Sep 17 200915 years180th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th May 24 15:2130th Apr 24 13:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rowley : Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:58 am  
KaeruJim wrote:
I see it differently, I think this is a change for Leeds to get back on the horse and get back into something of a groove.

We need to play ourselves back into form, we're not going to do it on the training field only.

If we get two solid performances and wins, we are somewhat back on track. If we lose one or both of these then we are in serious trouble and I think RS position becomes untenable.

For me its the worst possible time for these 2 games. 2 'solid peformances' against 2 train wrecks of clubs isnt good enough and will simply paper the cracks / keep Rohan safe until we play someone decent and inevitably get mullered again.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1253No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 31 201113 years227th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th May 24 13:364th May 24 07:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Leeds is the greatest club in Rugby League"
Alex Murphy 2011

Re: Rowley : Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:59 am  
Jack Burton wrote:
McClennen was the right man in 2008 to take over fromTS, but it was time for a change when McDermott came in.

I'm very sceptical about RS, and I highly doubt he's the right coach for where we are now, as a club, but I definitely don't think he's a bad coach.

You would have to say that looking at your above quote it says a lot about how hungry Leeds are as a club nowadays. McCllenan was on a percentages basis, the most successful Superleague manager we’ve ever had. Champions for 2 out of his 3 seasons, and play off semi finalists and Challenge Cup finalists the season he was released. That says a lot about what we were aspiring to back then. Yes he had a better team to work with, but I think the ruthless drive within the club that sacked him is no longer apparent. If Smith is a “project”, it’s one that must be swiftly curtailed if we languish in mid table at the end of the year.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4343
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20186 years24th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th May 24 18:594th May 24 12:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rowley : Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:07 pm  
FGB wrote:
For me its the worst possible time for these 2 games. 2 'solid peformances' against 2 train wrecks of clubs isnt good enough and will simply paper the cracks / keep Rohan safe until we play someone decent and inevitably get mullered again.

Who has mullered us this year? Warrington was the only time I can think of.
ALAW 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain296
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 10 20177 years275th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 23:433rd May 24 22:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rowley : Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:33 pm  
KaeruJim wrote:
Who has mullered us this year? Warrington was the only time I can think of.

You must have been watching a different side to most then. We've been dire most games
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4343
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20186 years24th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rowley : Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:53 pm  
ALAW wrote:
You must have been watching a different side to most then. We've been dire most games

I'd say we've been very good in patches, and then inconsistent for the most part.

Dire is an over-reaction. Some really poor errors and odd decisions have cost us dearly.

There is a crowd power thing, so enough Leeds fans turn on the coach then his position becomes untenable. I think mostly, we're all just sick of being the League's laughing stock and we want the tide to turn.

My question is whether changing RS is going to do that and I'm still not convinced. And as I've said elsewhere, if RS hasn't worked out then we have to also look at GH's position, because ultimately this will have been the 4th coaching set up he's appointed since McDermott which hasn't worked, and as a club this is almost ten years in the wilderness now, with a couple of trophies in that time to paper over cracks maybe.

There is a chance that another coach might come in and being a breath of fresh air, if RS's approach is no longer landing with the players. The best barometer of this is the players themselves, and I doubt any of us on here really know what the players think (without quoting Austin who has sunk without trace after us).

There are some good coaches in the Championship actually, doing good jobs in difficult circumstances very often.

Rowley is a potential candidate if RS can't turn things around sharpish.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1026No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 15 20212 years38th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd May 24 23:362nd May 24 12:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rowley : Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:56 pm  
We haven't been mullered on the scoreboard, but there's something depressingly familiar about the way we're losing games this year vs last season. Losing field position - check. Bad errors when in possession - check. Mostly OK line defence followed by a howler letting in a try - check.

I cannot see GH making a move until the off season myself. If we lose both games at Hull and London maybe that will change, but for good or bad he's decided Smith is the man to take the club forward over the longer term.

Even if/when a decision is made to make a change, I can't see Leeds looking for a coach in a professional way. Furner got the gig as an ex-player. Agar was a caretaker coach who got a dead cat bounce and then proved his previous record as a coach was a pretty accurate guide to his ability. Smith seemingly got the gig because he knows Chev and is Tony's nephew. None of that smacks of a professional approach to appointing a coach. Just more jobs for the lads.

