OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Jun 24 13:3425th Jun 24 14:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 19 for London : Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:01 pm  
Rogues Gallery wrote:
I presume you didn't go.

From my experience yesterday, there was nothing wrong with the location. We were treated very well, politely and helpfully by the staff at Millwall. There were probably more paying spectators yesterday than what would have been had the game been at Wigan. The time to judge will be over the next three or four years and see if it grows as an event.

Fans had better get used to it, because it will happen.

I thought the fans coaches going through Central London was a good touch (even if it did take a little while) as it gave people a chance to see some of the sights that they possibly may not get chance to do normally. I heard people on our coach discussing the different areas/buildings and plenty were taking photos. It was like a tour bus built in to a trip to a rugby game and I did wonder if it had been done purposefully to make it feel a bit more of a day out for the fans.

Overall it was a success for me and a real base to build from. Ian Lenagan has already said it will probably happen again next year but that next time it will be part of the regular rounds.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1327No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 14 200519 years241st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Jun 24 12:5821st Jun 24 22:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Wigan home of league

Re: 19 for London : Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:09 pm  
Wigg'n wrote:
I've been reading that thread and no one said that at all.

quote below from the board there are more-

"I didn't know and don't care about his sexual preferences or orientation. But I do feel uncomfortable with the fact that this thread has migrated from discussing his competence to an analysis of whether he is given leeway to be incompetent because of a"hidden agenda" linked to inclusivity. I think such talk is BS and should be left out of discussions on here. He's not the only incompetent ref we've had, he doesn't have an anti Leeds agenda IMO and we should try to avoid sounding like the whingers who follow other teams."
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4685
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 05 20159 years205th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Jun 24 17:1524th Jun 24 23:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 19 for London : Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:41 pm  
Rogues Gallery wrote:
From my experience yesterday, there was nothing wrong with the location. We were treated very well, politely and helpfully by the staff at Millwall.

This, certainly.

I assume any Wigan fans who came by train would have come into Euston? Don't know how it was from there, but I usually enter London via Paddington, and although it looked a bit of a mission on paper (needing tube + bus), in fact it really wasn't a problem getting to, and I got home quicker than I did from the CCF.

I saw a few there there in Wire, Giants, Saints shirts, etc. Presumably expatriate Londoners cheering on the Catalans?
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32319
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 17 200222 years167th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Jun 24 13:2311th Jun 24 13:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row

Re: 19 for London : Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:12 pm  
CyberPieMan wrote:
Nice win.
I'd like to see the breakdown of ST, casual, home & away and walk-ups. It'll only be a success if there's a good proportion of the curious and potential converts.
With everything being geared towards the other side of the capital, Sky showing Fax & Salford and the ODI on 5LiveXtra, the only comentary was on BBC Manc. We never stood a chance of this being as high profile as IL might have liked. I'd also posit that many of the Business Club that were persuaded to go along for the odd languistine ciabatta are wondering whether they're going to get value for money.

The concept is valid, the timing and location weren't.

Can we now get back to the serious stuff please.

Answered here.
http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2015- ... ith-london?

Wigan Warriors Chairman Ian Lenagan has hailed the Club’s achievement after a record crowd watched Wigan beat Catalans in London.
A crowd of 8,101 was at The Den, Millwall to see Wigan secure the win, the biggest attendance for a Super League game in London for nine years.

The Warriors took a Super Eights game on the road to the Capital after announcing the fixture at the end of July.

Speaking about the game, Ian Lenagan said:

“It was ambitious and we faced a number of voices doubting the strategy but we like a challenge at Wigan and have a fantastic team that left no stone unturned in their attempts to promote this game, the profile of the Wigan club and to reach the people of London.

“A strong marketing campaign saw the game featured in a wide range of London publications and online, whilst it was also great to see extensive Wigan Warriors branding at London Bridge Train Station, throughout the stadium and around the Capital. The response after the game personally to Wigan Directors and staff and via social media from the non-Rugby League spectators who attended was highly complimentary with many relishing another live game next year.

