26th Jun 20 19:0522nd Jun 20 17:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Why are the playoffs poorly attended. Vote : Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:36 pm  
sally cinnamon wrote:
Advertising won't change this.

How many of the regular SL fans, were unaware that the playoffs were on? They knew it was on they just didn't want to bother.

But of course if you want to hire a top London based advertising agency I am sure they will be happy to take your money.

yeah thats what they said about football...its full of hooligans its a working class sport. A simple minds track and mainstream TV advertising wont change a thing.

I'm sure the same was said about cricket. this limited over rubbish isnt real cricket who's going to turn up to watch that.....lets no forget the idea of playing cricket under floodlights I'm old enough to remember the out cry over that crazy notion.

Darts......fat blokes sipping pints and chucking some arrows on BBC2. never going to take off.

Formula one a massive global sport when I started watching that back in 1982 I had to watch the 30 minute highlights show on BBC2 on sunday night, and then read Autosport on a Thursday. Its got its own HD Channel now, every round Live from Practice to after race interviews. People that wouldnt have a clue who Niki Lauda or Nigel Mansell were will talk about Hamilton and Button like seasoned experts because its image has been transformed. It is arguably half the sport it used to be, but its ten times more popular.

whether its advertising or improved TV coverage or just a better run sport there's plenty that can be done.

lets just give ourselves some credit....in a poorly attended round of Little old Rugby League a fixture between 2nd and 3rd in the league attracted twice the numbers of fans than Top v 4th in the Scottish football premier league, also attracting nearly double again than the Fixture between world Famous Glasgow Celtic were participating in.

its the second most watched league on SKY tv we should be circiling around SKY TV like vultures for the extra money avialable when the SPL goes tits up, and SKY pull the plug on that....

we are not in the poop by any stretch but the people in charge need to work their arses off like they have in the NRL.

making something appear popular is half the job. People follow popular things they dont have to be good (see X factor). We have a good product that isnt massively popular......its a messed up world
Last edited by the flying biscuit on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RankPostsTeam
International Star504No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 12 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Oct 13 22:099th Nov 12 15:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
¡ THE WIRE !

Re: Why are the playoffs poorly attended. Vote : Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:38 pm  
the flying biscuit wrote:
its not a harsh truth at all for most fans. you've hardly been controversial. I think we all know the only time we get anything remotely close to national coverage is challenge cup final day.

It is however a harsh truth for the RFL who are completely oblivious to the need to hype up our game and raise its profile.

Football has just had more column inches more internet talk and more radio talk over a non happening handshake than our playoff series will ever hope to recieve. they simply dont grasp the way big business works.

Rugby union has just had two broadcaster arguing over substanial TV rights.
and our governing body thought free advertising on a few trucks was a great deal.

The sport itself is not small time its a brutal sport that a lot of non players cant understand.It's hugely entertaining, but the fans in general i'm afraid do have a small time attitude. Hence the constant finger pointing at welsh london and French sides, and the preference for teams a twenty minute drive away.

The RFL needs to bite the bullet and pay a top notch London advertising agency some serious money to launch our sport to another level. Similar to football and the premier league. And We as fans need to lose the apathy we often have to our own sport. It's our last hope.

Good post.

This sport is in a very precarious position at the moment. With the extension of the NRL salary cap and the recent rise in money in union over the last decade or so, and the apparent lack of high money interest in our sport...we're on the brink of being left further behind as we see fewer overseas players head over here and more youngsters look to union rather than ever look to League.

Something needs to change with our sport and soon. I know, you know, many fans up here know, that a top game of rugby league is about as exciting as sport gets...for some reason the world outside doesn't know about this.

The governing body is letting us all down. It has to change.

The international game has lost it's prestige with the abolition of Great Britain. Players have said it on all sides (GB, Aussie and Kiwi) on Super League's Super Men, that playing for or against Great Britain was the pinnacle of their international career. We would easily fill Wembley for a test game, now England probably wouldn't sell out the Dave Whelan Stadium. This needs reversing.

