FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Announced crowds!
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7735
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years81st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 17:2723rd Apr 24 10:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Signature
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!

"The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth."

Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club

Re: Announced crowds! : Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:24 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
Massively concerning IMO given the investment in the squad and the fact u8’s can now get a free season ticket. I’ve got one for the first time in years and one for my 7 year old for the first time ever and I honestly expected a decent boost in numbers. The club need to do more IMO but the people of Wigan need to do more as well. The people why call out for Lenagan to spend more with a promise they’d then attend more, need to do just that. Some will but plenty will just move on to the next excuse sadly (and I don’t mean people’s finances, work shifts etc). We’ve had the ‘I’ll go when Wane goes’ brigade and the ‘I’ll go when Lenagan puts his hand in his pocket’ calls but yet the crowds continue to dwindle.

I myself said Lenagan was running the risk of tainting his legacy by not investing in the squad properly for 2019. I wanted him to either invest in new talent or admit he couldn't and actively look for someone who could. He did the former, brought in some exciting players like French, Hastings and Burgess and I felt compelled to back that and get a season ticket. He must be sitting there at the minute wondering if it was worth it.

Exactly what I said a week or so ago on a previous Thread
And I will say it again - The town of "Wigan" will get what it deserves - Because if "We" back our club then I believe more often that not we will come out near the top due to the other advantages the club has (Youth, History etc.)
But if the people of Wigan don't back the club and use whatever excuses they want to use then at some point the club will have to respond to that and cut it's cloth accordingly.
Last year they talked about reducing costs, it doesn't appear to be on the playing front so maybe we've cut costs on Backroom staff, youth development, promotions/marketing, who knows?
At some point any of the cost reductions will have an effect on the club one way or another and I can hear all the voices of discontent when we aren't signing the best youngsters, aren't as fit as other teams etc. etc. and who they will blame for that, and it won't be themselves.

Now I will make it crystal clear again, I'm not criticising individuals for their own decisions and circumstances that dictate when they can or can't go or when they choose to go or not.
What I am saying is that those people don't need to criticise the club, the players, the game itself or anything to justify that stance
The people who can go don't need to constantly scream for perfection and the slightest thing that doesn't go our way criticise the club, the players, the game or each other.

I do believe there are things the club could do better, but when we invested in infrastructure i.e. youth marketing etc. individuals wanted star names - They get star names at the expense of other things and nothing changes.

The club has to continue - and if peoples answer to things is lets get a Sugar Daddy who will cover all the costs so we can sit at home, not support the club and it doesn't matter as Sugar daddy will fill all the gaps then I disagree vehemently.

The club has to be financially viable otherwise at some point it will bite us on the arris. (Whilst some will say lets just go get another sugar daddy).
RankPostsTeam
International Star2772
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 01 201014 years137th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 14:3924th Apr 24 18:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Under New Springs bridge wit' rest of trolls

Re: Announced crowds! : Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:33 pm  
It's down to the people of Wigan if we want a professional club or not.
Sugar daddies are incredibly thin on the ground, especially for a sport like RL. Just look at football, Sky Sports News desperately trying to make a big thing of the transfer window where even the "wealthiest" clubs are just looking at loan deals.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3869
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years108th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 17:0224th Apr 24 13:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: Announced crowds! : Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:51 pm  
Dare I suggest that there's a general malaise across the game?

I can only speak for myself here, but I know that as each season passes I fall out of love with the game more & more (not Wigan).

I'm personally bored of the constant race to the bottom that I think has been happening for a few decades now. An example that I'd give would be guys like Koukash coming in and getting shot down by other owners every time he suggest something new. If the guy wanted to blow millions on Salford RL then let him do it imo.

I'm also sick of the head in the sand approach that other teams have. Last season was absolutely diabolical imo - especially in the quality of play, but that's been the case for years. Yet, you speak to Cas fans or Salford fans and they are made up that they can now compete, but why can't they see that it's only because of the lower standards and the constant pegging back of the naturally larger sides?

The constant strive for a competitive league has ruined RL imo. I know it's easier to say this as a Wigan fan, but I'd much rather see 4 or 5 really strong sides (Wigan, Saints, Leeds, Wire and Hull) who are head and shoulders above the rest and allowed to really invest and poach the best players.

