FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - 10 Days to Save the Broncos!
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7631
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 12 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Jul 16 11:0414th Apr 16 23:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 10 Days to Save the Broncos! : Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:59 pm  
Probably irrelevant but:

CoventryBearsRL ‏@CoventryBearsRL 1h

We will be making a big announcement on the future development of the club as a professional club very soon. Stay tuned it will be worth it.
jaybs 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4958No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 03 200222 years229th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Jun 22 08:1325th May 22 09:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 10 Days to Save the Broncos! : Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:30 pm  
Roy Haggerty wrote:
At present, no.

It has been said, which I posted about on another thread, Sally Bolton who ran the World Cup 2013 is staying with the RFL, what better person to send into London for a 12 or 18 month period, yes she would do other RFL work, Sally did an amazing job with the World Cup, even if someone else likes to take all the credit!
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 13 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Jun 15 02:4314th Feb 15 04:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
dally messenger wrote:
was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have

eels fan wrote:
You poor poor obsessed fat ex vichyballin potato thieving stoaway.

Re: 10 Days to Save the Broncos! : Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:40 pm  
TaRL PaRL wrote:
Nigel Woods on Sky Sports News this morning
"The RFL are supporting the people who are interested in promoting rugby league in London as much as we can."

Bollox they are!
Has Knock-down Nigel found us a new owner?
Has Knock-down Nigel bought us an "iconic" ground?
Has Knock-down Nigel secured major national sponsors who in turn would attract further investment?

Has he love!

Fat boy will dine out on the PERCEIVED success of the RLWC (less than 1% increase on the average attendance BTW....but that's another matter) and secure himself a job for another 4 years at least. I suspect a sponsor for SL will be rolled out during this meeting in an attempt to ambush Lenagan et al, but in reality, papering over the cracks will do little for the domestic game other than let it (at best) continue to tread water whilst other sports snap up the sponsorship revenue that is available.

The NRL can see the benefit of a team in the capital but a few small minded owners of pit town clubs can't......and there lies the problem. If you want a prosperous NATIONAL and INTERNATIONAL game, then support the break away...if you like things the way they were in the 80's, then vote for Nigel.....he'll drive the game forward and by 2016 you'll need to subscribe to Premier TV to watch Superleague......as a semi-professional HKR take on Wigan in front of 4,000 fans in the Brains Faggots Superleague!
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman8112No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200123 years270th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jul 24 08:5314th Jun 24 18:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 10 Days to Save the Broncos! : Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:23 pm  
The Super League clubs that want to challenge the governance of SL by the RFL have in mind that SL become like the Premier League in soccer and the Premiership in Union.
They want to have their own Chairman and CEO, not as now where the RFL's Chairman and CEO are also SL's.
The soccer Premiership has set the template as to how this should be done and have been spectacularly successful. The Union Premiership has done well too. Ian Lenagan and his fellow like minded Chairmen think they are capable of doing the same. They are all successful business people so why should they not be able to bring that success to SL?
If they do achieve their own re-alignment then SL IMO would prosper as never before. London's future would at first be secured and IL I'm sure would put in place a structure to enable the Broncos become a very successful club.
BTW Wigan is a former northern pit town but we have a chairman who you know well who wants London to prosper and I as another sone of Wigan want the same.
We know well that London needs extra funding, extra salary cap and flexibility on federation trained players as you've no federation SL clubs near you.
The only way to get those aspects in place is to support Ian Lenegan in trying to take SL forward and not reverse the progress made.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1034No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 01 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Feb 24 23:1216th Jul 14 16:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 10 Days to Save the Broncos! : Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:30 pm  
gutterfax wrote:
Bollox they are!
Has Knock-down Nigel found us a new owner?
Has Knock-down Nigel bought us an "iconic" ground?
Has Knock-down Nigel secured major national sponsors who in turn would attract further investment?

Has he love!

