FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Smith - should he stay or should he go?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7231No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 07 200518 years30th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 19:329th May 24 05:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
2016 The Year of the Airlie Bird -on sale NOW, price £15, BUY THE BOOK RE-LIVE THE DREAM!

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:52 pm  
After sitting and watching that and being totally embarrassed..... again!!! Hers my own personal take on it. I have to say firstly that its not Smiths fault completely but I would be quite happy if he were to go because it simply isn't working. But who honestly can ever make it work.

It didn't work with Gentle (Players got rid of him) it didn't really work for Radford (Because a small group of senior players in 2016 got the rest by the scruff of the neck, otherwise it was average at best) Last did OK (just because he was one of the lads the players knew he was a short term fix and in the end they did for him) Hodgson was a sentimental cheap fix appointment (and allowed the malaise to continue whilst having no idea at all of how to stop it) and so we come to Smith (an accomplished coach who had been pretty successful at every club he has coached) but he's obviously baffled by it all.

So what is the common denominator? I'm afraid it has to be the malaise, Cancer, culture or whatever you want to call it that runs through our club.

It's been around for years in fact even Johnny Kear referred to it about his latter days at the club in his book. There is something at our club amongst the playing group, that festers and continues whoever is in charge. I don't know what it is, but it's been around for years . Every recent season we have had massive scores put on us, capitulated at about round 15 and faded away without trace and yet no one can do anything about it. Why do we think that really committed players like Swift and Sneyd left? Wanting to relocate????? I think they were as fed up with it as we all are. Pearson too has to take some responsibility because he hasn't replaced quality players like for like never mind improved on them and the quality has down down and down. but he inherited the culture and nothing really has changed. Back in the bad old days of the 70's at the boulevard we would go off at half time 20 or 30 points down to applause because we recognised we were not good enough but every player was trying his heart out for us lot stood on the terrace. Some of this lot are taking the p*ss I'm afraid.

What is the solution, well I doubt even the England Coach can sort it, because no one else has been able to. And who would want the poison chalice that is Hull FC? There is something radically wrong at our club something spookily inherent in generation after generation of players and perhaps those who are up themselves need the short sharp shock of fans walking away from the club because the only thing that is working at Hull FC at present is the strength dedication and love of the supporters. All I can say is that after today's thorough humiliation against a team without a win and hindered by their own injuries, thank goodness there is no relegation this year, perhaps the players know that fact as well?? . So today an absolute shambles but next week a spirited performance and perhaps another in the Derby before the status Quo returns again as it always does.
RankPostsTeam
New Signing60No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 27 20240 years281st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 14:309th May 24 05:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:58 pm  
I’ll try keep a straight face but we all told you so! Smith is so far out of touch and Gene is poison in any club. Pearson won’t go as I understand he takes a wage from the club as his only source of income. Pearson said Smith would be his last ever coach appointment so if he has any credibility and sacks Smith Pearson goes with him and that’s a big problem. I am baffled why they signed the players they have, they are simply not good enough and luckily Cas are as bad as you and London where arguably better but unlucky
B0NES 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12068
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 15 200519 years84th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 21:318th May 24 19:03LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:59 pm  
The squad we've assembled is easily bottom 4, I don't think any other coach could do much better. AP has cut corners and now paying the price for doing so.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3493
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 17 201311 years14th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 21:278th May 24 19:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:24 pm  
B0NES wrote:
The squad we've assembled is easily bottom 4, I don't think any other coach could do much better. AP has cut corners and now paying the price for doing so.

I don't doubt that and most people on here accept we are a bottom 4 team and with the squad we have defeat most weeks is inevitable. What is not acceptable is the manner of the defeats and today is a prime example. Smith should go but he's only part of the problem. The whole structure of the club needs to be overhauled.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3142No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 06 20177 years72nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th May 24 22:593rd May 24 09:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:27 pm  
The squad looks the poorest on paper I’ve seen at your great club. That is really bizarre…
UllFC 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16930No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 27 200420 years35th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 20:536th May 24 20:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:29 pm  
Marcus's Bicycle wrote:
I don't doubt that and most people on here accept we are a bottom 4 team and with the squad we have defeat most weeks is inevitable. What is not acceptable is the manner of the defeats and today is a prime example. Smith should go but he's only part of the problem. The whole structure of the club needs to be overhauled.