“The media interest in the game has been vast with articles and interviews in the London Evening Standard and on London TV and in a range of local and national newspapers in addition to great coverage across the BBC, ITV, Sky and Talksport. The demand for post-game interviews and comments was exceptional from national media.”

Continuing, the Chairman was clearly satisfied with the crowd:

“This game has shown that there is a very clear interest in Rugby League in London, as we thought.” Lenagan said.

“Initial estimates indicate 3,500 fans travelling down from Wigan, 2,000 Wigan and general Rugby League fans from the south-east and around 2,500 non-Rugby League attendees interested in seeing a live game.

“Also among the crowd were a large number of new fans from the Wigan Warriors Business Club and from attendees at the Wigan community rugby camps held around London this summer, in addition to the presence of football fans and fans of other sports.

“The day was a success on the field too with the Wigan team recording another fine victory to maintain their 100% home record and secure a place in the Super League semi-finals.

“It has been a highly-satisfactory event for the Wigan Club. Our thanks go particularly to Millwall Football Club for their professionalism and support in hosting the event at their excellent stadium, to the Wigan fans who travelled down and to London Broncos, London Skolars and Hemel Stags for their active support.”

Asked if the Warriors would return to the Capital, Ian said:

“We will assess the financial aspects of this game before finalising next steps but initial views are that we will build upon this satisfactory start next year but in the regular part of the season which will allow more lead time for the event than the short 5-week lead period for this game.”

Read more at http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2015- ... ZqPl52F.99
CyberPieMan wrote:
Nice win.
I'd like to see the breakdown of ST, casual, home & away and walk-ups. It'll only be a success if there's a good proportion of the curious and potential converts.
With everything being geared towards the other side of the capital, Sky showing Fax & Salford and the ODI on 5LiveXtra, the only comentary was on BBC Manc. We never stood a chance of this being as high profile as IL might have liked. I'd also posit that many of the Business Club that were persuaded to go along for the odd languistine ciabatta are wondering whether they're going to get value for money.

The concept is valid, the timing and location weren't.

Can we now get back to the serious stuff please.

Answered here.
http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2015- ... ith-london?

Wigan Warriors Chairman Ian Lenagan has hailed the Club’s achievement after a record crowd watched Wigan beat Catalans in London.
A crowd of 8,101 was at The Den, Millwall to see Wigan secure the win, the biggest attendance for a Super League game in London for nine years.

The Warriors took a Super Eights game on the road to the Capital after announcing the fixture at the end of July.

Speaking about the game, Ian Lenagan said:

“It was ambitious and we faced a number of voices doubting the strategy but we like a challenge at Wigan and have a fantastic team that left no stone unturned in their attempts to promote this game, the profile of the Wigan club and to reach the people of London.

“A strong marketing campaign saw the game featured in a wide range of London publications and online, whilst it was also great to see extensive Wigan Warriors branding at London Bridge Train Station, throughout the stadium and around the Capital. The response after the game personally to Wigan Directors and staff and via social media from the non-Rugby League spectators who attended was highly complimentary with many relishing another live game next year.

“The media interest in the game has been vast with articles and interviews in the London Evening Standard and on London TV and in a range of local and national newspapers in addition to great coverage across the BBC, ITV, Sky and Talksport. The demand for post-game interviews and comments was exceptional from national media.”

Continuing, the Chairman was clearly satisfied with the crowd:

“This game has shown that there is a very clear interest in Rugby League in London, as we thought.” Lenagan said.

“Initial estimates indicate 3,500 fans travelling down from Wigan, 2,000 Wigan and general Rugby League fans from the south-east and around 2,500 non-Rugby League attendees interested in seeing a live game.

“Also among the crowd were a large number of new fans from the Wigan Warriors Business Club and from attendees at the Wigan community rugby camps held around London this summer, in addition to the presence of football fans and fans of other sports.

“The day was a success on the field too with the Wigan team recording another fine victory to maintain their 100% home record and secure a place in the Super League semi-finals.

