Jan 11 20186 years304th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Mar 24 06:328th Nov 21 17:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: George Williams : Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:43 pm  
Pie_Eyter wrote:
Im delighted George is doing well and the change of scenery has obviously done him good but im not going to pretend for the last 12 months or so here he wasn't completely innefective. His tackling was still ok but as far as playmaking went. Zero

21 try assists would say he must have done some play making?? Only hastings (36), Coote (22) and Fages (22) had more in the whole of Super league. And throw in 14 trys as well, his stats match up with anyone’s apart from Hastings.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain95No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 12 20186 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Dec 20 19:256th Dec 20 17:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: George Williams : Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:15 pm  
Pie_Eyter wrote:
Im delighted George is doing well and the change of scenery has obviously done him good but im not going to pretend for the last 12 months or so here he wasn't completely innefective. His tackling was still ok but as far as playmaking went. Zero

Having a laugh look at his stats he was last season's scapegoat.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29345
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200420 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 20:3910th May 24 19:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: George Williams : Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:32 pm  
Pie_Eyter wrote:

Tough to try and do it all on your own and from a play making point of view he’s been on his own at points. There were times these past couple of years where you felt that unless Williams came up with something out of nothing, it was going to be a long day. I don’t think he was at his best these last couple of years to be totally honest but even a 50% effective George Williams is a bigger attacking weapon than 95% of halves in this country.

He needed this move to kick on IMO. His development had stagnated a little and he has to take some blame for that but he won’t be able to have a day off in the NRL like he could here. He’s concentrating, keeping it pretty simple and not over playing from what I’ve seen. That’s helping him spy opportunities to inject himself in to the game and with so many good players around him, they’ll help him nail the big plays and take pressure off him.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2905
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 15 200816 years177th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 22:558th May 24 16:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: George Williams : Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:54 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
Tough to try and do it all on your own and from a play making point of view he’s been on his own at points. There were times these past couple of years where you felt that unless Williams came up with something out of nothing, it was going to be a long day. I don’t think he was at his best these last couple of years to be totally honest but even a 50% effective George Williams is a bigger attacking weapon than 95% of halves in this country.

He needed this move to kick on IMO. His development had stagnated a little and he hahs to take some blame for that but he won’t be able to have a day off in the NRL like he could here. He’s concentrating, keeping it pretty simple and not over playing from what I’ve seen. That’s helping him spy opportunities to inject himself in to the game and with so many good players around him, they’ll help him nail the big plays and take pressure off him.

Agree with pretty much of that NK
You’ve got got to question our game in the north of England as much as GW as to why he did kick on so to speak in SL. As a code we accept mediocrity too easily and this I think seeps into the entire structure
I genuinely wish the lad well in Australia and will follow his hopefully continued success and shoving it up the arrogant Aussies
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200420 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: George Williams : Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:09 pm  
Itchy Arsenal wrote:
Agree with pretty much of that NK
You’ve got got to question our game in the north of England as much as GW as to why he did kick on so to speak in SL. As a code we accept mediocrity too easily and this I think seeps into the entire structure
I genuinely wish the lad well in Australia and will follow his hopefully continued success and shoving it up the arrogant Aussies

Arrogance like the commentators saying what a great ‘find’ he’s been. I think they believe he’s been plucked out from some amateur competition somewhere and is being paid $50 a game plus winning bonus. Our own Willie Isa pointed out that arrogance on Instagram the other day, commenting that he’s been a top player for years, playing in and winning finals in front of 70,000+ fans.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2905
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 15 200816 years177th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: George Williams : Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:09 am  
NickyKiss wrote:
Arrogance like the commentators saying what a great ‘find’ he’s been. I think they believe he’s been plucked out from some amateur competition somewhere and is being paid $50 a game plus winning bonus. Our own Willie Isa pointed out that arrogance on Instagram the other day, commenting that he’s been a top player for years, playing in and winning finals in front of 70,000+ fans.

Me and my son both burst out laughing when they said that. I admire the Aussies but have invariably found them to be arrogant and dismissive when talking about British players.
Canberra seem to have found a good balance and it will take a good team to upset them. I just hope that Sutton can get a lot of play time
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7740
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years83rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 21:398th May 24 16:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Signature
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!

"The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth."

Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club

Re: George Williams : Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:18 am  
NickyKiss wrote:

And Why should the Aussies worry about that when our own fans run down our own players and game as much as we do?
With regards to George in particular - He's been an England international from the age of about 22, He's played in 4 GF's of the last 7 winning 2 of them, Played in 2 x WCC's winning one (Earning praise from Andrew Johns and not sure if also MOM?) and his own fans, not even opposing fans, give him more stick than anyone

It happens over and over again, Young player comes through
Gets Hyped up and then they expect him to perform like a seasoned professional week in week out (Ryan Sutton big example)
Player gets improved contract - Wigan fans (In particular) starts to slag said player off - How dare he want more money, he should count himself lucky to be playing, despite the fact said player would walk into any team in the country AND the fans would be prepared to go and "Sign" another player from SL or NRL and give them as much if not more!
Form dips for a couple of games, gets branded rubbish
Poster/fan/armchair expert defends critic of player by continuing to rubbish player irrespective of what happens because they'd rather be proved right than admit they're wrong
Player leaves, performs well at another club and suddenly it's better coaching etc. etc.
Said it over and over again, if Wigan fans (And British fans in General) spent as much time being positive, look at the positives and promote our strengths as they do Rubbishing the game and it's players we would be in a much healthier position.
Keep telling people that every player is rubbish, every team is Rubbish, our league is rubbish and guess what
Everyone will think that it is rubbish - Surprise surprise
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200420 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: George Williams : Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:33 am  
Jukesays wrote:
And Why should the Aussies worry about that when our own fans run down our own players and game as much as we do?
With regards to George in particular - He's been an England international from the age of about 22, He's played in 4 GF's of the last 7 winning 2 of them, Played in 2 x WCC's winning one (Earning praise from Andrew Johns and not sure if also MOM?) and his own fans, not even opposing fans, give him more stick than anyone

Gets Hyped up and then they expect him to perform like a seasoned professional week in week out (Ryan Sutton big example)
Player gets improved contract - Wigan fans (In particular) starts to slag said player off - How dare he want more money, he should count himself lucky to be playing, despite the fact said player would walk into any team in the country AND the fans would be prepared to go and "Sign" another player from SL or NRL and give them as much if not more!
Poster/fan/armchair expert defends critic of player by continuing to rubbish player irrespective of what happens because they'd rather be proved right than admit they're wrong
Player leaves, performs well at another club and suddenly it's better coaching etc. etc.
Said it over and over again, if Wigan fans (And British fans in General) spent as much time being positive, look at the positives and promote our strengths as they do Rubbishing the game and it's players we would be in a much healthier position.
Keep telling people that every player is rubbish, every team is Rubbish, our league is rubbish and guess what

Absolutely agree from our end. I’m not sure the Aussies will ever pay us much credit for these lads unless we managed to turn them over in a series or a World Cup but we certainly do need to start hyping our game more and admiring the players for the unbelievable athletes that they are.

One thing I get really jealous of watching these NRL games is just how hyped and how positive somebody like Vossy is on commentary. Having the tome to watch plenty of old games these past few months has really made you realise just how much focus Eddie and Stevo put on the negatives over the years. They’d constantly call for forward passes, try’s to be checked, bag referees and so on. You watch an Aussie game and the whole production is night and day. They make every player sound like a gladiator or some non human machine.

As for our own fans bagging our own Wigan players, you’re right at happens far too much. I do think people should be allowed to give constructive criticism and I like to think I’ll do that but there has to be a balance. Ryan Sutton is a great example. I’ve always said on here that I rated him and to play as many games as he did, in such a tough position, at such a young age and to be as consistent, was a really testament to him. On the flip side of that was what I’d consider a constructive feedback point that I’ve made before and that was that he could’ve got himself in a bit better shape and pushed himself a little harder in that respect whilst at Wigan. He was a good player as it was but his move to Oz came about and suddenly he shedded the puppy fat and toned himself up and he’s reaping the rewards. He was a really good player for us but do I think he could’ve gotten an extra couple of percent out of himself for us? Absolutely. It takes time though and in his case a different challenge to do that though sometimes.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2905
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 15 200816 years177th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: George Williams : Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:50 am  
Jukesays wrote:

In principle Jukes its hard to argue with a lot of that.
Where I get disappointed with players is were they don’t kick on and step up to the next level.

I’d put Charnley and Burgess when they first came on the scene to be 2 of the best wingers I’ve ever seen at Wigan.
For me both have regressed as they have got older. There are lots of other examples throughout the game

I don’t know why this is the case. Maybe inadequate coaching/mentoring or maybe being too accepting of their levels of attainment.

I personally don’t mind players going to Australia to gain the experience and no doubt an improved contract I just wish that the game in the uk couldsupply this
RankPostsTeam
International Star2792
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 01 201014 years134th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 21:4210th May 24 14:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Under New Springs bridge wit' rest of trolls

Re: George Williams : Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:40 pm  
Looking forward to seeing him play this weekend.
Here's hoping he has another blinder.
PreviousNext