Agree, it's the manner of the defeats, had we lost an entertaining game today by say 2 tries or less i'd say 'ok we're in transition, brighter days are ahead' but there wasn't a single positive in any aspect.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12043No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 08 200618 years159th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 07:476th May 24 13:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:53 pm  
I don't think our problems are really Smith's doing. Far from it. I think he's been dealt a tough hand. However, I think the job is too big for him. Yes he's got experience, yes he's used to dealing with pressure, but this is different. We need to overhaul the club from top to bottom, and I just don't believe he's got the stomach for that at this stage in his career. We need someone young and driven with fresh ideas. Who that would be I'm not sure, but there are plenty of good assistants out there waiting for their chance. I don't mind us losing every week if I can see some sort of long term plan and some green shoots of progress. At the minute we are going absolutely nowhere.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12043No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 08 200618 years159th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 07:476th May 24 13:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:00 pm  
Shabino wrote:
The squad looks the poorest on paper I’ve seen at your great club. That is really bizarre…

I think we are definitely struggling financially post covid and are trying to cut our cloth. How much we are struggling is up for debate, and opinions are varied, but we certainly do seem to be badly in need of some investment. Our problems are compounded when you consider that a big chunk of our cap is tied up in absolute dead wood. Just Tuimavave and Houghton's salaries alone must surely be enough to bring in 4 or 5 useful players, and neither of them are good enough anymore. They aren't the only ones. The whole squad needs ripping up and starting again tbh. Of the current squad of 40 ish there would only be about 10 that I'd be sad to see go, and most of those are kids fresh from the academy.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1396
JoinedServiceReputation
May 02 201014 years98th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 21:567th May 24 17:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:04 pm  
We have three fundamental issues at the Club, financial, recruitment, and coaching.

No one knows our true financial situation other than Adam. We know Adam isn’t as rich as other owners and we know we have a Covid loan. I suspect it is true we are the loan repayment has made a major dent into our finances. I also think the cushion of no relegation means Adam has taken the opportunity to reduce the cap spend to allow our cash flow to cover the loan repayments. This started last season when Kane Evans and Griff were not replaced during the season. This has contributed to a less than competitive squad. The challenge will come, when if Adam is true to his word and our final situation improves later this year, our cap and hopefully marquee spend increases. I think he needs to update us on our financial situation and be realistic on where we are and when we’ll be back at cap and if and when we’ll be in for any marquee signings.

Our recruitment has been poor for several years. Since 2017, I think the only good value signing were Ratu and Clifford. On limited viewing, I think that both Ese Ese and Pele could become good signings, but that is dependent upon them staying on the pitch. We knew last season that major squad change was needed, however although changes began, i don’t think we can say we are even a club in transition yet. Looking at our squad, if we want to compete for the Top 6 you’d want us to have a core of at least 12 players to go forward into next season, before our next batch of recruitment, to go with a batch of developing youngsters who supplement the squad. Out of our current squad, the only players I’d definitely keep next season are Ese Ese, Pele, Walker and Ligi. Everyone else is replaceable or their salary could be better spent.

The past seasons have led to us accepting mediocrity. For instance, I’ll use Cam Scott and Fash as examples. I’ll just say, I like them both and they have never let Hull down. Fash is and always will be a prop. However, at times we play him as a Loose Forward and some are accepting of that. Fash never takes a step backwards or shrugs a tackle, but he is not a LF. I can not recall Fash putting someone through a gap or show creative handling. Cam has been in or around the first team for 3 seasons. Sound in defence, however as a Centre he rarely makes an attacking break. Today I saw the rumour that he could be going to Wakefield and that some would think that to be a shame. I’d be only worried if a Top 4 side were coming in for our players. Other than a great offload to Swift in last years Derby and following up his own kick to score v Salford, I can’t recall Cam being a real attacking threat. To be at least a Top 6 side, we need our centre’s to be able to make a break, to run in tries from 30-40m out. I think of Schofield, Leuluai, Steve Evans, Richard Horne and Yeamo. That’s what I expect from our centres. Fitness too, including today’s first 5 minutes, Sutty and Carlos have played 11/34 games together in the past 2 seasons.
I work in logistics. All the top companies replace their vehicles every 4 years, 1/4 each year. Sports teams should follow a similar pattern. Some players will stay longer than 4 years, others for a shorter period. However, we seem to have hung on to too many players for too long and also have had them in one batch and this has led to an imbalance.

