FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - RD 15 | Wakefield Trinity (A)
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner24023
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 19 200419 years19th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th May 24 14:4920th May 24 17:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
in bed between halle berry and jennifer aniston

Re: RD 15 | Wakefield Trinity (A) : Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:22 pm  
a few weeks ago I asked the question, were the players playing to get him sacked.
it was misread, I was accused of making a statement. I didn't.
but rapido, it has happened before and it wouldn't shock me if it was happening now
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7237
JoinedServiceReputation
May 28 200222 years121st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th May 24 16:2717th May 24 09:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 15 | Wakefield Trinity (A) : Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:07 pm  
tad rhino wrote:
I await the excuses.
it's not his team
it's not his players
he needs to have cap space

blah blah blah

Well, these things you list are more or less the facts, whether you like them or not. It's kinda amusing that it is usually the same names calling for the coach to be fired after each loss. But I don't think that we're quite there yet with Smith, however embarrassing it was for some on here to lose to a 12 man Wakey side.

Smith took most of the current squad to a GF in a few months, and Hardaker aside, most fans would agree that we have a better squad this season with the first choice additions he has made (Olpherts aside, but I don't think he played this week, did he?).

Some of them are his players, but the majority of cap space is taken up by players not recruited by Smith. And again a lot of that cap space is not on the field, which is not Smith's fault. So as long as we are not threatened with relegation, I would still give Smith time with a few more signings of his choice, especially in the spine. Many on here wouldn't have retained Powell at Warrington for a second season but they aren't doing badly now. Smith can't live on the GF for ever, but he should be good for this season so long as we see a positive turnaround in the coming weeks.

I agree Smith does have a responsibility with the players available, who on paper should have been capable of beating Wakefield (I wasn't there, but Wakefield were going to pick up a result sooner or later - jury's out whether it was our bad luck to get them during a bad run of injuries and form - we'll find out in the coming weeks).

I wonder whether there's a problem in the playing group. Are they working for one another or playing as individuals? Some of the defence against Cas suggested the latter - far too many players jumping the line etc. Yet again, lots of individual errors may suggest that too many players are trying too hard to do it all. Smith will hopefully learn from this, given the chance.

One thing I would be looking at now if I were GH is to use the cap space caused by Leeming's departure to look to bringing in a decent mid-season signing. No doubt Leeds have been looking at options as soon as Leeming left. Obviously there are risks, but if the right player is available it could help turn us around.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain916No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 01 20159 years220th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th May 24 11:5916th May 24 14:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 15 | Wakefield Trinity (A) : Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:12 pm  
Well took took some time to try work out how I feel after today was one of worst performances I have seen by our club if not the worst. If anyone said what's the worst case scenario's that could happen in todays game I think they all happened, firstly getting beat at all by the worst SL team in SL history in this seasons wakey ( no disrespect to them but they have been so far this season), then their team wasn't even at full strength they had a few missing just like us and to top it off they played 35 minutes with 12 men !!! It's a sad day for the Leeds Rhinos club but we have to get past it and get this awful season over with. Imo our season is done now Cas & Wakey will fight it out for Relegation we will pick up a win here and there and finish between 8th- 10th and can't see us closing the gap on top 6 at all. Me personally I don't want to see Rohan sacked by the club I do think he is a good coach and with the right playing group, for me it's not him who's dropping balls to bomb certain tries, kicking restarts out on the full, giving away constant penalties & not respecting the ball that's all players doing players who have played 100's of rugby games in the NRL & SL like Macdonald, Austin, Oledzki & Bentley and those who say well he's the one who picks the team etc, yes he does but what can he do when as we've become a custom too half of our playing roster is sat in the stands injured! the only little bit of good to come out of today's performance was Ruan coming off the bench to make his debut thought he had some decent carries and carried strong for his try, but that says something about us as at team today when a 20 year old debutant is only postive from playing against the worst SL in history. I hope Rohan can survive this season and make the right choice such as player roster and signings and resignings but only time will tell.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner24023
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 19 200419 years19th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th May 24 14:4920th May 24 17:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
in bed between halle berry and jennifer aniston

Re: RD 15 | Wakefield Trinity (A) : Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:13 pm  
can't agree sorry. there's no way this sorry mess can be turned around other than replacing smith. and hetherington needs to spend and get a quality coach in. a man who players listen to. who that is I'm at a loss. however i don't trust smith to recruit wisely. and this is a vital, vital off season
Last edited by tad rhino on Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player114No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 03 20204 years280th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 16:3611th May 24 17:51LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 15 | Wakefield Trinity (A) : Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:15 pm  
Exeter Rhino wrote:
Well, these things you list are more or less the facts, whether you like them or not. It's kinda amusing that it is usually the same names calling for the coach to be fired after each loss. But I don't think that we're quite there yet with Smith, however embarrassing it was for some on here to lose to a 12 man Wakey side.

Smith took most of the current squad to a GF in a few months, and Hardaker aside, most fans would agree that we have a better squad this season with the first choice additions he has made (Olpherts aside, but I don't think he played this week, did he?).

