FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Saints (a)
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player325
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 30 20204 years248th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Jun 24 07:2322nd Jun 24 06:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Saints (a) : Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:30 pm  
sergeant pepper wrote:
I'm clear of the beer and I'm 100% doubling down on my posts from yesterday.

I honestly can't see how people don't see how biased he was yesterday. If he's going to send Wigan players off en masse and not do anything for players in a RedVee, then he deserves everything he gets & more.

He ruined what should have been a good day. Sell out, almost two fully strength sides, pubs in town full of fans etc. Instead he decided it was all about him.

And you are fully entitled to your opinions to the current stanfard of refereeing and rules, but i feel you could articulate it much better than the personal insults you are currently throwing around.

For the record, i think Kendall was pretty fair yesterday, both teams got away with a couple of things but it balanced out. In fact, he could have been much harsher with us in 6 agains and penalties if he had wanted to, our discipline is a big issue currently.

I also don't like the direction that the rules are heading in, Dupree's should have been a penalty only & Byrne's a yellow, but under the current rulesets the ref's hands are tied so i feel the cards he gave out were justified. Things will only get worse next season, i forsee disaster with the armpit rule.
RankPostsTeam
International Star328
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 17 201410 years261st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Jun 24 15:219th Jun 24 16:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The only reason they look up to you is because they chose to kneel.

Re: Saints (a) : Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:33 pm  
Phuzzy wrote:
You mean we were winning when it was 13 v 13 despite having been down to 12 men for 10 minutes at that point? Or do you mean we were clearly getting on top prior to the Byrne sending off? Perhaps you mean you couldn't score when we were first down to 12 and only managed to score a try in the dying minutes despite both those advantages?

Again, I'll ask you the same question: Do you think Salford will have the same room for improvement as yourselves when you next meet?

Bro what the love are you talking about lmao

I was asking Nicky why he felt Wigan had more improvement in them than saints did as I don’t see where it’s coming from. It largely seems based on our attack not being very good but when it was 13 v 13, you managed to make a grand total of one chance in the entire game which wasn’t down to the team but rather a piece of brilliance from an individual.

I said I could quite easily see plenty of room for improvement from both sides based on what we saw yesterday.

I legitimately don’t have a clue what it is that you’re trying to argue. You think you were the better team at 13 v 13? If so I’d like to know what that was based on considering we had more territory than you, made more metres and created more chances and line breaks
Phuzzy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5345
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200618 years123rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Jun 24 22:5324th Jun 24 11:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Saints (a) : Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:36 pm  
BoredWiganer wrote:
And you are fully entitled to your opinions to the current stanfard of refereeing and rules, but i feel you could articulate it much better than the personal insults you are currently throwing around.

For the record, i think Kendall was pretty fair yesterday, both teams got away with a couple of things but it balanced out. In fact, he could have been much harsher with us in 6 agains and penalties if he had wanted to, our discipline is a big issue currently.

I also don't like the direction that the rules are heading in, Dupree's should have been a penalty only & Byrne's a yellow, but under the current rulesets the ref's hands are tied so i feel the cards he gave out were justified. Things will only get worse next season, i forsee disaster with the armpit rule.

That's not strictly true. He could still be more even handed (under the current rules the accidental head clash is a card etc.) and, it's been said that the video ref thought there was mitigation in the Byrne sending off and it should have been a yellow. Those types of decisions are on the ref. They're hands aren't tied. It's down to interpretation.
Phuzzy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5345
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200618 years123rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Saints (a) : Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:40 pm  
The Reaper wrote:
Bro what the love are you talking about lmao

I was asking Nicky why he felt Wigan had more improvement in them than saints did as I don’t see where it’s coming from. It largely seems based on our attack not being very good but when it was 13 v 13, you managed to make a grand total of one chance in the entire game which wasn’t down to the team but rather a piece of brilliance from an individual.

I said I could quite easily see plenty of room for improvement from both sides based on what we saw yesterday.

