FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Disciplinary Outcome - Smith Gets A Fine - No Ban
DannyT 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1345No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 08 200222 years231st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 15:2211th May 24 15:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Is there a chance of a ‘breakaway’ game where we literally reset the whole thing, call it League 13 or whatever, new contracts acknowledging the risk of playing with the current knowledge we have on brain injury etc? You can’t sue the ‘game’ if it isn’t the game so to speak.
RankPostsTeam
International Star864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 08 201112 years252nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th May 24 07:094th May 24 20:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

I thought I was on my own in thinking 2024 could be my last as a rugby league fan. Looking through here and across other clubs' boards it seems its a potentially very high number. How sad, but I can't and won't adapt to rules of tackling below the armpit. Might as well play tag rugby if that's how it's going to be. I wonder if the RFL big wigs and club officials are taking note of the potential mass drop off. I know for a fact people high up in Wigan read the boards. A certain former head coach who is still in the club certainly does. How can they willingly destroy the game so ruthlessly because of air heads like Bobby Goulding who was an absolute gobshite
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3969No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 25 200915 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th May 24 08:3721st Apr 24 18:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
What's the rumpus, Tom?

Pemps wrote:
I can't confirm Bennett's exact words but I believe they were along the lines of "Strewth Ian, I wouldn't touch him with yours. He's a flammin' Gala".

Wigan Peer wrote:
I keep my bin under 30mph to avoid fines... :CURTAIN:

MattyB wrote:
you cant tell me they are all busting for a turd.

Please see for me if she's wearing a coat so warm
To keep her from the howlin' winds.

Cruncher wrote:
Sadly, I think there's more likely to be a fans' strike.

For the first time I can remember, I'm contemplating life after rugby league, and it might be coming as soon as the 2025 season. This is not guaranteed, but I'm not joking either.

This drift towards trying to make safe a game that is inherently unsafe is totally ridiculous. The focus should be on stamping out clear and unambiguous foul play (not inflicting draconian punishments for accidental contacts), and then trying the participants up legally with regard to their knowing the game is dangerous and being prepared to play it anyway, at their own risk.

I’ve always enjoyed your posting Cruncher and sadly I am in total agreement.

Games been going to the dogs for about 10 years.

The constant removal of aggression has reached a state whereby it’s now farcical.

We used to pride ourselves on the game being gladiatorial and the ‘toughest sport on two legs’

It’s not that anymore and so many entertainment factors beyond tries being scored have been removed from the sport. It’s become really, really boring at times sadly.

The behaviour of players to simulate and feign injury is a hard watch for me. It’s simply not how men should behave.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29346
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200420 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 16:5911th May 24 06:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

tugglesf78 wrote:
I’ve always enjoyed your posting Cruncher and sadly I am in total agreement.

Games been going to the dogs for about 10 years.

The constant removal of aggression has reached a state whereby it’s now farcical.

We used to pride ourselves on the game being gladiatorial and the ‘toughest sport on two legs’

It’s not that anymore and so many entertainment factors beyond tries being scored have been removed from the sport. It’s become really, really boring at times sadly.

The behaviour of players to simulate and feign injury is a hard watch for me. It’s simply not how men should behave.

The big worry I have it what that means at international level (should we actually be allowed by the NRL to play any proper games going forward). There is no doubt the game in this country is being changed in a big way but that isn't the case in the NRL. In my lifetime watching GB/England verses the Aussies and Kiwis, you've been able to say those sides are more skilful than us but you'd never say they're tougher than us and that we couldn't cope with them in an aggressive contest but when we're playing to such different rules, were they have State of Origin and high end league fixtures being played with far more leeway and their players are conditioned to that, we could get absolutely blown away in every facet of the game.