Fat boy will dine out on the PERCEIVED success of the RLWC (less than 1% increase on the average attendance BTW....but that's another matter) and secure himself a job for another 4 years at least. I suspect a sponsor for SL will be rolled out during this meeting in an attempt to ambush Lenagan et al, but in reality, papering over the cracks will do little for the domestic game other than let it (at best) continue to tread water whilst other sports snap up the sponsorship revenue that is available.

The NRL can see the benefit of a team in the capital but a few small minded owners of pit town clubs can't......and there lies the problem. If you want a prosperous NATIONAL and INTERNATIONAL game, then support the break away...if you like things the way they were in the 80's, then vote for Nigel.....he'll drive the game forward and by 2016 you'll need to subscribe to Premier TV to watch Superleague......as a semi-professional HKR take on Wigan in front of 4,000 fans in the Brains Faggots Superleague!

I'm not sure how you can say that the RLWC was not a huge success. Less than 1% attendance increase. Compared to what? Certainly not compared to the last world cup held here which flopped.

The NRL side in Canberra pays its own way. I've yet to hear about any special measures required to keep them afloat. If Broncos were able to pay their own way and put out a competitive side, who would complain about that?

I don't really think it fair to castigate "small minded pit town clubs". The owners and management of those clubs just want to see those clubs prosper. Is it odd that they tend to be in favour of measures that give their club just a chance of a return to the good old days? I certainly don't think it normal to put the interests of another club ahead of your own.

Nor have I seen much that would suggest that Ian Lenighan's proposed breakaway is in favour of more cash for Broncos. It would be an odd sort of "club power" that reduced the rebel clubs' TV cash.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 13 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
dally messenger wrote:
was watching an nfl doco. on one of their teams and they used the term bomb to describe those long high passes from quaterback to running back and i think gibson took that idea, realized you cant throw the ball forward in RL and adapted it to a "bomb" kick we have

eels fan wrote:

Re: 10 Days to Save the Broncos! : Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:14 pm  
Hedgehog King wrote:
I'm not sure how you can say that the RLWC was not a huge success. Less than 1% attendance increase. Compared to what? Certainly not compared to the last world cup held here which flopped.

0.0027 increase in average attendance over 2008, Australia conceding 4 tries in one game and then no other 4 pointers in 5 more games, including 3 dottings and a QF, SF and final that delivered 160-2 a score-line, 89% of the players born in 5 countries with not 1 Irishman in the Ireland squad.....Don't get me wrong, 460k is fantastic and other than Limerick, the venues all pretty much delivered and the foundations for 2021 are set, but in real terms, the RLWC exceeded most peoples expectations but was hardly a "National" event that captured the GB Publics attention.

Hedgehog King wrote:
The NRL side in Canberra pays its own way. I've yet to hear about any special measures required to keep them afloat. If Broncos were able to pay their own way and put out a competitive side, who would complain about that?

Very hard to tell the difference between the Raiders and the Brumbies supporter groups as they are pretty much Identical. Nothing else to do in a city that was essentially built to run the country.....packed with Civil Servants, it's hardly a coup that both teams (14,287 Brumbies/10,226 Raiders) attract average crowds to games.....both franchises are paid to play their games by the local authority. Canberra is not like London.........Melbourne is, where there is a dominant code and the NRL team is an expansion one......Canberra is not an expansion area......and there is also the small matter of the MASSIVE difference in the cost of living in London compared to the pit towns....not really a valid comparison.

Hedgehog King wrote:
I don't really think it fair to castigate "small minded pit town clubs". The owners and management of those clubs just want to see those clubs prosper. Is it odd that they tend to be in favour of measures that give their club just a chance of a return to the good old days? I certainly don't think it normal to put the interests of another club ahead of your own.

10,000 is the often used "holy grail of averages" used by the games administrators when it comes to average gates that would deliver self sufficiency......a quick glance at the record books shows that Halifax could hope to get 7k, Fev haven't cracked 5k since the 1970's and the rest of the Championship clubs would all struggle to get past 5k....the only difference to the other SL clubs would be about 20k a year in away fans ticket sales....less than 1/2% of most clubs turn overs. Replacing London with one of these teams, or defining London as a failed experiment shows the narrow mindedness of some club owners....who would soon change their tune if they were having to plough 7 figures a year into their clubs once the fans don't show up....Bradford are a bigger club than any of the Championship clubs and look what nearly happened to them AGAIN on a bigger average attendance?