There's too much averageness being allowed into the play-off series. Teams having second chances creates a lack of enthusiasm for games. The probability of playing the same team just two weeks apart is making the first of those games bullshit. A higher quality, higher pressure, no second chances play-offs is needed. The play-offs were once fantastic from Round 1, this needs reversing.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3853
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 18 201014 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Oct 23 20:4530th Sep 23 21:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
And so you aim towards the sky,
And you'll rise high today,
Fly away, Far away,
Far from pain....

Re: Why are the playoffs poorly attended. Vote : Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:10 pm  
the flying biscuit wrote:
People follow popular things they dont have to be good (see X factor). We have a good product that isnt massively popular......its a messed up world

RL is the small band that spends all its time touring tiny venues, in front of a small bunch of dedicated followers, who constantly moan at the big supergroups who get all the media attention and play all the big stadiums, all the while moaning that their ignored favourites are miles better than the bands who have millions of followers and deserve a shot at the big time.

Unfortunately, in all niches of life, there are acts or sports that have a cult following despite seemingly being extremely good - Rugby League is one of them.
mark_m 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11463No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 16 200519 years309th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd May 24 05:4320th May 24 17:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Why are the playoffs poorly attended. Vote : Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:16 am  
behind the stick wrote:
mark_m wrote:
Maybe in comparison to the equivalent league fixture? Thus last night was about 4000 down.

It does perplex me why people turn out all season then miss the crucial fixtures. Maybe supporters just don't buy into the whole play-off process?

But is it a direct comparison with a standard league fixture where season ticket holders get counted whether they turn up or not and away fans are boosted by kids getting in on the away voucher? It was an all pay game, like the cup.

Are the prices correct or should they be cheaper than a normal league game? The purpose of the play-offs is to make money for Super League clubs which is why it was increased to eight (the clubs voted it in, not the RFL), they all share in the gate receipts of the play offs and grand final. The prize money for winning the grand final is 300k, where as its 100k for the challenge cup.

Part of the answer about ticket prices may be found in the take up of that £5 kids ticket offer?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2900No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 18 200915 years316th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th May 22 14:0423rd Nov 21 15:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Warrington RLFC: The Wire, NOT Warrington Wolves

FORZA WIRE

Re: Why are the playoffs poorly attended. Vote : Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:46 am  
A lot of play off games are short notice which might make it inconvenient for some people too. Teams don't tend to know until a few days before what day they'll be playing on, and the week two fixtures in particular are difficult to promote because both home teams are playing that week after losing the week before making it a largely unwanted fixture that a lot of fans might not be keen to pay £20 to attend.

The real problem with the play offs though is the weakness of Super League overall means they aren't as competitive as they should be - this weekend's easy wins for Wigan, Leeds and Hull all proving the point. Yes, Saints won easily as well but that could be deemed a slight shock as they were the away side and lower ranked. The other three games offered no excitement at all to a nuetral though.
RankPostsTeam
International Star346No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 15 201212 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Mar 14 11:2831st Oct 13 19:51LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Why are the playoffs poorly attended. Vote : Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:56 am  
Something for the RFL heads to ponder:

Yesterday, on a cold, dank Sunday morning, I was one of a small group of parents who took my lad to his U14's game for Crosfields away to Rochdale Cobras ..... As the game kicked off (10:30am), there were 3 Sunday League football matches (adult age) on the adjacent pitches. Approx 30 people, I assume parents & coaches, were watching the rugby ..... As the game progressed, I noticed how many people were leaving the touchlines of the football matches and migrating over to the rugby pitch. By the middle of the second half, there were over 70 people (I stopped counting at 70) alongside the touchline. Questions I personally fielded included "What age are these?".... "They don't hold back, do they" ......"Don't they get hurt?" ...."Why doesn't the ref stop it so they can get up?"..... "Why do the players/coaches address the ref as 'Sir' (that one made me laugh)".....followed by amazed looks as the game finished, the players shook hands (despite the usual 'in-game' conflicts), and parents/coaches applauded both teams as they left the pitch .... with the 'football converts' joining in the applause/praise.

