Mar 14 200321 years1st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 14:4425th Apr 24 12:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Carlos Tuimavave Signs : Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:47 pm  
*1865* wrote:
I'd still be surprised if we get value for money.

:lol:
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner21531
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 25 200321 years6th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 18:5825th Apr 24 15:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Carlos Tuimavave Signs : Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:50 pm  
Dave K. wrote:
Which could be 0 on the cap if they use the extra 50k because of his long service.

It's only one discount per club, IIRC, and Whiting also qualifies.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner24278No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 14 200321 years1st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Carlos Tuimavave Signs : Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:52 pm  
ComeOnYouUll wrote:
It's only one discount per club, IIRC, and Whiting also qualifies.

I knew that, but not sure how Hull use it, even if they use 25k on each player it's still good value.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4255No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Sep 19 18:1625th Aug 19 09:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Carlos Tuimavave Signs : Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:10 pm  
*1865* wrote:
Yeah I know, I meant Micheals might be worth another year with Yeamo wanting to move in to the pack.

I like micheals he's steady, not my first choice but he does a job when needed.
I suppose a squad could be two ways, either have a small squad of stars & hope to god they stay fit & avoid injury, which lets face it would be almost impossible in a contact sport, or have a huge squad with a decent spine & a few top players & lots of cover in all positions. It's very difficult under the salary cap & the players available on both sides of the world.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28972No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 22 200717 years210th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Apr 24 07:0425th Apr 24 20:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Carlos Tuimavave Signs : Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:34 pm  
Dave K. wrote:
Which could be 0 on the cap if they use the extra 50k because of his long service.

Whiting
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner24278No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 14 200321 years1st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Carlos Tuimavave Signs : Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:37 pm  
easthull fc fan wrote:
I like micheals he's steady, not my first choice but he does a job when needed.
I suppose a squad could be two ways, either have a small squad of stars & hope to god they stay fit & avoid injury, which lets face it would be almost impossible in a contact sport, or have a huge squad with a decent spine & a few top players & lots of cover in all positions. It's very difficult under the salary cap & the players available on both sides of the world.

Not my first choice either and that's why he shouldn't be kept, we shouldn't be signing overseas players as squad players, we have two young wingers with loads of potential, but if I fear that if Michaels signs he would be first choice in Radfords eyes and.
knockersbumpMKII 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years309th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Carlos Tuimavave Signs : Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:47 am  
My first thoughts on signing Tuiavave was positive, he looks to have all the physical attributes, he can pass, his off the floor pick up is superb, he can kick, he backs up and I think the motivation should be there for him to do well so that he can possibly get a deal back in the NRL (because let's face it why would any native want to stay away from home for potentially a shed load less money).
I think he'll go really really well at centre and I'd like to think that if Pryce gets injured next season we DON'T put him in at 6 nor look to him being our 6 for 2017 either (though wouldn't be the worst option in the world)

Whilst he might well be able to go great there I really hope that we can focus on keeping players in their positions/not break up partnerships/moving several players around & take the youngsters from the squad when needed.

Is Lancaster ready, I don't know but I guess unless we play him we won't ever know, last time I looked playing a rookie winger and centre worked out amazingly well for us. I'd love Lancaster & CT to play together tbh, with Pritchard on that side I think it'd have a lot of opposition right flanks having a very tough time.
how's that for a bit of positivity :D
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10540No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Mar 16 13:0012th Mar 16 12:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Carlos Tuimavave Signs : Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:45 am  
I know nothing about Tuimavave, could be a masterstroke, could be a duffer, have to wait and see.

The point I do want to comment on, however, is something that I have really never understood: The argument that a player is not ready for week in, week out SL, or that they need to be. In what world does anyone ever think that a young player is? How is it ever possible for a young player to come through what is clearly an inferior standard* as a fully-formed SL-standard player? Across all sports improvement relies upon testing yourself against better opponents. Once you're competent/proficient at a level, you need to move up. And contrary to how some people seem to want to portray that in an extreme way in order to ridicule the suggestion, that doesn't mean handing over a first-team shirt to a rookie as your permanent first choice.

* I also find pointing out the gulf between 19s and SL entirely redundant. Anyone with an ounce of sense knows this, but a) there is no way of changing this, and b) how do you ever hope for a player to bridge the gap without being thrown into the first team for a spell? To bring through youngsters you unfortunately have to accept that they will make mistakes. Hopefully they learn from them and progressively make less.

Now I'm not saying that you can't ever see whether or not a player is ready to be given a chance in a few games, obviously sometimes you can. I'm only saying that what I don't understand is when a player is on the fringes with a few games under their belt and looking ok, how can you know for sure that they won't learn and improve quickly unless you give them further opportunity to find out?

For clarity/balance I don't think signing players in the same positions is a heinous crime, either. It is what it is, another option. If the youngster cuts the mustard better than the signing I would hope that they would be given the place.
RankPostsTeam
International Star361No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 29 201113 years304th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 21:2410th Sep 23 08:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm.
Vince Lombardi

Re: Carlos Tuimavave Signs : Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 am  
carl_spackler wrote:
I know nothing about Tuimavave, could be a masterstroke, could be a duffer, have to wait and see.

The point I do want to comment on, however, is something that I have really never understood: The argument that a player is not ready for week in, week out SL, or that they need to be. In what world does anyone ever think that a young player is? How is it ever possible for a young player to come through what is clearly an inferior standard* as a fully-formed SL-standard player? Across all sports improvement relies upon testing yourself against better opponents. Once you're competent/proficient at a level, you need to move up. And contrary to how some people seem to want to portray that in an extreme way in order to ridicule the suggestion, that doesn't mean handing over a first-team shirt to a rookie as your permanent first choice.

* I also find pointing out the gulf between 19s and SL entirely redundant. Anyone with an ounce of sense knows this, but a) there is no way of changing this, and b) how do you ever hope for a player to bridge the gap without being thrown into the first team for a spell? To bring through youngsters you unfortunately have to accept that they will make mistakes. Hopefully they learn from them and progressively make less.

Now I'm not saying that you can't ever see whether or not a player is ready to be given a chance in a few games, obviously sometimes you can. I'm only saying that what I don't understand is when a player is on the fringes with a few games under their belt and looking ok, how can you know for sure that they won't learn and improve quickly unless you give them further opportunity to find out?

For clarity/balance I don't think signing players in the same positions is a heinous crime, either. It is what it is, another option. If the youngster cuts the mustard better than the signing I would hope that they would be given the place.

An excellent point Carl and one I was about to make myself.

Of you look at how Leeds bring their youngsters through its not just throwing them a first team shirt and expecting them to fit straight in. They blood them gradually, sub appearances first, then the odd start, which gradually increase until they evolve into a first team regular.

In my own opinion I'd have liked to have seen a few more sub appearances this season from the likes of HTW, so they are stating this process.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach756No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 200816 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Jul 16 20:4622nd Jul 16 10:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Carlos Tuimavave Signs : Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:46 am  
clubs like hull in mid table,wont take the risk on blooding many young players,with the risk of relagation.
PreviousNext