Hedgehog King wrote:
Nor have I seen much that would suggest that Ian Lenighan's proposed breakaway is in favour of more cash for Broncos. It would be an odd sort of "club power" that reduced the rebel clubs' TV cash.

I suspect that IL and the other clubs have a strategic business plan that involves quantifiable and measurable KPI's and was not written on the back of a fag packet. Nigel et al have probably managed to secure a sponsor for SL next year, but I doubt they'll announce the financials....Engage were the last one they were happy to crow about.

Happy to be proven wrong, but a SL that involves M62 Teams and a French outpost will struggle to nail down "national" sponsors and increased TV deals......The BBC will have been pleased with their audiences for their 6 games, but they will have been just as pleased with the other sports they showed that either delivered equal or bigger audiences.......SKY didn't miss anything and Premier TV is still a niche channel that will see thousands of cancelled subscriptions across the M62 now the RLWC is over....and if you think they'll get them back for wall to wall NRL coverage next year you need your bumps felt.
jaybs 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4958No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 03 200222 years229th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Jun 22 08:1325th May 22 09:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:58 pm  
Fans who knock us need to look at Huddersfield Giants, rich in history, top of Super League last season and attendances of 5,000

Be interesting if the Salford Koukash Devils will attract more than Sale Sharks next year.

Add to that Bradford and Wakefield! It's time for Big Nigel to come off his The World Cup was a success all down to me!

Super League Has to take the Premiership route and bring in top staff! or the legacy of RLWC2013 will soon fade away.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20966No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 13 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
dally messenger wrote:

eels fan wrote:

Re: : Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:30 pm  
jaybs wrote:
the legacy of RLWC2013 will soon fade away.

At the risk of derailing the thread...what "legacy"? :lol:
Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Italy, USA etc will get what exactly from this tournament? 2017 RLWC semi-finalists will be England, NZ, Australia and 1 other.......same again in 2021......and again in 2025.....no amount of fixed pools delivering even but essentially pointless games will change this.....the QF's delivered 158-14 score-line.....Australia's last 3 games delivered 160-2.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach423No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 01 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jul 19 22:3229th Apr 19 08:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Re: : Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:14 am  
gutterfax wrote:
Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Italy, USA etc will get what exactly from this tournament? 2017 RLWC semi-finalists will be England, NZ, Australia and 1 other.......same again in 2021......and again in 2025.....no amount of fixed pools delivering even but essentially pointless games will change this.....the QF's delivered 158-14 score-line.....Australia's last 3 games delivered 160-2.

I think each country should get a six figure sum so that's pretty big.

The clubs get plenty of data on fans who bought tickets (unless the fans opted out on purchase) so they can be contacted and marketed to.

There are other community follow ups planned as well but that's all I know about so as a legacy, it's a good start.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach12169No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 24 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 16 12:3730th Mar 16 07:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
london RL: scraping the barrel

Re: Re: : Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:33 am  
gutterfax wrote:

I do wonder sometimes how you get away with chatting such utter rubbish.

This WC was IMO very important in that quality players turned out for the smaller nations. This structure needs to carry on to keep those nations improving. Part of the issue is that these second / third tier nations do not play regularly enough to keep a strong set of players together and build teams between world cups.

Record attendances at both the semis and final - yeah its been a failure hasn't it.

I've had loads of feedback from mates saying how impressed they were not just with the latter stages but also the fact that teams like Italy and Samoa were competing against the big boys.

Yes, in the short-medium term Aus, NZ and England will dominate, but what should happen after this WC is building on the positive performances and even contests the lesser nations have produced. The only failure in this regard in 2013 was France, who were hopeless and that is the bigger worry for me.
PreviousNext