JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 12 201410 years306th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Nov 23 14:117th Jun 23 21:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Anti - Trin Bias : Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:19 pm  
Bennet clearly prefers his Wingers to be big. Most tries at international level are not length of the field efforts and so the international winger tends to be built big who can make hard years early in the set and have plenty weight to them when contesting balls/barging over from short distance.

Until that trend stops (and once Hall/McGilvary retire) I can't see that lads like Johnstone being picked, much as I think on the whole they deserve to.
snowie 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years317th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Anti - Trin Bias : Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:32 pm  
PopTart wrote:
Lol. That is funny. I actually weed a little bit laughing at that one.
Thanks for that ScouseViking :)
:shock:
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35970
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 20:0810th May 24 20:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Anti - Trin Bias : Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:54 pm  
ScouseViking wrote:
Hall and McGillvary are the only 2 players (Excluding SB) to have shown any sort of impact at all at the top level for England and you want to replace them with a player that could not get in a Wakefield team a few weeks back? Makinson I can take as he has consistently been one of the best wingers in the league over the last 3 years so he deserves a shot, In all honesty im not too sure I would take Johnstone over Ah Van.

I’m sure you wouldn’t - so what.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator20290
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 04 200816 years6th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 23:5611th May 24 08:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha

Re: Anti - Trin Bias : Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:42 pm  
snowie wrote:
:shock:

Too much? Sorry....
RankPostsTeam
International Star5000
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 07 201410 years98th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 20:3126th Apr 24 13:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Anti - Trin Bias : Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:21 pm  
The simple fact is that Toms not playing well enough to get ahead of the two incumbent international wingers! He’s hasnt regained his full speed either off the mark or in full flight and he hasn’t regained the same level of footwork going into the line which often saw him slip away from the defender. That’s not to say he never will but he certainly isn’t at the same level he was at before his knee injury.

Makinson is the form winger of the season for me, not just in terms of try’s but because of his all around game. He returns the ball well either into contact or when given space and crucially he defends far better than Tom. His positioning in the defensive line looks more assured and composed while he also looks more confident defending the high cross field kicks. While I think Tom is often let down by his inside defenders I can’t blame all of the defensive errors on them.

Hall has a track record of high quality performances at international level and even turns up for England when his club form has been less than average.

McGillivery was the star player of the World Cup last year and after missing half of the SuperLeague season through injury picked up playing for England he said now playing up to his best form.

Toms going to have to wait for Hall or McGillivery to play themselves out of the England shirt or be injured. In addition there’s a number of good young wingers who will push him to be next in line and there’s also the likes of Makinson, Charley, Burgess, Lynham who are all going to want a shot.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator20290
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 04 200816 years6th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 23:5611th May 24 08:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker - Buddha

Re: Anti - Trin Bias : Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:21 pm  
The Avenger wrote:
The simple fact is that Toms not playing well enough to get ahead of the two incumbent international wingers! He’s hasnt regained his full speed either off the mark or in full flight and he hasn’t regained the same level of footwork going into the line which often saw him slip away from the defender. That’s not to say he never will but he certainly isn’t at the same level he was at before his knee injury.

Makinson is the form winger of the season for me, not just in terms of try’s but because of his all around game. He returns the ball well either into contact or when given space and crucially he defends far better than Tom. His positioning in the defensive line looks more assured and composed while he also looks more confident defending the high cross field kicks. While I think Tom is often let down by his inside defenders I can’t blame all of the defensive errors on them.

Hall has a track record of high quality performances at international level and even turns up for England when his club form has been less than average.

McGillivery was the star player of the World Cup last year and after missing half of the SuperLeague season through injury picked up playing for England he said now playing up to his best form.

Toms going to have to wait for Hall or McGillivery to play themselves out of the England shirt or be injured. In addition there’s a number of good young wingers who will push him to be next in line and there’s also the likes of Makinson, Charley, Burgess, Lynham who are all going to want a shot.

Manfredi will be adding himself to that list if he has recovered from his injury.
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Anti - Trin Bias : Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:30 pm  
The Avenger wrote:

Don’t agree RE TJ. I see no difference at all to the pre-injury player tbh. The differences are If there are actually any is that one he’s a marked man now and two due to his injury he’s now a year behind where we expected him to be.

That said the lad is in double figures! Despite missing games so if that’s a dip in form then I suspect that there are a lot of SL wingers who wish they had Johnstone’s lack of form - give the lad a break I say.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2482
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 31 201410 years266th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 17:3818th Apr 24 20:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Anti - Trin Bias : Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:56 pm  
wrencat1873 wrote:
Would you rate Eden above Englands current wingers (or Johnstone) ??
He benefitted from Castlefords attacking style, which often overloads the left side.
Remember Solomona ??

Altough Eden scored a lot of tries and some cracking efforts among them, I wouldnt put him in the top 5.

Eden has hardly played this year Wren so I'll just concentrate on last year. Its hard to argue regarding Jerry and Hall the way they performed in the world cup but through the season Eden was at least on a par with them but never got a look in.
I agree he doesn't bring it out of defence as well as the others and Makinsons incredible improvement this season (what weights is he doing?) has put him above Eden along with Charnley.
So when all fit Eden 5th Ah Van 6th, And TJ 7th. :wink:
RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 13 200420 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SUPPORT SWAG...

Re: Anti - Trin Bias : Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:24 am  
newgroundb4wakey wrote:
Eden has hardly played this year Wren so I'll just concentrate on last year. Its hard to argue regarding Jerry and Hall the way they performed in the world cup but through the season Eden was at least on a par with them but never got a look in.
I agree he doesn't bring it out of defence as well as the others and Makinsons incredible improvement this season (what weights is he doing?) has put him above Eden along with Charnley.
So when all fit Eden 5th Ah Van 6th, And TJ 7th. :wink:

Why Charnley, workmanlike at best. Great signing for Warrington but not Internstional standard, in fact he’s just an improved version of Eden.

It’s Hall and mcgilvereys to lose and both still have far to much form to lose.

If this were a full test series I’d like to have thought TJ might tag along for the experience but that’s about all for now.

I’m not really sure what this games meant to be so I’m not to bothered tbh.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 20 20159 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Jun 19 11:2123rd Jun 19 14:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Anti - Trin Bias : Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:49 am  
IMO Hall and McGillvray have 'peaked' but marginally still first choice wingers. Makinson has had a good season (in a very good team!)
According to some comments on here TJ has not come up to scratch this season -hence not being on the plane.
Well I can put up with such a winger, who has scored some acrobatic tries Mc Gillvray couldn't attempt and is now scoring pretty regularly again!
Tom's time will come, but until it does, I still very much enjoy watching him in a Trinity shirt!
PreviousNext