales not widnes sorry wrexham) by giving the league a wider appeal to sky views as has been previously noted most of sky viewers are from the south

Lets be clear, so that your point is relevant. You are talking about the sky viewers watching rugby league aren't you???? Not just the number of SKY viewers as a whole, which is obviously greater in the South due to the greater population of the south.

However, if they are not watching Rugby League on SKY, then how does it make a difference by Quins, Crusaders or Cataln playing?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach270No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 25 200619 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 12 11:213rd May 12 11:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Last nights 'Boots n all' : Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:13 pm  
the_grobs wrote:
Good point!

Here's a suggestion...the RFL should build a stadium in the North of England, to host such events, Internationals, regional finals etc etc.

True that is human nature! But if you've just blown a load of money on a trip to Catalan, then you're even less likely to throw a quid in the collection bucket for the juniors, and it's another excuse/reason to miss some other away game, to again save a few quid.

It's harsh...but yes I'd save a North of England team every single day of the week rather than a team in French Rugby League. Don't fool yourself and think that the French would do any different!!

In regards to the International scene, the fans have voted with their feet on the international scene.

I think we'd have to agree on having totally different ideas as far as these points go. Although I do agree its a shame we dont have our own Rugby League version of Twickenham in the north to generate cash from, I cant bring myself to agree with any of your other points.

Rugby League on tour, whereby a group of mates go on a trip to watch a game, somewhere out of the norm, be that France, Scotland, Wales or London. Having a good time, a few drinks and soaking up the drama of a RL occasion such as a cup final. Where the atmosphere is brilliant, with all the fans mingling together before, during and after the match, is one of the greatest treasures of our sport. If we were to simply host all these events at Elland Rd or Old Trafford, it would'nt be anywhere near the same, and in any case we still wouldnt get to keep any more money as the stadiums dont belong to the RFL.

I cant agree that by going away on a trip on the first weekend that I would be less inclined to put a couple of pounds in a field collection the week after for my local junior side, I suspect that some people will put their hand in their pocket and some people wont, regardless of where theyve been the weekend before.

Like it or not, the internationals generate much needed media coverage and money for the RFL, we need a strong French side to give us meaningfull matches that will spark public interest.

I think the differance between our opions boils down to looking at the big picture of proffesional RL as a whole, or purely focusing inwards with an 'I'm alright jack' attitude, that would ultimately lead to a smaller RL community.

Still its only a thought, and we're all entitled to our point of view, who's to say who's right or who's wrong.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach646No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 17 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Last nights 'Boots n all' : Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:14 pm  
westyorkylad wrote:
I think we'd have to agree on having totally different ideas as far as these points go. Although I do agree its a shame we dont have our own Rugby League version of Twickenham in the north to generate cash from, I cant bring myself to agree with any of your other points.

Rugby League on tour, whereby a group of mates go on a trip to watch a game, somewhere out of the norm, be that France, Scotland, Wales or London. Having a good time, a few drinks and soaking up the drama of a RL occasion such as a cup final. Where the atmosphere is brilliant, with all the fans mingling together before, during and after the match, is one of the greatest treasures of our sport. If we were to simply host all these events at Elland Rd or Old Trafford, it would'nt be anywhere near the same, and in any case we still wouldnt get to keep any more money as the stadiums dont belong to the RFL.

I cant agree that by going away on a trip on the first weekend that I would be less inclined to put a couple of pounds in a field collection the week after for my local junior side, I suspect that some people will put their hand in their pocket and some people wont, regardless of where theyve been the weekend before.

Like it or not, the internationals generate much needed media coverage and money for the RFL, we need a strong French side to give us meaningfull matches that will spark public interest.

I think the differance between our opions boils down to looking at the big picture of proffesional RL as a whole, or purely focusing inwards with an 'I'm alright jack' attitude, that would ultimately lead to a smaller RL community.

Still its only a thought, and we're all entitled to our point of view, who's to say who's right or who's wrong.

Respected!

I've enjoyed a good few challenge cup wekends myself over the years, and like any good do!! It's what you make of it. I've had a great times at Grand Final nights, and a good atmosphere in Cardiff city centre. Must say, Murrayfield was disappointing!

Media coverage is much needed, but I'm not sure that the internationals generate it. We now have many media channels available to the the game, yet dwindling interest in the International stage. Not so sure how meaningful a game is against the French (England 60 - France 6 back in June), attendance 8,000 ish to me is not really tempting new spectators to the game. I suppose the number speak for themselves there.

Much of the models upon which the RFL are shaping our game are failing. Let's hope ours doesn't.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member5064No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 22 200322 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Aug 18 13:3112th Oct 17 20:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Bonzo wrote:
Never mind all this journalism stuff you do, with such accuracy in hitting nails on the head you should be a joiner. :wink:

Re: Last nights 'Boots n all' : Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:17 pm  
This entire thread confuses me. What's wrong with spending money watching your team away from home? Why would that money be better spent in a bar at a UK based RL club?

