(Website)
Post a reply

Re: Rumours and signings v9

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:45 pm

tugglesf78 wrote:Hearing that Sarge has defo signed for Salford.

Wonder if it’s true and possibly related to us pinching another Salford player...

Genuine question, do people think Bibby/Hankinson is an upgrade on Sarge?

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:46 pm

Lussick if Leuluai is calling it a day?

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:00 pm

Last Son of Wigan wrote:Genuine question, do people think Bibby/Hankinson is an upgrade on Sarge?

With the kicking game of Hankinson, absolutely.

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:09 pm

Watching the Salford highlights yesterday I’d take Lui in addition to Hastings. There is talk HKR have cooled on a deal until their new full time coach decides on who he wants.

Whenever I watch Salford Lui reminds me if Blake Green in his style of play and looks a great foil for Hastings.

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:12 pm

I'd take Langi from Catalan as well. Think he's off contract this year.

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:30 pm

Last Son of Wigan wrote:Genuine question, do people think Bibby/Hankinson is an upgrade on Sarge?

Not personally.

I think sarge (whilst prone to an error or two) is an essential part of a 17 man squad.

Probably the bravest player we have and puts his head in places that must players would not even dream about.

His work rate and endeavour are second to none.

I’m all for replacing grafters with big hearts with more skilful players. However heart is just as important IMO.

I’m also in the camp that Powell is a superb squad hooker though and think I am in the minority though.

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:34 pm

P-J wrote:With the kicking game of Hankinson, absolutely.

Please don’t take this personally however this is a bit of a theme with us Wigan fans. We don’t half fall in / out of love with players based on one good game or bad.

Hankinson has had one good game for us. Both in play and obviously with the kicking tee.

Because of this he deserves to keep his space on the first team no questions asked.

However it is far far to early to say if he’s a better player than sarge. It’s far to early to even say if he will be a decent kicker for us.

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:51 pm

tugglesf78 wrote:Please don’t take this personally however this is a bit of a theme with us Wigan fans. We don’t half fall in / out of love with players based on one good game or bad.

Hankinson has had one good game for us. Both in play and obviously with the kicking tee.

Because of this he deserves to keep his space on the first team no questions asked.

However it is far far to early to say if he’s a better player than sarge. It’s far to early to even say if he will be a decent kicker for us.

Apart from keeping Hurrell quiet though, what else did he do in play?

It's also worth saying that Hurrell hasn't scored a try for a good few games now so it's not just Hankinson who can look after him.

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:06 pm

Last Son of Wigan wrote:Hastings might be the best realistic half we can sign. There's rumours of Panthers letting James Maloney go, but even at his age he'd surely have other NRL clubs interested, he's starting for NSW in origin game 2, this shows he's still considered a top talent over there. Those on here concerned with signing Maloney at his age shouldn't be, I'd predict he'd be the best player in SL if he did come over (which I can't see unless he has a burning desire to play SL and see some of Europe before he calls it a day).

I've also heard we're looking/looked at Aidan Sezer, he's a good player, but IMO, not as good as Hastings.

Any one of Maloney, Hastings or Sezer would be a massive upgrade on our current half back options, particularly when Williams moves on. I’d take any of the 3 and back them to rip this league apart.

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:34 pm

Don't know enough about Bibby to comment. I really like Sarge, as much as our project player strategy has come in for some stick, there's no doubting that some very good players have come out of it, Sarge being a great example (possibly the best example).

Being really brutal about it though, there are a few things which go against him IMO:

1. Is he good enough to replace Gildart on the left? Emphatic no, wouldn't swap Gildart for any centre in the league.

2. Is he effective on the right? He's not all that bad on the right, and I think the way that we play means shining on the right is much harder anyway. Even so, he doesn't look comfortable there for me, way below what he's like on the left or FB. Suppose your question was is he an upgrade on what we already have? Probably not much in it, but Hankinson is a natural right-sider, younger, a top class goal kicker and more physical (even though Sarge runs/tackles his weight and then some).

3. Is he good enough to replace ZH. If Zak keeps it together, definitely not and that's no real slight on DS.

4. Is his contract small enough to justify having as a utility player under the salary cap? No idea on this one, guessing no seeing as he came back from an NRL contract, but you can never be sure. I think he's a fantastic player to have as a part of the squad, but if we're looking to have a bit of a squad overhaul over the next couple of seasons, Sarge might fall foul of an unfortunate set of circumstances, and from a brutal club point of view, it might not be the worst thing for him to move on.

One thing I'd say is that his attitude and desire to win has always been absolutely first class, and has been a credit to the club. Really hope he has success wherever he is in the future; us, Salford or wherever.
PreviousNext
Post a reply

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/