Apr 04 201410 years8th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Sep 24 00:2211th Sep 24 20:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Pearson : Mon Aug 19, 2024 2:46 pm  
Sebasteeno wrote:
He does talk in interviews now in a strange way. Like Myler is in charge of the club now and Pearson is an employee.

Has Lord Lucan been found?
RankPostsTeam
International Star7675No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 04 201410 years8th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Pearson : Mon Aug 19, 2024 2:49 pm  
DSJ1983 wrote:
Fair enough if you have inside information and are confident in that fair play, I just didn’t see how someone could make that conclusion from what’s in the public domain.

The million pound extra spend I find hard to believe personally, I know it’s not all playing staff but what we’ve brought in still seems bottom of the table budget to me. I hope your right and just hope any extra spending is sustainable and keeps the club secure long term.

You dont spend anything now on recruitment for next season
RankPostsTeam
International Star7675No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 04 201410 years8th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Pearson : Mon Aug 19, 2024 2:56 pm  
Chris71 wrote:
In regards to Adam Pearson as the Owner and Custodian of this once great club he has to take the ultimate responsibility for the situation the club is in. He will always be regarded quite rightly as the one that delivered 2 of the clubs greatest days and the ultimate achievement of funding a team that removed the Wembley monkey from our backs. He has also saved the clubs existence through Covid, which is no mean feat and as a business owner myself going through Covid when you do not have any income yet still have to honor payments, believe you me it is and was not easy and takes a huge toll on you personally.
Anyone that says he should be gone needs to have a think about the Covid situation alone before making such frankly ridiculous statements.
But for all the good he has done and overseen, my word there is also a lot of pretty awful stuff he has over seen and is accountable for.
I think he was poorly advised at the start by McRae who very few would have said shouldn't be trusted, he should have stuck with Gentle and binned Radford, instead he did the opposite, then just kept Radford on for far too long, placed far too much faith in him probably because of the playing squad & characters in the squad pre 2018. Once those players started to leave and their collective abilities were broken up and individual abilities where starting to come to wain Pearson needed to have been acting, but he failed to make the tough calls needed. The calls weren't just ones in regards the playing staff but also in the running of the club and support he had at board level, Tony Sutton & Leigh Jenkinson 2 huge misses off field, along with Motu, instead he over appointed Clark etc.
Hindsight is a truly wonderful thing but looking back I strongly believe the die was cast when he sacked Gentle and appointed Radford, the rest they say is history.

If Adam hadn't have come along I doubt we'd be any better, quite possibly worse off or gone altogether, so love him or hate him without him its fair to say we'd have been screwed and I'm thankful for that though that doesn't mean I am not holding him to account.

Its a tough slog on your own and with only your own money, we only have to look across the city of that evidence and the difference its made to them with other investment being made into a club both in terms of finance and at board level.

Often said on here it was a huge mistake to sack Peter Gentle
Gentle had at one time 14 players missing yet he just got on with it
Maybe one day Adam will tell us all about the brainstorm he has and why it was leaked to the press weeks in advance
RankPostsTeam
International Star7675No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 04 201410 years8th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Pearson : Mon Aug 19, 2024 3:00 pm  
Jake the Peg wrote:
If anyone has around £2.5m sat doing nothing and wants to repay his loans to the club I'm sure pearson will be happy to step aside

said before as soon as his loans are repaid he will be off like a rat up a drainpipe
UllFC 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17126No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 27 200420 years33rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Sep 24 20:0711th Sep 24 15:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Pearson : Mon Aug 19, 2024 3:56 pm  
bonaire wrote:
said before as soon as his loans are repaid he will be off like a rat up a drainpipe

Tbf I wouldn't blame him for that simply because RL in this country is heading nowhere fast. Look at the weak crowds and games this weekend. In 2011 I was still confident in the games expansion plans now I'm wondering if it'll be a part time sport in the next decade.
RankPostsTeam
International Star7675No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 04 201410 years8th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Pearson : Mon Aug 19, 2024 4:12 pm  
UllFC wrote:
Tbf I wouldn't blame him for that simply because RL in this country is heading nowhere fast. Look at the weak crowds and games this weekend. In 2011 I was still confident in the games expansion plans now I'm wondering if it'll be a part time sport in the next decade.

