Jun 17 201113 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Jun 22 11:3418th Jun 22 16:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:05 am  
Cruncher wrote:
For quite a while there's been talk on here that too many of our underachieving players are on pretty good wages that do not reflect their ability (or lack of such), the outcome being that we are now up to the Cap limit with a squad full of journeymen.

I don't personally know what money our players are on, or who recommended that we sign them in the first place, but it's pretty evident that we have quite a few who are never likely to get selected even in this low quality first team, so they are definitely draining money away. We also have a number of first team regulars - and I'm not going to list them again, because we all know who they are - who are way below that semi-mythical 'Wigan standard', and are also, if we want to win stuff, a complete waste of money.

Perhaps the club has now grasped this nettle and is trying to readdress the imbalance by looking to invest in quality rather than quantity? If it's a clase that Sarge is the first casualty of this, because he's no longer deemed deserving of his asking price, it may be a price worth paying. It may also be that he's only the first.

I totally agree that if all we get in exchange for Sarginson is Jake Bibby then that will be another step down. But if we manage to pull in a couple of decent names for next season - not necessarily Origin-standard Aussie stars, but good quality players - then I'll feel we're on the right track.

How do we know Bibby will be a step down?

This year he’s scored 9 tries and he’s been injured for a few weeks I believe as well.

I think sometimes people like to assume a player’s standard based on name alone. For me, a player is as good as he is currently playing, whether he’s got a big reputation or not.

At the end of it, Bibby is only 23, and seems to be playing well at the moment in a very inconsistent Salford side.

We can’t possibly know whether or not he’ll be a step up or down from Sarginson until we’ve seen him play.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15185No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 14 200618 years190th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 24 08:0024th Apr 24 11:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:14 am  
JWarriors wrote:
How do we know Bibby will be a step down?

This year he’s scored 9 tries and he’s been injured for a few weeks I believe as well.

I think sometimes people like to assume a player’s standard based on name alone. For me, a player is as good as he is currently playing, whether he’s got a big reputation or not.

At the end of it, Bibby is only 23, and seems to be playing well at the moment in a very inconsistent Salford side.

We can’t possibly know whether or not he’ll be a step up or down from Sarginson until we’ve seen him play.

Lots of us have seen him play ... and not just at Salford.

If he really surprises me, I'll be delighted.

But it's a generally correct position that replacing like for like is no recipe for success. You have to replace it with better, which is why I'm still hopeful the Sarginson money will be used to good effect.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain443
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 14 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Jan 20 18:2322nd Dec 19 12:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:35 am  
Rugby League fans have got to be the worst for writing off a player...

There is no doubt in my mind Chris Hankinson is a very good rugby player, his attack is equally as good as his defence and when he gets a chance to show it off I am sure he will make a fair few on this forum eat their words. He is no Inglis, but few are, however I understand many on here expect a Wigan side to be Inglis-esque for 1-13 :roll:

When Hank signed he was offered deals by Warrington, Huddersfield and Leeds yet chose Wigan as he was a lifelong fan. Last season he went great before nearly losing his eye!
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1895
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 20177 years211th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Apr 24 08:316th Apr 24 11:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.

Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:54 am  
RichieS wrote:

There is no doubt in my mind Chris Hankinson is a very good rugby player, his attack is equally as good as his defence and when he gets a chance to show it off I am sure he will make a fair few on this forum eat their words. He is no Inglis, but few are, however I understand many on here expect a Wigan side to be Inglis-esque for 1-13 :roll:

When Hank signed he was offered deals by Warrington, Huddersfield and Leeds yet chose Wigan as he was a lifelong fan. Last season he went great before nearly losing his eye!

I have no doubt that Hanky will do well once he is given a decent run, His kicking could be vital for future wins
RankPostsTeam
International Star791No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 17 201113 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Jun 22 11:3418th Jun 22 16:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:08 am  
The Whiffy Kipper wrote:
I have no doubt that Hanky will do well once he is given a decent run, His kicking could be vital for future wins

Completely agree, just look at our golden point loss against Hull earlier in the season.

If Hardaker nails the conversion we would have won the game and not lost in golden point.

All Ifs and buts - but I do believe we have lost a couple this year where we’ve scored the same tries as our opponents but not converted them.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2074No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200717 years208th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 14:4025th Apr 24 14:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:35 am  
Azza1984 wrote:
Have him as a utility back and play who centre?

Somebody of better standard than Sarginson.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1831No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 17 20168 years217th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 22:1921st Apr 24 16:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:49 pm  
I find a lot of posters on here judge players solely by their last performance. Hankinson and Sarginson are prime examples of that.

I have no idea in truth but I’d imagine Sarginson wage does not reflect his performances over the past couple of years. I have a lot of time for him, his work rate and attitude are second to none but he lacks finesse. Full back is obviously his best position, he looks to me like he struggles at centre particularly on the right. I’d like to thank him for his efforts but think letting him go is the right decision.

Hankinson looks as though he could be a decent player. I doubt he’ll ever be pushing for international honours or dream team places but we can’t have a squad full of players of that quality. He needs a decent run at right centre, his natural position before we are able to make an informed judgment. The games he has played he’s chopped and changed position and filled in wherever. I have no doubt he will improve given a sustained run in his preferred position. With the added bonus of goal kicking I’m not adverse to giving him a season to see where he is at with Bibby taking up the utility back up role when injuries hit. I’d hazard a guess that Hankinson & Bibby’s Wage combined are not dissimilar to Sarginson. That in theory frees up cap space and cash to strengthen where we really need it (halves & prop).
RankPostsTeam
International Star2772
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 01 201014 years137th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 23:1424th Apr 24 18:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Under New Springs bridge wit' rest of trolls

Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:25 pm  
JWarriors wrote:
Completely agree, just look at our golden point loss against Hull earlier in the season.

If Hardaker nails the conversion we would have won the game and not lost in golden point.

All Ifs and buts - but I do believe we have lost a couple this year where we’ve scored the same tries as our opponents but not converted them.

Cas away was one for sure, even with the injuries we picked up in that match it would have been done and dusted.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain332No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 13 20168 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Jul 22 07:503rd Feb 20 06:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:59 pm  
RichieS wrote:

Well said, many seemed to have made up their minds as soon as we signed him. Yet his first game was against St Helens and he really stood up.

No disrespect to Swinton but he won’t have been training as much/intensely or playing at the same level. He’s got the attributes to really improve if given the chance. And if not, you’d imagine his salary means it’s low risk.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years271st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Apr 24 06:5028th Mar 24 11:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid.
Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal.
Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.

Re: Rumours and signings v9 : Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:34 pm  
I’m worried whoever is in charge sees a player on x amount to replace a current player, then realised he can get ‘y’ and ‘z’ player for the same price but those two replacements individually aren’t as good as the original outgoing player. Going for quantity over quality but our squad depth should come from the academy and reserves IMO.

Whoever is in charge of recruitment over this last couple of years has been poor IMO.
PreviousNext