You look at this game on Saturday and more leeway will be given on the contact heights. There will be zero adjustment needed for Penrith but our lads will now be playing under different rules. You could say it's happy days as our lads can now go higher but presumably they've been working on their techniques to avoid that for months on end now and it's as easy as just switching it on and off. As a country we're putting ourselves at a big disadvantage in these type of contests.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15194No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 14 200618 years188th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 09:5811th May 24 09:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

NickyKiss wrote:
The big worry I have it what that means at international level (should we actually be allowed by the NRL to play any proper games going forward). There is no doubt the game in this country is being changed in a big way but that isn't the case in the NRL. In my lifetime watching GB/England verses the Aussies and Kiwis, you've been able to say those sides are more skilful than us but you'd never say they're tougher than us and that we couldn't cope with them in an aggressive contest but when we're playing to such different rules, were they have State of Origin and high end league fixtures being played with far more leeway and their players are conditioned to that, we could get absolutely blown away in every facet of the game.

You look at this game on Saturday and more leeway will be given on the contact heights. There will be zero adjustment needed for Penrith but our lads will now be playing under different rules. You could say it's happy days as our lads can now go higher but presumably they've been working on their techniques to avoid that for months on end now and it's as easy as just switching it on and off. As a country we're putting ourselves at a big disadvantage in these type of contests.

The resulting international chaos seems to me to be only one of many things that haven't been considered.

The last minute fudge with the Penrith game is 100% proof of that. But as you say, we won't be able to fudge it in World Cups or Test series that are further down the line, as too much time will then have gone for our players to adapt back to playing the real thing.

So, if 2025 goes ahead as planned, it will certainly be the end of international RL ... at least where British players are concerned, which most likely will have a domino effect on the domestic game, probably in due course at amateur level as well as professional (which will be much sooner).

I hear what people say about trying to reduce head injuries. It's a serious matter. But heavy contact between athletes is a fundamental aspect of rugby league football. There is simply no way round that. No one is supposed to get hurt, but accidents are accidents, and you can't prevent them happening in a sport like this by threatening draconian punishments. The only way to guarantee there'll be no injuries is to ban the game, which is what they are effectively doing ... but only, very mysteriously, in the UK.

If the RFL are insistent on trying to eradicate risk - and it can only be risk to themselves (in other words, to ensure they won't have to pay out big compensation) - the only way forward, as I see it, is to try and establish some kind of legally sound contract for players, whereby they accept a personal risk if they're going to participate. Surely it can't be impossible to do that? There are many other dangerous sports in the world, which involve potential head injuries - NFL, NRL, ice hockey, boxing, MMA - I just don't understand why it's only us who are facing this threat.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29346
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200420 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 16:5911th May 24 06:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Cruncher wrote:
The resulting international chaos seems to me to be only one of many things that haven't been considered.

The last minute fudge with the Penrith game is 100% proof of that. But as you say, we won't be able to fudge it in World Cups or Test series that are further down the line, as too much time will then have gone for our players to adapt back to playing the real thing.

So, if 2025 goes ahead as planned, it will certainly be the end of international RL ... at least where British players are concerned, which most likely will have a domino effect on the domestic game, probably in due course at amateur level as well as professional (which will be much sooner).

I hear what people say about trying to reduce head injuries. It's a serious matter. But heavy contact between athletes is a fundamental aspect of rugby league football. There is simply no way round that. No one is supposed to get hurt, but accidents are accidents, and you can't prevent them happening in a sport like this by threatening draconian punishments. The only way to guarantee there'll be no injuries is to ban the game, which is what they are effectively doing ... but only, very mysteriously, in the UK.

If the RFL are insistent on trying to eradicate risk - and it can only be risk to themselves (in other words, to ensure they won't have to pay out big compensation) - the only way forward, as I see it, is to try and establish some kind of legally sound contract for players, whereby they accept a personal risk if they're going to participate. Surely it can't be impossible to do that? There are many other dangerous sports in the world, which involve potential head injuries - NFL, NRL, ice hockey, boxing, MMA - I just don't understand why it's only us who are facing this threat.

All feels like it comes down to the fact the game is skint. Money can make problems go away in most walks of life.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15194No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 14 200618 years188th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 09:5811th May 24 09:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

NickyKiss wrote:
All feels like it comes down to the fact the game is skint. Money can make problems go away in most walks of life.

It's certainly been the root of all disasters in our game, clubs going bust, salary cap, players defecting to Union and the NRL, and now, finally this.
Zig 
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1673
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 04 20222 years116th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 10:1011th May 24 18:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Cruncher wrote:

We could try tick and pass!
Previous