I still hope Rohan can turn things around. I really do. But if he doesn't the alternative is more likely to be some combination of Golden Generation former players with zero track record than genuinely the next 'big thing' out of Australia.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4343
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20186 years24th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rowley : Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:12 pm  
Once were Loiners wrote:
We haven't been mullered on the scoreboard, but there's something depressingly familiar about the way we're losing games this year vs last season. Losing field position - check. Bad errors when in possession - check. Mostly OK line defence followed by a howler letting in a try - check.

I cannot see GH making a move until the off season myself. If we lose both games at Hull and London maybe that will change, but for good or bad he's decided Smith is the man to take the club forward over the longer term.

Even if/when a decision is made to make a change, I can't see Leeds looking for a coach in a professional way. Furner got the gig as an ex-player. Agar was a caretaker coach who got a dead cat bounce and then proved his previous record as a coach was a pretty accurate guide to his ability. Smith seemingly got the gig because he knows Chev and is Tony's nephew. None of that smacks of a professional approach to appointing a coach. Just more jobs for the lads.

I still hope Rohan can turn things around. I really do. But if he doesn't the alternative is more likely to be some combination of Golden Generation former players with zero track record than genuinely the next 'big thing' out of Australia.

I agree with you, but we still have a problem with the quality and depth in the squad. We can speculate on the coaching, and 80% of posters on here have made their mind up fair enough, but we literally haven't had our first choice team out as far as I can remember, and that first choice team is still short of a couple of stars.

A back line of Miller, Fus, Newman, Mom and Handley is very good on paper. Problem is we've never seen them line up all together.

The pack is unable to dominate on either side of the game; but in all honesty I've never been truly satisfied with Leeds packs since I've been watching.

Last year we were decimated by injuries and defections. Actually first part of the year, before the wheels fell off, we had a couple of really good performances and results.

Ultimately the coach will carry the can for results but I want to see how we show up in these next 2 games. IF we turn around 6/10 over the next couple of weeks, overall I'd take that as start.

Gutted for McDonnell last week, he was having another really strong game in the back row but then got done several times out at centre. He needs to bend his back more at times, he goes pretty high and then gets fended with lateral movement.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1026No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 15 20212 years38th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd May 24 23:362nd May 24 12:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rowley : Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:24 pm  
With respect to the pack I think the first and most fundamental thing to look at is the mindset. On paper we haven't got the best front row, but attitude goes a long long way. Maybe we got scared due to suspensions a year or so ago, but without aggression you lose the contest almost every time. Its a balancing act, but I really think we'd look better with a far more aggressive attitude in the forwards. Rohan talks a lot about being in the contest, but on a micro level we lose far too many tackles, which translates to field position.

I do agree we look light in the front row. I see four genuine props in our squad. But who decided to contract a bunch of smaller second rowers and not add at least one experienced big bopper?
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4343
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20186 years24th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rowley : Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:32 pm  
Once were Loiners wrote:
With respect to the pack I think the first and most fundamental thing to look at is the mindset. On paper we haven't got the best front row, but attitude goes a long long way. Maybe we got scared due to suspensions a year or so ago, but without aggression you lose the contest almost every time. Its a balancing act, but I really think we'd look better with a far more aggressive attitude in the forwards. Rohan talks a lot about being in the contest, but on a micro level we lose far too many tackles, which translates to field position.

I do agree we look light in the front row. I see four genuine props in our squad. But who decided to contract a bunch of smaller second rowers and not add at least one experienced big bopper?

Yep now that I totally agree with. We were also reportedly in for Eseh and Okoro, lost both to sides above us in the table, and I'd like to know why. Eseh is from Leeds.

Holroyd has bags of potential but he does have odd brain farts, and he clearly needs an injury-free period and especially an injury-free preseason. Mik loses the collision too much and gets put in his back, his PTB is painfully slow very often. Sangare is very Route 1 and can be effective there - he is massive though. Lisone is rocks and diamonds, very aggressive but prone to brain farts also.

I still have hopes for Hudson, the lad is big but he has some toe and decent handling too actually. Probably more a player for 2025 in all seriousness though. Meantime we look like we need a real starting prop and another hard hitting / running back row; not Goudemand/Donaldson/Bentley/O'Connor type. Especially if Martin leaves we're gonna have to spend some money; I'd sign a first grade best-we-can-get back rower to replace him and then let everyone else fight it out for the other spot.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6864
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 02 200222 years43rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th May 24 18:204th May 24 18:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rowley : Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:52 pm  
Lee Briers wants a head coach job either here or in the NRL.
PreviousNext