Jul 15 200519 years25th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th May 24 19:5120th May 24 12:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: State of the Nation : Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:22 am  
bishops finger wrote:
No chairman of any club will ever really tell the fans the truth.

That's true. But I do think some sort of comms with at least a modicum of realism would be a fair expectation for passholders to have.

As Bombers Double Chin alludes to, it feels like the club's primary function now is just to survive financially with any on-field aspirations coming a poor second. The obvious outlier in this is the academy and reserves where we do seem to be performing well. So how does it all fit together? Some insight would be good IMO.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach708No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 03 200420 years298th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th May 24 22:0614th May 24 22:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Were Gateshull Est in 1865, or MADELATER ?
Signature
Hull KR = A 100% Hull Team
Hull FC = 50% Hull, 50% Gateshead

Re: State of the Nation : Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:46 am  
Mrs Barista wrote:
That's true. But I do think some sort of comms with at least a modicum of realism would be a fair expectation for passholders to have.

As Bombers Double Chin alludes to, it feels like the club's primary function now is just to survive financially with any on-field aspirations coming a poor second. The obvious outlier in this is the academy and reserves where we do seem to be performing well. So how does it all fit together? Some insight would be good IMO.

Survival has to be the only objective for the next few seasons, until a new lease is secured. That’s it in a nutshell
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12600
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 200717 years127th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st May 24 11:1420th May 24 20:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Re: State of the Nation : Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:49 am  
Mrs Barista wrote:

It has to be carefully calibrated because players and agents will hear messages intended for fans.

I’m sure Scott Taylor would have sought to join Hull FC anyway, but that Rovers were very open about entering a period of ‘building for the future’ while Hull FC were spending money to establish themselves in the upper echelons of SL doubtless made his decision easier. Just as Satae may have gone to the south of France, Swift a bit closer to home and Clifford at lot closer to home anyway… but together it makes you think they maybe felt the next couple of years could be a bit rocky. Pearson won’t want to reinforce that impression.

As for the comms themselves - if the situation is difficult, a win against Cas might to the spoon full of sugar to help the medicine go down. Or if there’s a rabbit waiting to be pulled out of the hat, it’ll seem all the bigger and the relief will be all the greater if expectations are low.

What Hull have done with the reserves this year is interesting. I’m aware that if I find something interesting I tend to bore folk though.
RankPostsTeam
International Star361No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 29 201113 years306th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 21:2410th Sep 23 08:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm.
Vince Lombardi

Re: State of the Nation : Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:11 am  
Mrs Barista wrote:
So another season shambles to a merciful end. As has been said on social media, without Clifford (and Swift) we'd be right in the relegation dogfight.

With gates miraculously holding up and a massive imbalance in both quality and quantity of players going out vs coming in we need some sort of communication from the club. If we're skint and will need to rely on the academy for a few years then it is what it is but let's be transparent please. We're miles off being a play-off side realistically so let's have the club hierarchy stating and facing the truth.

I hardly ever post now giving my apathy for the club and the game in general but after attending yesterday thanks to a pass holder friend being unable to make it I can see the more things change, the more they stay the same.
FWIW I agree 100% with your post. As Wilf says, with no relegation I think the pragmatic AP will tighten belts to the maximum and look to reduce debt.
He needs to be honest about it though. The fans can all see it happening and don't appreciate his method of mushroom management.
UllFC 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 27 200420 years36th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st May 24 08:2821st May 24 08:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: State of the Nation : Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:19 am  
Mrs Barista wrote:

I think the plan is improve the academy and then you in theory have several cheap 1st team players (and a chance in a few years we could sell them on)

But young players are unpredicable theres been many wonderkids who dont make it past being anything other than SL squad players, Tommy Lee for example was once on a 'best young players in the world' list but ended up having a solid but not spectactular career.

I also agree with no relegation the plan will be to save a few quid and if we finish a place or 2 or 3 lower then it doesnt really matter. Our ground and crowds will keep us in SL even if we are dire on the field. Also the game wants clubs to think longer term and develop youth and not just throw cash at panic buy Aussies. Cas for example arent any better for the transfers theye done over the last month, its wasted money.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4883
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 07 200618 years108th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st May 24 07:3920th May 24 18:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Drypool Bridge - watching out for invaders from the East.
Signature
JOHNNY WHITELEY - A TRUE RUGBY LEAGUE LEGEND

Re: State of the Nation : Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:32 am  
Mrs Barista wrote:

Don't worry Mrs B, he'll be in touch soon enough with the annual plea to back the boys. While we more than likely will it would be nice if he spoke to us at other times.
UllFC 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 27 200420 years36th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: State of the Nation : Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:42 am  
How they price the passes will be interesting, there are thousands who are so loyal that theyd renew pretty much whatever the price but some marketing spin of a 'discount' for renewing passholders may help the mood.

Also I think we need to look at moving fans back into the East and South stands, i fail to see the point of having a couple of hundred fans sat in the North stand. Get everyone back in the busy stands for the atmosphere. Also it would mean giving Rovers ths full North stand for the derby to hopefully avoid problems we saw on Good Friday.
B0NES 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12124
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 15 200519 years79th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st May 24 03:1821st May 24 00:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: State of the Nation : Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:58 am  
New beginnings this time ... no honestly , we really mean it !!!
RankPostsTeam
International Star7137No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 04 201410 years8th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st May 24 00:2621st May 24 14:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: State of the Nation : Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:06 pm  
UllFC wrote:
I think the plan is improve the academy and then you in theory have several cheap 1st team players (and a chance in a few years we could sell them on)

But young players are unpredicable theres been many wonderkids who dont make it past being anything other than SL squad players, Tommy Lee for example was once on a 'best young players in the world' list but ended up having a solid but not spectactular career.

I also agree with no relegation the plan will be to save a few quid and if we finish a place or 2 or 3 lower then it doesnt really matter. Our ground and crowds will keep us in SL even if we are dire on the field. Also the game wants clubs to think longer term and develop youth and not just throw cash at panic buy Aussies. Cas for example arent any better for the transfers theye done over the last month, its wasted money.

we cant finish two or three places lower because thats bottom of the league given we are likely to finish this season in tenth.
Sad to say but i think Adam Pearson needs to try and find a new owner with a bit more financial muscle so we have a clean sweep at the top which in my opinion has gone stale.
Hoping that Tony Smith can turn around a sinkling ship with the cash restraints he seems to be under,or that we find a couple of gems from the reserves/academy is just wishful thinking.
You have to think who will be the first to go Smith or Pearson
UllFC 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16944No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 27 200420 years36th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: State of the Nation : Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:00 pm  
bonaire wrote:
we cant finish two or three places lower because thats bottom of the league given we are likely to finish this season in tenth.
Sad to say but i think Adam Pearson needs to try and find a new owner with a bit more financial muscle so we have a clean sweep at the top which in my opinion has gone stale.
Hoping that Tony Smith can turn around a sinkling ship with the cash restraints he seems to be under,or that we find a couple of gems from the reserves/academy is just wishful thinking.
You have to think who will be the first to go Smith or Pearson

I meant over the next few years, an average league finish of 6th doesnt generate much more IMG points than 12th, rightly ot wrongly our stadium and fanbase will give us a franchise for years to come.
PreviousNext

Subject: 
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Hull FC

RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
BP1
3m
All Hail John Cartwright
ComeOnYouUll
5m
Oliver Russell