Post a reply

Re: 5 to 6 Out & 4 In

Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:24 am

I like the skills Hooley has.
I do worry a little bit about his physique. Like it or not a super league player needs to be built more like a marine rather than the rugby players of the past.
If he fills out I think he'll l be very good.
Max has built up just the same since he came on the scene. Lower body strength especially.

Re: 5 to 6 Out & 4 In

Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:54 am

PopTart wrote:I like the skills Hooley has.
I do worry a little bit about his physique. Like it or not a super league player needs to be built more like a marine rather than the rugby players of the past.
If he fills out I think he'll l be very good.
Max has built up just the same since he came on the scene. Lower body strength especially.


SL is just too physical for young players to survive.
Jowitt although willing and skillful when he first came in, wasn't quite able to cope with the physicality of the game but, a couple of seasons on and with some extra "conditioning" and he is doing very well indeed.
There is a fine line between having the ability to defend whilst not sacrificing pace and some of the elusive skills.
Having said that, Wellens never looked super quick but, was a damn good full back.

The reality is that a FB isn't going to stop a prop forward in full flow close to the line, although there are some on here that think they should make every tackle, no matter what the circumstances.

Right now, I would prefer Jowitt at FB (not with a broken hand though), although Hampshire has some great evasive skills and speed.

Re: 5 to 6 Out & 4 In

Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:02 pm

wrencat1873 wrote:SL is just too physical for young players to survive.
Jowitt although willing and skillful when he first came in, wasn't quite able to cope with the physicality of the game but, a couple of seasons on and with some extra "conditioning" and he is doing very well indeed.
There is a fine line between having the ability to defend whilst not sacrificing pace and some of the elusive skills.
Having said that, Wellens never looked super quick but, was a damn good full back.

The reality is that a FB isn't going to stop a prop forward in full flow close to the line, although there are some on here that think they should make every tackle, no matter what the circumstances.

Right now, I would prefer Jowitt at FB (not with a broken hand though), although Hampshire has some great evasive skills and speed.


I agree especially about defending 1 on 1.
But size and fitness is important for attack too. He have to be able to take a hit and be confident running in to contact.
He'll get there.

Re: 5 to 6 Out & 4 In

Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:04 pm

Jowitt must be one of the most under appreciated players we have ever produced. 55 games, 16 tries, and won the Albert Goldthorpe Rookie of the Year 2016. If Hooley is anywhere near that I can't see it.

I'm not putting a downer on Hooley but Max has already made the grade as a SL player, he needs to improve but he's light years ahead of Hooley who at SL is a totally unknown quantity.

Re: 5 to 6 Out & 4 In

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:32 pm

How old is Hooley in comparison to when Jowitt made his Super League debut. I honestly expect Hooley to end up back at Bradford.

Re: 5 to 6 Out & 4 In

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:11 pm

I said ages back we should sign young Cunningham from London

Re: 5 to 6 Out & 4 In

Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:45 pm

I've heard we've signed Brett Ferres for next year. Very disappointed if true an absolute grub on and off the pitch plus never wanted to be at Wakefield in first place in his 1st spell.

Re: 5 to 6 Out & 4 In

Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:49 pm

I definitely hope that it is fish shop talk :shock:

Re: 5 to 6 Out & 4 In

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:00 pm

Wollo-Wollo-Wollo-Wayoo wrote:How old is Hooley in comparison to when Jowitt made his Super League debut. I honestly expect Hooley to end up back at Bradford.


Hooley turned 21 this year so still a baby

You can’t compare the team situation now with that of the time Max made his debut. Right now there’s an established team with two quality full backs vying for the No1 position. Back when Max made his debut, if memory serves, we had Ben Cockayne, Craig Hall and maybe even Richard Mathers all capable of playing Full Back yet it was an injury crisis that saw Max come in.

Re: 5 to 6 Out & 4 In

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:42 pm

trin77 wrote:I've heard we've signed Brett Ferres for next year. Very disappointed if true an absolute grub on and off the pitch plus never wanted to be at Wakefield in first place in his 1st spell.


Well if that's true then i'm afraid I've lost total faith in the coaching staff and the hierarchy!! :DEPRESSED:
PreviousNext
Post a reply

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/