I legitimately don’t have a clue what it is that you’re trying to argue. You think you were the better team at 13 v 13? If so I’d like to know what that was based on considering we had more territory than you, made more metres and created more chances and line breaks

NK was saying we had more improvement in us based on the game yesterday. Not on selected bits of it. On the whole game! You can't pick out the bits where we were 13 v 13 and argue it as if the periods of being down to 12 has no effect. And despite all your statistics we were winning that game until we got a man sent off.

Please answer the question asked. Do you think Salford have as much improvement in them as yourselves the next time you meet? If you keep avoiding the question then there really is no point in these exchanges.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player325
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 30 20204 years248th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Jun 24 07:2322nd Jun 24 06:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Saints (a) : Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:51 pm  
Phuzzy wrote:
That's not strictly true. He could still be more even handed (under the current rules the accidental head clash is a card etc.) and, it's been said that the video ref thought there was mitigation in the Byrne sending off and it should have been a yellow. Those types of decisions are on the ref. They're hands aren't tied. It's down to interpretation.

That's fair, under the current rules i agree the head clash is a sending off. First i have heard about the video ref thing, not sure i agree with him.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3902
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years117th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Jun 24 05:3119th Jun 24 17:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
21 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: Saints (a) : Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:58 pm  
Phuzzy wrote:

This x100. He decides to go with red, even tho the VR says yellow. Same for the tip tackle on Wardle. I saw Isa get a red for less last year & a few games on top too. Throw in the 2 points we should have had for the obvious ball steal and everyone really needs to ask themselves - What reason could there be for his obviously one sided approach to yesterday. I know my answer and I truly believe that he's dodgy.

It's gone past him being incompetent, just ask the majority of teams that have had to suffer a game Vs Saints under him. No one, who's a supposed pro, can be that bad for that long.

Btw, I don't want to be talking about this. I want to be talking about how it didn't click for us. We weren't direct enough. Both French and Field did too much lateral running. Not using a bench spot, especially when we'd been down to 12 and defended for much of the game was a crazy decision.

I'm not talking about that tho and refuse to criticise the team, especially when there was a far more serious issue on the day. Nothing will change if people keep defending these incompetent pr!cks, no matter how much they are laughing at us.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29433
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200420 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Jun 24 04:2824th Jun 24 10:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Saints (a) : Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:03 pm  
Watching Saints is rinse and repeat, so I don’t really see where any massive improvements would come from, that’s my point. It’s been defend for your lives and try and trample teams in the forwards for years now. I don’t see signs that anything will change in that regard. The attack was getting pelters last season from Saints fans and I see no improvement in it tbh.

What they will be is hard to break down and they'll try and get you in a scrap. Wigan’s attack also isn’t firing but the difference is we know it can and what it can do when it does. To me it feels like Saints have one way of playing, whereas Wigan can match it in a grind, as they did (with 12 men for parts) yesterday but when conditions allow it, they can also open up and score from anywhere on the field.
Zig 
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1854
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 04 20222 years106th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Jun 24 08:4924th Jun 24 08:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Saints (a) : Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:06 pm  
The Reaper wrote:
Curious what makes you think there’s more improvement left in you than us? Our attack didn’t look the best, but we made more chances than you did and even the one chance you made was just a moment of magic from an individual. As a unit I thought you never looked like scoring. We didn’t either really, but we did make a couple of chances and on another day could have scored a few. I’d put the lack of chances down to defence from both sides than attacks being that bad. You’ve got a few forwards to come back, likewise we were without Bell who’s probably been our best attacking player this year, and Paasi who is a wrecking ball. Blake too who whilst hasn’t been great, has looked to be improving and could grow as the year goes on. He’s certainly got the attributes to improve if his attitude is right. I can see plenty of improvement to come for both teams.