This same scenario has played out at every venue where football has been played on adjacent pitches, so don't tell me there isn't a wider audience for the game ......... it's down to those at the top/in the media to promote our game properly.

As has been said, if they can get 8-10,000 people to watch darts (and this coming from someone who played county darts!), then selling rugby league should be a doddle!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2136No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 14 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Jan 19 18:5013th Nov 18 12:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Challenge Cup Winners 2009, 2010, 2012

Re: Why are the playoffs poorly attended. Vote : Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:08 am  
It's a combination of a few things IMO.

Firstly the play-off structure is ridiculous and seriously needs to be changed after this season.

Secondly I appreciate the economic situation, and that it's hard for a lot of people at the moment. However, Rugby League fans appear to me to be a bit more fickle than those of some sports, and a lot of those who can afford it will often look for excuses not to attend matches, and instead spend the equivalent of the price of a ticket in the pub whilst watching the match on Sky. I'm not criticising because I've occasionally been guilty myself in the past, but that's the way it seems to me.

Thirdly, maybe the fixtures were just not that attractive. Look at the winning margins in the four games: 40, 22, 22 and 36 points. That's disgraceful for what should be competitive matches at the pinnacle of the sport.
RankPostsTeam
International Star240
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 18 201212 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Feb 17 14:066th Dec 16 01:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Why are the playoffs poorly attended. Vote : Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:46 am  
The economic situation is definitely having an effect - jobs aren't as secure, debts have to be paid, and wages aren't going up with inflation. These are the worst economic conditions for decades, so it's always going to have an impact. People still want to go, but with only enough money for one or two games they want to save up for the most important, and what's more important than Old Trafford? It's optimistic, but if you get there you have a bit more cash saved up than if you had gone along to the earlier rounds, and if you lose you'll probably be glad you didn't go anyway. For a lot of people, that's a win-win situation for not going to the early rounds.

As for wider publicity, to increase viewers we need to shake off the stereotype that only idiots from the north watch RL, and that means several things. We need to do the marketing campaign thing, to show the world the variety and depth of RL fans, but more importantly we need to clean up the atmosphere and the bad attitude towards the rest of the country. Plenty of current fans don't mind taking their kids to hear the profane chants and verbal abuse towards players and refs, but you can bet anyone going for the first time with their family will run a mile. I don't know what football is like on this point, but I'm sure they put a lot of effort into sorting it out when they were marketing.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member353No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 14 200222 years308th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Jun 24 23:016th Jun 24 22:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Why are the playoffs poorly attended. Vote : Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:50 am  
I mean this as a serious question - why would you not attend an important match of the team you support because you don't agree with the format of the competition?

The Saints match was an important game despite the second chance (which we'd earnt by finishing second) being available as it puts us under pressure and give us a more difficult route to the final. Plus a local rivalry.

It's not like you're making a grand political stance for humanity - all it does is damage the team and sport you like.

I do not understand how Wigan can lose nearly 10k fans from its seasonal average - OK in reality this figure is more like 8k when you take out the average of away fans but it is still staggering to me how you can lose half a fan base. Leeds was the same.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach229No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 16 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st May 19 22:4031st May 19 19:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Why are the playoffs poorly attended. Vote : Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:44 am  
The playoff format is too dragged out and repetitive, particularly the possibility of identical fixtures for the top 4 in 2 weeks time. This must have an effect on attendances.
Having said that, the attendance figures of this weekend cant be judged in isolation. Wakefield for one have benefited massively this year from having something to play for over the last few months. Its probably a price worth paying keeping it at top 8 even if some tweaks are needed.
PreviousNext