Finally coaching. The pressure on finances and bad injury situation has not helped us last season or the current campaign. However, whichever Hull team take the field, I think it is fair for the fans to expect structure, discipline, fitness, effort and a game plan and that comes down to the coaching team to instill that into the 17 players each week.
Discipline - We are currently lacking with most of these. In 4 out of 5 games this season, we have conceded a try within the first 6 minutes. We have received 3 red cards, 3 yellow cards, had 6 suspensions for a total of 9 games. Also 5 games in, we have yet to complete a full half with 13 players and we have not once had more players on the pitch than our opponent. Whatever we think of the referees and the RFL Disciplinary, most of this record has been self inflicted.

Fitness and technique. Our line speed is awful. Both Rovers and Leigh’s line speeds were excellent. It’s easy shouting they are all offside, but I noticed Rovers especially were drilled to come up quickly in a line and closed us down immediately throughout the game, as did Leigh today. Why can’t we do that? That’s the Coaches job and you go over it again and again on the training ground until it is second nature.

Game Plan - have we got one? There’s no game management. Our kicking game is awful. We do the same comfortable kick offs to our opponents catcher. Against Rovers in the 1st half we had Ashworth kicking on the last tackle, that’s was both unfair on the player and questions who is calling things on the pitch? Successful teams don’t do that. Without fail on the last tackle, Wigan used to give it to Andy Farrell; Leeds to Kevin Sinfield; and in 2016 & 2017 Hull gave it to Marc Sneyd. After 3 months pre season training we give it to a player who should never expect to be first receiver on the 5th tackle.

Effort - this could be better and more consistent. Tex Hoy’s effort today was great. He left everything on the pitch and he was hurting. Last week at Cats the effort was generally good. However, v London, Matty Russell showed more effort than we’d seen from the whole Hull team in the previous games. That’s a worry. That’s either a club attitude or we have the wrong players.

So our issues are significant across the board. Before we make a decision on Tony, we need to know what our financial situation is; we urgently need a proper Head of Recruitment with better contacts and a better squad replacement policy; once those are in place we can decide on the coach. We either stick with Tony or decide to go with someone else who can instill extra value into the squad. Shaun Wane or Steve McNamara or Paul Rowley may be the British coaching options; or we go to the Southern Hemisphere to find a Coach who can make a difference we need.

Finally, I stayed for the full 80 minutes today, I always have done for the past 49 seasons. I’m a season ticket holder and these days I live in Rugby and it’s a five hour round trip to come to a home game. The club is in my blood and always will be. However, I don’t blame anyone for leaving early today. Leigh were good, but they were not great. They were missing their 3 best players and cut us open with ease.

Our fans deserve better. A club of our size should be in the Top 6 every season and really be in the Top 4 competing for trophies. Currently we are a long way off on both counts.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3777
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 11 200519 years205th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 23:238th May 24 23:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith - should he stay or should he go? : Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:19 am  
When Smith was appointed, I was relieved because for too long, we had appointed Assistant Coaches with no man-management skills.
They say a teams performance, is an indicator of the personality of the Manager. Laid back, can't be bothered....
Everyone and his dog knows, we are short in quality.. but fitness, and defence are non negotiable, for professional RL players. This is the responsibility of the Manager to ensure a group of players are physically and mentally prepared to play a game of RL.
Personally I would go out and get Shaun Wane, and allow him to appoint his own coaching, and fitness staff.
PreviousNext

Subject: 
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Hull FC

RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Squads - Leopards v Devils
Deeeekos
10m
Shopping list for 2025
Dave K.
15m
London Away