Some of them are his players, but the majority of cap space is taken up by players not recruited by Smith. And again a lot of that cap space is not on the field, which is not Smith's fault. So as long as we are not threatened with relegation, I would still give Smith time with a few more signings of his choice, especially in the spine. Many on here wouldn't have retained Powell at Warrington for a second season but they aren't doing badly now. Smith can't live on the GF for ever, but he should be good for this season so long as we see a positive turnaround in the coming weeks.

I agree Smith does have a responsibility with the players available, who on paper should have been capable of beating Wakefield (I wasn't there, but Wakefield were going to pick up a result sooner or later - jury's out whether it was our bad luck to get them during a bad run of injuries and form - we'll find out in the coming weeks).

I wonder whether there's a problem in the playing group. Are they working for one another or playing as individuals? Some of the defence against Cas suggested the latter - far too many players jumping the line etc. Yet again, lots of individual errors may suggest that too many players are trying too hard to do it all. Smith will hopefully learn from this, given the chance.

One thing I would be looking at now if I were GH is to use the cap space caused by Leeming's departure to look to bringing in a decent mid-season signing. No doubt Leeds have been looking at options as soon as Leeming left. Obviously there are risks, but if the right player is available it could help turn us around.

There in lies the issue, if we are to continue in this same vein (and the returning players still isnt a guarantee all will be great again) as we have been doing, playing utter $hite and we do get dragged down towards bottom 2 or 3 relegation dogfight, as daft as it may seem, when does GH do (and I bet he will) the knee jerk reaction and do a Sam Allardyce and boot Rohan and try get some ex-Rhinos legend in the hot seat for half a dozen games to try steer us clear? The R word is a lot more prominent than playoffs, we are playing relegation level rugby.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain916No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 01 20159 years220th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th May 24 11:5916th May 24 14:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 15 | Wakefield Trinity (A) : Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:17 pm  
Well took some time to try work out how I feel after today was one of worst performances I have seen by our club if not the worst. If anyone said what's the worst case scenario's that could happen in todays game I think they all happened, firstly getting beat at all by the worst SL team in SL history in this seasons wakey ( no disrespect to them but they have been so far this season), then their team wasn't even at full strength they had a few missing just like us and to top it off they played 35 minutes with 12 men !!! It's a sad day for the Leeds Rhinos club but we have to get past it and get this awful season over with. Imo our season is done now Cas & Wakey will fight it out for Relegation we will pick up a win here and there and finish between 8th- 10th and can't see us closing the gap on top 6 at all. Me personally I don't want to see Rohan sacked by the club I do think he is a good coach and with the right playing group, for me it's not him who's dropping balls to bomb certain tries, kicking restarts out on the full, giving away constant penalties & not respecting the ball that's all players doing players who have played 100's of rugby games in the NRL & SL like Macdonald, Austin, Oledzki & Bentley and those who say well he's the one who picks the team etc, yes he does but what can he do when as we've become a custom too half of our playing roster is sat in the stands injured! the only little bit of good to come out of today's performance was Ruan coming off the bench to make his debut thought he had some decent carries and carried strong for his try, but that says something about us as at team today when a 20 year old debutant is only postive from playing against the worst SL in history. I hope Rohan can survive this season and make the right choice such as player roster and signings and resignings but only time will tell.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1488No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 15 200519 years258th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Nov 23 19:1425th Jun 23 14:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 15 | Wakefield Trinity (A) : Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:21 pm  
Swoggy Loiner wrote:
If Leeds had 17 Donaldson’s we’d be ok. No great shakes by any means, but 100% every carry and tackle. Looked absolutely fuming at the end and rightly so.
unfortunately do have nearly 17 donaldsons of bang average players , donno did a job yrs ago then should have been thanks but no thanks, same with bodene thompson then stayed past his sell by date
we've 3 good players newman , holroyd an oledzski and 2 are always injured
RankPostsTeam
International Star72
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 28 201113 years296th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 19:1719th Apr 24 23:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 15 | Wakefield Trinity (A) : Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:34 pm  
Someone wrote “ you can see what smith is trying to achieve but the players just aren’t up to it”

I’ve been to every home game and I have no idea what smith is trying to achieve. We concede at least 50 Myra in every set the opposition has the ball. We have to score a try from 70m out. We have zero line speed. We make no attempt to contain the opposition in their own half, let alone their own 20m. Please explain what he is trying to do because I have no clue. Thanks.
RankPostsTeam
International Star974
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 03 201113 years154th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th May 24 19:1511th May 24 17:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 15 | Wakefield Trinity (A) : Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:46 pm  
doc-rhino wrote:
unfortunately do have nearly 17 donaldsons of bang average players , donno did a job yrs ago then should have been thanks but no thanks, same with bodene thompson then stayed past his sell by date
we've 3 good players newman , holroyd an oledzski and 2 are always injured

Oledzki is massively overrated, just my opinion mind. The only enforcer we seem to have is Holroyd.

Is Donaldson good enough for Leeds, no, but he’s a blood to water type of player. Maybe I didn’t explain fully.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years300th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Jun 23 20:4411th Jun 23 20:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.

Re: RD 15 | Wakefield Trinity (A) : Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:53 pm  
The worrying thing for me is Smith is suggesting keeping the OOC overseas players. His player judgement looks flawed as do his team selections and tactics.

Something has to change otherwise we are just doing what Einstein suggested was the definition of madness.
PreviousNext