It was the game of the weekend as fourth placed Castleford Tigers travelled to sixth placed Hull FC with a place in the top four up for grabs. A Tigers win would give them a three point cushion over fifth placed Leeds Rhinos but a victory for the Airlie Birds by more than two points would lift them ahead of their opponents.


FC needed a lift after last weekend’s loss in the south of France and they had re-signing Joe Westerman in their seventeen, and Marc Sneyd back on duty but were without the injured Albert Kelly. The Tigers now know that they will be without the services of Luke Gale for a number on months and also were without Jake Webster  and Adam Milner. Paul McShane switched the scrum half with Adam Milner named at hooker as Liam Watts returned to the KCOM for the first time since switching clubs.

It took twelve minutes if prodding and poking before FC opened their account when Sika Manu hit a gap to go over after Jake Connor attracted the defenders. Mark Sneyd added the conversion.


Castleford were back in it four minutes later after Michael Shenton took a high kick and found Paul McShane in support to go over for the four pointer. Jamie Ellis was accurate with the boot to level the scores.


An unforced error allowed Jamie Shaul to hit straight back for Hull and but Sneyd was unable to add the goal, the home side were 10-6 ahead.


A second for Sika Manu on thirty-two after a magical kick from Sneyd hit Calum Turner and went to Manu for a walk in. Sneyd added the conversion to edge his side ten points clear.


On thirty-two Hull’s dominance saw them over again when Bureta Faraimo was on hand to go over on the wing after an expansive passing move with the Airlie Birds keeping the ball alive. Sneyd missed again but FC were in control of the game.


The Tigers kick-off went out on the full from Ellis, but on the next set Mark Sneyd crumpled under the tackle and was helped from the field.


On being awarded a penalty on forty-three, FC elected to kick and Jake Connor took over the kicking duties and slotted over the two points.


On fifty-one Shaul knocked on an Ellis a high kick close to his own line and Kallum Turner was on hand to pick up the loose ball and go under the sticks to score. Ellis added the extras, a lifeline for the Tigers.


Turner went close to getting his second on sixty-two but was forced into touch on the Hull try line.


Faraimo did grab his second taking a Josh Griffin pass on sixty-four after Hull had just forced a drop-out. Connor added the two for a 28-12 lead with time running out for the visitors.


Connor kicked a penalty goal on seventy five and a minute later Faraimo fed Griffin who outpaced the Tigers defence for Hull’s sixth try of the night. Connor kicked a difficult conversion to twist the knife and seal a comprehensive 36-12 win for the Black & Whites.


Castleford Tigers got the backlash from FCs defeat last week at the hands of the Dragons as the home side raised their game and never really looked in any trouble against an under par Tigers. Castleford did have a purple patch when it looked like they may get back into the game but it was short lived when the Airlie Birds got their second wind.


FC are up to fourth as Cas drop to fifth.


FC: Shaul (T), Faraimo (2T), Griffin (T), Tuimavave, Talanoa, Connor (3G), Sneyd (2G), Taylor, Houghton, Bowden, Minichiello, Manu (2T), Hadley. Subs: Green, Matongo, Paea, Westerman.


Tigers: Trueman, Minikin, Foster, Wardle, Shenton, Ellis (2G), McShane (T), Watts, Milner, Sene-Lefao, Holmes, McMeeken, Cook. Subs: Moors, Millington, Springer, Turner (T).


Half Time: 20-6.


Full Time: 36-12.


Referee: Gareth Hewer.


Attendance: .  

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Copyright 1999 - 2019 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see