If you’re waiting for our defence to soften I wouldn’t hold your breath! We have conceded an average of 7 points per game over the 6 games, and almost half of the points we conceded have been when we were down to 12. It’s always going to take something special to open us up despite everybody thinking Hurrell and co are liabilities. In reality it doesn’t really happen. Thought we dealt with whatever you threw really comfortably, marked the likes of Field out of the game, didn’t allow Smith to do anything either and we also did a good job on French, the difference being he’s just a special player who can conjure something like he did.

I think you have some very good points there. Four things you haven’t factored in are injuries, home advantage, suspensions and pitches firming up. They will have a huge bearing on where the silverware end up. To some extent we can dismiss the second element as most of our games are likely to be played at neutral venues. The hard pitches are likely to suit us more as we have more pace in our team, conversely as the season continues the wet pitches are likely to suit you. Suspensions and injuries, whilst being unknown quantities, are guaranteed and will ultimately determine the destiny of the CC, LLS and SL trophies. I am convinced that we have a better squad and, all other things being equal, I am convinced that will give us an advantage. Havard, Cooper and Walters will all make our 17 and had they played yesterday I am convinced that we would have seen a different result. Saints deserved their victory and now it is up to Wigan to find a way to turn that result around.
Phuzzy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5345
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200618 years123rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Saints (a) : Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:14 pm  
sergeant pepper wrote:
This x100. He decides to go with red, even tho the VR says yellow. Same for the tip tackle on Wardle. I saw Isa get a red for less last year & a few games on top too. Throw in the 2 points we should have had for the obvious ball steal and everyone really needs to ask themselves - What reason could there be for his obviously one sided approach to yesterday. I know my answer and I truly believe that he's dodgy.

It's gone past him being incompetent, just ask the majority of teams that have had to suffer a game Vs Saints under him. No one, who's a supposed pro, can be that bad for that long.

Btw, I don't want to be talking about this. I want to be talking about how it didn't click for us. We weren't direct enough. Both French and Field did too much lateral running. Not using a bench spot, especially when we'd been down to 12 and defended for much of the game was a crazy decision.

I'm not talking about that tho and refuse to criticise the team, especially when there was a far more serious issue on the day. Nothing will change if people keep defending these incompetent pr!cks, no matter how much they are laughing at us.

I'm surprised no one is talking about this. I said the same at the game. Isa got banned for far less last season and it didn't look dissimilar to the Harry Smith one in the Cas game (apart from Wardle didn't dive to try to make it look worse). I'll qualify any comments with acknowledgement that I only saw it at the game but it was definitely hands between the legs with a lifting motion.

What's the consensus on this? I'd be interested in hearing the opinion of those who's seen it on replay.
RankPostsTeam
International Star328
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 17 201410 years261st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Jun 24 15:219th Jun 24 16:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
The only reason they look up to you is because they chose to kneel.

Re: Saints (a) : Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:45 pm  
Zig wrote:
I think you have some very good points there. Four things you haven’t factored in are injuries, home advantage, suspensions and pitches firming up. They will have a huge bearing on where the silverware end up. To some extent we can dismiss the second element as most of our games are likely to be played at neutral venues. The hard pitches are likely to suit us more as we have more pace in our team, conversely as the season continues the wet pitches are likely to suit you. Suspensions and injuries, whilst being unknown quantities, are guaranteed and will ultimately determine the destiny of the CC, LLS and SL trophies. I am convinced that we have a better squad and, all other things being equal, I am convinced that will give us an advantage. Havard, Cooper and Walters will all make our 17 and had they played yesterday I am convinced that we would have seen a different result. Saints deserved their victory and now it is up to Wigan to find a way to turn that result around.

No disagreement from me that you have a much superior strength in depth which will be hard to overcome. Fortunately we don’t need a whole lot of strength in depth to get into the top 2/4 and get into the big games, and then we can compete in a one off game. but we will need a slice of luck on the injury front no doubt, something you’d be able to deal with much better. I’d back our first 17 against anyone, but the chances of that making the field for any one game are pretty slim
PreviousNext