I have nothing to back this theory up with, but I feel the real strength of our game are the rivalries and that's what's brings eyeballs & then in turn money into the game. Wigan Vs any of the above listed teams is where the money is at and that's what we should be focusing on and nurturing imo. Support the big teams in every way possible and they'll bring everyone up.
Last edited by sergeant pepper on Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hatty 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner3718
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 200321 years269th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 16:3219th Apr 24 15:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
1998,2010,2013,2016,2018 & 2023.....I was there
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Re: Announced crowds! : Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:56 pm  
sergeant pepper wrote:
Dare I suggest that there's a general malaise across the game?

I can only speak for myself here, but I know that as each season passes I fall out of love with the game more & more (not Wigan).

I'm personally bored of the constant race to the bottom that I think has been happening for a few decades now. An example that I'd give would be guys like Koukash coming in and getting shot down by other owners every time they suggest something new. If the guy wanted to blow millions on Salford RL then let him do it imo.

I'm also sick of the head in the sand approach that other teams have. Last season was absolutely diabolical imo - especially in the quality of play, but that's been the case for years. Yet, you speak to Cas fans or Salford fans and they are made up that they can now compete, but why can't they see that it's only because of the lower standards and the constant pegging back of the naturally larger sides.

The constant strive for a competitive league has ruined RL imo. I know it's easier to say this as a Wigan fan, but I'd much rather see 4 or 5 really strong sides (Wigan, Saints, Leeds, Wire and Hull) who are head and shoulders above the rest and allowed to really invest and poach the best players.

I have nothing to back this theory up with, but I feel the real strength of our game are the rivalries and that's what's brings eyeballs & in then in turn money into the game. Wigan Vs any of the above listed teams is where the money is at and that's what we should be focusing on and nurturing imo. Support the big teams in every way possible and they'll bring everyone up.

Agree entirely
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29289
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 14:2525th Apr 24 11:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Announced crowds! : Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:02 pm  
100% Warrior wrote:

Mine is simple economics; I can’t get to every game and getting a ST won’t be value for money for me. The same for my two mates I go with. We purchase online tickets and go, generally in the East. We’ll be there next Thursday and every game (except Cas and Huddersfield away) until Catalans at home. We’ve opted for the membership option this season.

I’ve been very much the same for a few years but the fixtures were kind this time. I think the quality of the rugby will have an impact. If we play some entertaining stuff then the walk up will be higher. There’s been a couple times these past few seasons were I’ve looked out the window on the night of a televised game and decided to give it a miss. One occasion was last year verses Cas when I made it as far as the Berkeley square and the rain was torrential and I decided to stay in there instead. I don’t think I’d have done that had the quality of the rugby on show in the weeks before that had been higher.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9271
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 200519 years100th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 16:5824th Apr 24 20:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Announced crowds! : Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:37 pm  
The quality is poor, Thursdays are terrible and every team seems to play in the same formulaic way.

BUT the stagnation in ST sales at Wigan don't actually reflect the trend across SL as a whole. As reported in the RL press, sales are up at Catalans, Wakefield, Salford, Hull, Hull KR, Warrington, Castleford and Toronto. You'd imagine they'd be up at St Helens plus Leeds have their new ground. Stagnant sales at Huddersfield.

It's a problem at Wigan more than a problem with the game itself. Poor entertainment value, poor atmosphere and all the bad news stories off the field across the last 12 months have all likely contributed but the decline started several years ago.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1227
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 12 20158 years294th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Jan 24 07:1622nd Jan 24 19:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Announced crowds! : Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:55 pm  
I think a lot of you are overlooking the over playjng of sides,it’s got to ludicrous levels now of playing the same side week in,week out.

Get rid of loop fixtures for starters expand the company to 14 teams then see where we go,the sport is on its knees and I’m not sure there’s a way back for it for some people
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years270th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Apr 24 06:5028th Mar 24 11:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid.
Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal.
Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.

Re: Announced crowds! : Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:21 pm  
Also, isn’t it the oldest trick in the book to announce crowds lower than what’s there for testimonials so you don’t have to pay as much tax?
MattyB 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20311
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 06 200321 years107th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 14:5719th Apr 24 08:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
WIGAN RLFC - SL ERA

WORLD CLUB CHAMPIONS 2017 & 2024

SUPER LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 1998, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2018 & 2023

CHALLENGE CUP FINAL WINNERS 2002, 2011, 2013 & 2022

LEAGUE LEADERS CHAMPIONS 2010, 2012, 2020 & 2023

ACADEMY GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 & 2019

WOMEN’S GRAND FINAL WINNERS 2018

BEST SUPPORTED CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010, 2011 & 2012

CLUB OF THE YEAR 2010 & 2012

Re: Announced crowds! : Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:56 pm  
hengirl wrote:
I think a lot of you are overlooking the over playjng of sides,it’s got to ludicrous levels now of playing the same side week in,week out.