Each to their own, I've only been to Perpignan once, I had a great time and didn't see the money spent as a waste. The years I don't go, I spend the money I would have spent on a Perpignan trip on something else, usually paying an increasingly expensive food or fuel bill... I don't think anyone would spend their 'Perpignan money' on helping RL in some other way
RankPostsTeam
International Star5No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 19 201014 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th Apr 11 15:0012th Dec 10 15:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Last nights 'Boots n all' : Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:39 pm  
I like the idea of a long weekend in Spain/France to watch the frenchies play my team. It sure beats a wet night on the temporary stands of Hull Kr (how temporary is temporary?). We enjoy the planning, the build up, the travelling and the crack with the locals, who are usually very sporting. The downside is obviously we have lost a heartlands club to make way for them and I thank the stars it's not us. Perpignan is expensive, but we put most of our money over the border into Spain. From there we travel over to France and watch what we spend because it aint cheap (5.60 euros for a pint of Amstel...ouch!!). Watching my team abroad makes me feel more travelled and international, it elevates the standing of our game and my team.

I still put money into the local teams and will go and pay to watch Batley, Featherstone, Dewsbury and others ususally because I have friends who are supporters and some of these places have good real ale pubs near the ground and are full of knowledgeable friendly rugby league folk who you can have good conversations with and get a wide perspective of comments and ideas.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17226No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 17 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Mar 19 17:313rd Mar 19 17:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
King Street Cat wrote:
Some might look at this as being harsh but I think it's fair. When are the Rugby League going to stop persisting with this fantasy expansion. If it hasn't worked by now, it never will! I'm all for reaching out to a wider audience with our game but not at the expense of historical clubs in the homelands.

Re: Last nights 'Boots n all' : Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:55 pm  
the_grobs wrote:
Did anyone see 'boots n all' last night? If you didn't they ran a 10 minute section all about Catalan celebrating it's 100,000th visiting fan during the recent Warrington game. As part of this they spoke briefly with 3 or 4 Warrington fans about how much money they had spent that day, in regards to their match ticket beer and food etc. The typical response was €100, €120 or one guy said €200. This is of course on top of their flights and hotels etc. So we could easily be looking at €300 to €400 per person to make the visit!!!!

Putting this together with them celebrating their 100,000th visitor it adds up to a whopping €30M to €40M Euros (GBP £25,000,000 to £35,000,000) of the Rugby league communities money being spent out there. So then Barry Mac (who I normally like) goes on to say 'what a wonderful greating the fans always get in the shops and bars in Perpignan, they have their shirts on behind the bars etc etc......' I bet they do, when we are pumping so much money into their local economy.

Bringing me on to my next point!! How many other better uses there are for the rugby league communities money. We all go on and on about supporting the youth coming through, better supporting British talent, local amateur teams with no funding, facilities for our national teams etc etc. Of course not forgetting good causes like the RL Benevolent fund, Steve Prescott Foundation, Adam Watene fund, etc etc.

In my humble opinion there are so many better uses of our hard earned money without taking this money out of our economy and out of the heartland RL community. Many such good uses as given above!

The next time we have an away game away from the M62 corridoor, think of the best way to use your money in support of the true RL community, our RL values and the future of the club you love.
What a stupid thread. Do you really think that people are going to invest the £200 from going to Catalan away games into their clubs' youth development? Or that people should not be allowed to spend money in other places other than the North of England? To be honest this just strikes me as some sort of BNP-esque nationalistic rant.
binks 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach888No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 07 200817 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jul 21 08:358th Mar 19 23:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Last nights 'Boots n all' : Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:12 pm  
the_grobs wrote:
Lets be clear, so that your point is relevant. You are talking about the sky viewers watching rugby league aren't you???? Not just the number of SKY viewers as a whole, which is obviously greater in the South due to the greater population of the south.

However, if they are not watching Rugby League on SKY, then how does it make a difference by Quins, Crusaders or Cataln playing?

if I can dig it out I read an article on viewing figures that showed a large league following in the south, I'm sure the welsh team has added more from there and RL is now shown across Europe Due to the inclusion of the Dragons .

headhunter wrote:
the_grobs wrote:
The next time we have an away game away from the M62 corridoor, think of the best way to use your money in support of the true RL community, our RL values and the future of the club you love.
What a stupid thread. Do you really think that people are going to invest the £200 from going to Catalan away games into their clubs' youth development? Or that people should not be allowed to spend money in other places other than the North of England? To be honest this just strikes me as some sort of BNP-esque nationalistic rant.

Don't think its BNP-esque but definitely Narrow Minded
tb 

RankPostsTeam
In The Arms of 13 Angels48326
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 05 200223 years322nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Sep 23 07:443rd Oct 22 11:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Doubt everything, even this

Re: Last nights 'Boots n all' : Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:36 pm  
Can I also just point out:

It's perfectly possible to have good rugby league conversations with knowledgeable local fans in Perpignan - it's a rugby league heartland with historic links to Cas (after our first Cup win in 34 we played them in the first ever cup winners' cup. Arthur Atkinson scored.)

I've been a Cas season ticket holder for a nber of years and never had the impression that our successful junior development is funded by bucket collections.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach646No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 17 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Last nights 'Boots n all' : Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:50 pm  
[/quote]Or that people should not be allowed to spend money in other places other than the North of England? To be honest this just strikes me as some sort of BNP-esque nationalistic rant.[/quote]

Who has said that it should not be allowed?? I certainly didn't.

Making things up that have not been said.....now that's is BNP-esque!! Quality!!!
PreviousNext