See what you are saying but wont happen because logic says that the NRL will take over the RFL when the time is right and the first thing they will do will be to get rid of IMG if they are still in place and market the sport as it should be done like they do in Australia.
Cap increased in the UK and much more player movement between the two countries
Aussie clubs involved in a new Challenge cup competition and maybe even an Aussie magic weekend played in the UK
Sounds pie in the sky at the moment but if the NRL do get invloved you can expect things like this
RankPostsTeam
Junior Player235No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 10 20240 years202nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Sep 24 19:4811th Sep 24 11:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Pearson : Mon Aug 19, 2024 5:14 pm  
bonaire wrote:
See what you are saying but wont happen because logic says that the NRL will take over the RFL when the time is right and the first thing they will do will be to get rid of IMG if they are still in place and market the sport as it should be done like they do in Australia.
Cap increased in the UK and much more player movement between the two countries
Aussie clubs involved in a new Challenge cup competition and maybe even an Aussie magic weekend played in the UK
Sounds pie in the sky at the moment but if the NRL do get invloved you can expect things like this

I think the NRL would be interested in SL is because they’ll see untapped potential in places like London, Liverpool, Newcastle, Manchester but I think they underestimate how tribal sport is in this country and also just how entrenched football is. Existing RL fans even won’t get behind mergers and joint ventures like they do in Aus and people in the football towns and cities just won’t watch anything else. No amount of marketing will change that IMO.
RankPostsTeam
International Star7675No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 04 201410 years8th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Pearson : Mon Aug 19, 2024 5:44 pm  
DSJ1983 wrote:
I think the NRL would be interested in SL is because they’ll see untapped potential in places like London, Liverpool, Newcastle, Manchester but I think they underestimate how tribal sport is in this country and also just how entrenched football is. Existing RL fans even won’t get behind mergers and joint ventures like they do in Aus and people in the football towns and cities just won’t watch anything else. No amount of marketing will change that IMO.

Sorry but this sport has never been marketed.My opinion if its done correctly then it would have an impact
I agree with you about football and this is another area where the sport could look to.
Just imagine if Manchester United or several other top football clubs had a R/L franchise team.
massive potential there.Just look at what they have done with womens football and thats like watching paint dry.
Until you have forward thinking professionals at the RFL looking at things like this the sport will stagnate.
It may seem like pie in the sky but until you provide a proposal and sell the idea to a top football club you never know.
You only need one to come in and i have no doubt others would follow
Just think how that would revolutionise the sport especially in TV revenue
RankPostsTeam
Junior Player235No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 10 20240 years202nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Sep 24 19:4811th Sep 24 11:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Pearson : Mon Aug 19, 2024 6:11 pm  
bonaire wrote:
Sorry but this sport has never been marketed.My opinion if its done correctly then it would have an impact
I agree with you about football and this is another area where the sport could look to.
Just imagine if Manchester United or several other top football clubs had a R/L franchise team.
massive potential there.Just look at what they have done with womens football and thats like watching paint dry.
Until you have forward thinking professionals at the RFL looking at things like this the sport will stagnate.
It may seem like pie in the sky but until you provide a proposal and sell the idea to a top football club you never know.
You only need one to come in and i have no doubt others would follow
Just think how that would revolutionise the sport especially in TV revenue

The big Spanish football clubs do it with basketball teams, I still don’t see Geordies turning up in there thousands to watch Newcastle United RL but some kind of link up with football might work. Women’s football is often ran at a loss and not self sustaining at the moment, more of a moral duty from the football clubs and they’d be no moral attachment to RL. Interesting point though about football clubs. I can just see the NRL falling down the trap of just thinking they’ll be able to stick an existing RL team in a big city and expect it to work like it has in Aus, it might work for them having the North Sydney Bears brand playing in Perth but it just won’t work here.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7326No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 07 200519 years22nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Sep 24 19:1610th Sep 24 18:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!

Re: Pearson : Mon Aug 19, 2024 6:47 pm  
Well Adam Pearson eh love him or hate him he’s been around a long time, saved the Club, made some baffling decisions and also gave us the best day of our lives!! But for what it’s worth here is my own take on him!

