(Website)
Post a reply

Re: Injury news

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:14 pm

Minus Flower I think we can rule out a tilt at the top five. We’re bad enough in that department with him, so I can only shudder how much worse we’ll be minus the only prop we have of an acceptable standard.

It should be a good opportunity to take a look at a few young forwards in the squad. Mist clubs would pull a signing out the bag in circumstances were you’ve lost three props from your squad but I doubt we’ll go down that path. If not then they may as well see it as an opportunity to take a look at a few lads like Partington, Byrne, Kibula, Kilner and Havard. I’d try and get the majority of those some game time over the coming weeks/months.

Re: Injury news

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:30 pm

NickyKiss wrote:Minus Flower I think we can rule out a tilt at the top five. We’re bad enough in that department with him, so I can only shudder how much worse we’ll be minus the only prop we have of an acceptable standard.

It should be a good opportunity to take a look at a few young forwards in the squad. Mist clubs would pull a signing out the bag in circumstances were you’ve lost three props from your squad but I doubt we’ll go down that path. If not then they may as well see it as an opportunity to take a look at a few lads like Partington, Byrne, Kibula, Kilner and Havard. I’d try and get the majority of those some game time over the coming weeks/months.

Agree with your general point but I hope we don't bring Kibula in. He looked way off the pace for Swinton v Toronto. The prophecies people were making of him taking over from Lockers were well wide of the mark. Can't see him playing first team for us again.

Re: Injury news

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:34 pm

Grimmy wrote:Agree with your general point but I hope we don't bring Kibula in. He looked way off the pace for Swinton v Toronto. The prophecies people were making of him taking over from Lockers were well wide of the mark. Can't see him playing first team for us again.

TBF most prophesies are way off. Speaking of Swinton, I remember some on here proclaiming Rhodri Lloyd as the next big thing years back. Some of our fans are always at it.

Re: Injury news

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:41 pm

jinkin jimmy wrote:TBF most prophesies are way off. Speaking of Swinton, I remember some on here proclaiming Rhodri Lloyd as the next big thing years back. Some of our fans are always at it.


Yep, Greg Burke was the next SOL.

Smithies looks the closest I’ve seen to show anywhere near the potential to replace SOL , but he’s still only very young yet so we need to manage our expectations.

Re: Injury news

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:44 pm

JWarriors wrote:Yep, Greg Burke was the next SOL.

Smithies looks the closest I’ve seen to show anywhere near the potential to replace SOL , but he’s still only very young yet so we need to manage our expectations.

Agreed, the same with Smith and Hanley. There's a long way between being a promising youngster and a competent super league player, never mind any more than that.

Re: Injury news

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:55 pm

jinkin jimmy wrote:TBF most prophesies are way off. Speaking of Swinton, I remember some on here proclaiming Rhodri Lloyd as the next big thing years back. Some of our fans are always at it.


I quite liked what I saw of him back in 2012 but he never seemed to kick on.

Re: Injury news

Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:21 pm

Egg Chasing wrote:I quite liked what I saw of him back in 2012 but he never seemed to kick on.

He's captain at Swinton now. Just found his level I think.

Re: Injury news

Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:57 pm

Grimmy wrote:Agree with your general point but I hope we don't bring Kibula in. He looked way off the pace for Swinton v Toronto. The prophecies people were making of him taking over from Lockers were well wide of the mark. Can't see him playing first team for us again.


I’m basically writing off the season though and saying we’ve nothing to lose in giving anybody a chance. We probably need another couple of wins to be safe from relegation and if it takes a few weeks to get them then the top five will definitely be gone.

I’d probably stick to the more established youngsters like Partington and Smithies in the shorter term but at a point we can’t go down or make the play offs then having a look at a number of youngsters would be wise IMO. I’d probably want to look at the ones they have doubts over the long term futures of, such as Kibula, more then ones you’re confident will make it at some point such as Havard. It gives you a great opportunity to make a judgment call in live first team action. It’s always tough to judge anybody on loan arrangements.

Re: Injury news

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:27 am

This team, whilst awful, is nowhere near the depths of 2005/2006. That was the worst team I've seen since i started following Wigan 30 years ago... Dennis M.. M.. I cant even bring myself to say it. Scott Logan, Calderwood, Vaeliki, Tim Jonkers, Wilkes, the Davico fiasco... Though I did go to every game that season. What does that say?

Re: Injury news

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:34 am

Kernel wrote:This team, whilst awful, is nowhere near the depths of 2005/2006. That was the worst team I've seen since i started following Wigan 30 years ago... Dennis M.. M.. I cant even bring myself to say it. Scott Logan, Calderwood, Vaeliki, Tim Jonkers, Wilkes, the Davico fiasco... Though I did go to every game that season. What does that say?


Scott Logan was half decent, Calderwood was alright and his 3 against Bradford give him protection from criticism IMO, Vaealiki redeemed himself when he burned Wellen’s off, Wilkes wasn’t Wigan standard, Jonkers was a steady eddy journeyman and Davico played 5 mins at Salford. Dennis Moran was a wrong fit for the team, when he was at London he was ripping the league up from fullback but a move to 6 and become an organiser with the loss of Farrell it just didn’t work. I hated him at the time but looking back it probably wasn’t all his fault.
PreviousNext
Post a reply

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/