Get rid of loop fixtures for starters expand the company to 14 teams then see where we go,the sport is on its knees and I’m not sure there’s a way back for it for some people

But other clubs have the same issue and their crowds are increasing?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2893
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 15 200816 years181st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 09:1022nd Apr 24 10:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Announced crowds! : Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:15 pm  
Jukesays wrote:
Exactly what I said a week or so ago on a previous Thread
And I will say it again - The town of "Wigan" will get what it deserves - Because if "We" back our club then I believe more often that not we will come out near the top due to the other advantages the club has (Youth, History etc.)
But if the people of Wigan don't back the club and use whatever excuses they want to use then at some point the club will have to respond to that and cut it's cloth accordingly.
Last year they talked about reducing costs, it doesn't appear to be on the playing front so maybe we've cut costs on Backroom staff, youth development, promotions/marketing, who knows?
At some point any of the cost reductions will have an effect on the club one way or another and I can hear all the voices of discontent when we aren't signing the best youngsters, aren't as fit as other teams etc. etc. and who they will blame for that, and it won't be themselves.

Now I will make it crystal clear again, I'm not criticising individuals for their own decisions and circumstances that dictate when they can or can't go or when they choose to go or not.
What I am saying is that those people don't need to criticise the club, the players, the game itself or anything to justify that stance
The people who can go don't need to constantly scream for perfection and the slightest thing that doesn't go our way criticise the club, the players, the game or each other.

I do believe there are things the club could do better, but when we invested in infrastructure i.e. youth marketing etc. individuals wanted star names - They get star names at the expense of other things and nothing changes.

The club has to continue - and if peoples answer to things is lets get a Sugar Daddy who will cover all the costs so we can sit at home, not support the club and it doesn't matter as Sugar daddy will fill all the gaps then I disagree vehemently.

The club has to be financially viable otherwise at some point it will bite us on the arris. (Whilst some will say lets just go get another sugar daddy).
https://www.rlfans.com/

Very difficult to argue with any of that.
If I'm honest I will be surprised if we have maintained ST levels per 2019 as although we finished quite strongly the early part of the year was pretty disastrous even allowing for the level of injuries and more people are dissatisfied with the quality of the game and the lack of atmosphere at any game at the DW.
Ive been a ST for years but even I have thought about "not bothering" and in 2016 & 2017 I actually gave my ST away part way through both seasons as the quality of the game week in week out was in my view downright abysmal.

The club and the game have got to come up with some new initiatives and maybe resurrect some old ones otherwise as you suggest the game will not survive in its present state.

For me we have to concentrate on new younger fans and making it easier for "roll up fans" to pay on the night.
The free ST for kids under 8 is a great start but we need other sustained targeted marketing on U18 fans e.g. SBW and the Toronto game. For me there should major marketing of this game with incentives for kids/families. We should have been saturating local schools on this forthcoming match to encourage kids to come and see SBW as soon as we knew he had signed for Toronto. The club's & the games lack of marketing is palpable at all times.

I'm obviously not a marketing guy but I'm a guy who knows that the club and the game in general is in severe need of re-branding. Personally I hate the "Warriors" and would abandon it however, if that is the way forward let's do properly or not at all. Very left field should we become Warriors and drop Wigan??

I buy a season ticket partly out of habit, partly because I can afford it and if I'm honest if I had pay on the night or buy a ticket in advance I know that I just wouldn't do it. To go to the North Stand queue up for ages to then walk back to the South stand just doesnt work for me. We need more pay by cash turnstiles and contactless payment turnstiles. We have got to make it easier for fans to have quick and easy access to the stadium.

The game has become too slow and too predictable. Time wasting still continues and I could scream at the number of interchanges that just breeds not very athletic athletes and lazy coaching. The lack of intensity for me is palpable in every game including games against Saints.
The 7th tackle against the attacking team when kicking into dead is a start to reducing the number of lazy, robotic last tackle options however, why don't we give the defending side unlimited tackles after such kicks which I'm sure would reduce such last tackle options. As a sport historically we have been brave with new rules/changes and we need more if we are to re-invigorate the game in becoming more of a spectacle.

Better people than me will have better ideas however, we seem to be sleep walking into oblivion and unless the current malaise is addressed then like you I don't really see much of a future other than a slow painful death.
PreviousNext