I knew Adam way back when he was running Hull City from a portercabin on the front of Boothferry Park and visited him there workwise on many occasions.

I worked with him on behalf of my previous employers on the opening of the KCCom, on the stadiums community interface and indeed was there when he signed up with Richo to share the Stadium, something that had to be in place before the Government would release the Capital allocation and allow the City Council to release the funds, (to start work), from their profits after the sale of Kingston Communications.

I was also party to the creation of the SMC and as Pearson was the only person who wanted to run the Stadium, he dictated the terms including its tying into the Football club which in the end came back to seriously bite him. Richo was only interested in three things back then, getting the FC into a bigger Stadium, getting the RL sweetener for merging and getting back to Aus.

Subsequently Adam sold up and left for pastures new and Mid Kath era I wrote to him wishing him well and saying if he ever wanted to buy a RL club We’d be the one. He replied that aint ever gonna happen,

but after a few years of being involved with Leeds and Derby County and having to work with Directors etc. that diluted his power, so next up, conned somewhat by Kath and Co, he bought us. Subsequently he has insisted until this year that he was the sole ‘owner’ and had if you like ‘all the power’. He said he was open to investors but many thought that he only really paid lip service to that. That’s his style he likes to be in control and I guess you can’t knock it.

He built the club whilst making a few mistakes and then took us to the two greatest days of our supporting lives but then his health faultered, he struggled to continue to invest in the team whilst diminishing Sky funds and dropping income made for tough times which when Covid came knocking became even tougher.

He made sure everyone got paid during all that (probably including himself) but in so doing he ran up a massive government loan that some reckon was in the region of £2m the bulk of which had to be paid back this year. Year on year since 2017 we have lost good players and appointed not so good ones as hardship bit and Covid and that loan were the last straw. But he over saw all that and must have realised what was happening in fact his only possibly option was to oversee that happening.

His daughters interest fired him up for a while but perhaps he’s lost interest, perhaps his health is a struggle, or perhaps he’s just got older and wants to get out and enjoy life, but for whatever reason it’s my belief that of late his heart hasn’t been in it.

But then again, the game is failing in this country its relegated as a sport as far as media interest is concerned there are few personalities in it, games are boring, loop fixtures make it even more boring and nationally its profile has declined, and this last weekend proves that interest even in the most dedicated is waning.

I know that Adam, honestly wants to ensure the heritage of a great club continues and I’d defend that belief against any on here, but who in any case would want to be remembered by the fact that they oversaw the FC go under? But the lease on the Stadium, spiralling off field costs, the cack television deal we have, the administrators at the top of the game, the lack of quality players around and the draw of the NRL (and an inability to attract the quality players from there anymore), has all transpired to see us where we are. Yes, it’s the same for all clubs, but our current demise financially has seen it impact particularly heavily on us.

As for this season well the players know they can’t go down and be out of work, so just like the last 6 or 7 campaigns once they are safe, they don’t give a toss and that’s the single biggest historical issue conundrum and mystery at our club. For as Shaun McCrae once said, all those years ago in 2003 it runs through our club like a cancer.

For me, for so many reasons, it's time for Adam to go, no doubt! but he has to hand on to someone else.

All this Pearson out stuff is short sighted for if he were to walk (and I believe he would never do that without Guaranteeing the continuation of the club) we would fold, so be careful what you wish for. The only reason this season he is actively seeking a financial backer is because I believe (and its only my thoughts) that he is tired and looking at the great up’s and the countless downs of his tenure who can blame him. If you choose to be the sole arbitor at the top, it might be nice and powerful, but it’s a lonely old place at times (like now!).

But don’t be too hard or vociferous at castigating him because he is a decent guy faults and all and we need someone else in place before he goes. We are a great club with a fabulous band of supporters and a proper history of great times (some even in our recent history) so we all just have to hold the line support Adam until he moves on (for at least I think he’s trying to do that) and keep hoping and believing. It’s going to be a long haul and these are as low a point as I can remember. Wigan at the weekend is a nightmare! But, a new coach and hopefully (after many times of asking) an answer to that ‘cancer’. It reminds me of giving a guy 5 loaves and three fishes and asking him to make a 4 course meal for 5000 people. Adams OK so let’s just see what the next few weeks bring!
PreviousNext