“It has been a highly-satisfactory event for the Wigan Club. Our thanks go particularly to Millwall Football Club for their professionalism and support in hosting the event at their excellent stadium, to the Wigan fans who travelled down and to London Broncos, London Skolars and Hemel Stags for their active support.”

Asked if the Warriors would return to the Capital, Ian said:

“We will assess the financial aspects of this game before finalising next steps but initial views are that we will build upon this satisfactory start next year but in the regular part of the season which will allow more lead time for the event than the short 5-week lead period for this game.”

Read more at http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2015- ... ZqPl52F.99
RankPostsTeam
International Star1002
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 22 201113 years299th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Jun 24 11:2923rd Jun 24 19:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Everything is Awesome

Re: 19 for London : Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:42 pm  
Rogues Gallery wrote:
I presume you didn't go.

From my experience yesterday, there was nothing wrong with the location. We were treated very well, politely and helpfully by the staff at Millwall. There were probably more paying spectators yesterday than what would have been had the game been at Wigan. The time to judge will be over the next three or four years and see if it grows as an event.

Fans had better get used to it, because it will happen.

I've no problem with the concept and I had no expectation that the fans would have anything but a fab time. But this isn't about the fans is it? It's IL's business venture, and it's all about making money for the club and (ultimately) himself. Millwall, like it or not, has a reputation. As a corporate jolly it could have been better placed and as it turned out, better timed (although, obviously the latter was out of the club's hands).
It might well work, and yes, it has to be repeated & assessed over the next 2 or 3 years. I just suspect it would have gone down a bit better in somewhere like Craven Cottage or Loftus Road, as was suggested in one the original threads on the subject.
We'll never know the (business) numbers (as someone else on here who doesn't understand the concept of a rhetorical question pointed out earlier), and we'll only get snippets from news coverage of the Business Club.

Had we lost, I'm pretty sure the jackals would be circling and demanding that the experiment is never ever repeated. Instead, it appears to have been a qualified success. Which is all to the good. Just change the blasted venue for next year.
Wigg'n 
RankPostsTeam
International Star7531
JoinedServiceReputation
May 11 201113 years205th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Jun 24 20:0121st Jun 24 08:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 19 for London : Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:44 pm  
2,500 non-Rugby League attendees interested in seeing a live game.

Did they use the Wembley figures by mistake?
RankPostsTeam
International Star348No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 09 201311 years285th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Jun 24 14:5715th Jun 24 09:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 19 for London : Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:19 pm  
stpatricks wrote:
Getting too excited, the points gap is like an extra point, always thought Leeds would need to lose three games . I can see the Giants troubling them but Cas could be out of it by the time they play the Rhinos.

I didn't include the Cas game as I do not see that causing Leeds too much trouble. I quoted the away game at Catalans which is always a difficult fixture for any team. It is next Saturday by the way.
DaveO 
RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200123 years312th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th May 24 14:0028th May 22 23:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20
Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18

Re: 19 for London : Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:28 pm  
Wigg'n wrote:
2,500 non-Rugby League attendees interested in seeing a live game.

Did they use the Wembley figures by mistake?

I am suspicious of these figures. If Wigan is such a draw where have they been when we used to play London Broncos? Likewise the 2K of neutral but already RL fans. Where have they been hiding?

Clearly those who went had a good day out - as you do when you go to Wembley but had we got there this year how many would have wanted to make a second trip in so short a time?

If a regular league fixture is relocated next season as implied elsewhere I can only seeing it be Les Cats again as there is absolutely nothing to be gained from Leeds/Saints/Wire or any other team's point of view from agreeing to play in London. Just more cost for them and their fans and for what? To aid Wigan and its goal of attracting sponsors. OK....they really are going to do that!
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15209No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 14 200618 years183rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Jun 24 09:3117th Jun 24 16:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 19 for London : Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:59 pm  
DaveO wrote:
I am suspicious of these figures.

Now there's a surprise.
DaveO 
RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200123 years312th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th May 24 14:0028th May 22 23:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20
Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18

Re: 19 for London : Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:58 am  
Cruncher wrote:
Now there's a surprise.

And I am not surprised at your inane response.
PreviousNext