The KCOM Stadium was the venue for the Hull derby as the regular rounds drew to a close with both sides looking for form going into the play-offs in their respective eights.  A loss for FC would come close to writing off their already unlikely chances of a top four finish but for KR it was more about gaining confidence going into a daunting looking middle eights and a fight for Super League survival. The Airlie Birds had some pride to regain after being humiliated at Wakefield Trinity last week but with new signing Todd Carney making his debut from the bench, the Robins were seeking to inflict further pain and grab some solace after a poor season with some local bragging rights. After a delayed kick-off due to the required personnel not being available to allow the turnstiles to be opened on time meant that the tams emerged into driving rain after a lightning storm landed in a sultry Hull. Shaul was held in his own goal area after just sixty seconds as KR went on the offensive early. Two tackles into the drop out return Craig Hall went over wide right off a delightful miss out pass from Maurice Blair. Danny Tickle was unable to add the conversion. The game was being played at high speed but with deteriorating weather conditions there were plenty of errors from both sides. On twenty-three Craig Hall dribbled from his own forty all the way to the Hull FC in goal area where he grounded just before the ball went dead in goal. Danny Tickle added the extras for a 10-0 lead. On thirty-six Todd Carney kicked a 40-20 and on the third tackle Danny Tickle burrowed his way to the line under three tacklers to ground on the line. He was unable to add the extras but Craig Hall kicked a fifty metre penalty on the stroke of half time to send his side into a 16-0 half time lead against their local rivals. Three minutes after the restart Jordan Abdull pounced on a loose ball to pick up and dive over for FC’s first points of the game. Maurice Blair protested too loudly and was sin-binned by referee Gareth Hewer. Marc Sneyd was unable to add the conversion. Josh Griffin got Hull’s second as he picked up a Bureta Faraimo knock back from a Jordan Abdull pinpoint kick to the corner to ground. Sneyd kicked the conversion from the touchline for 10-16. FC were right back in a game that they had no business being in. FC levelled the scores on fifty-six when Mark Minichiello somehow extricated himself from three tacklers to stumble over the line and ground. Sneed kicked the goal for 16-16. Liam Harris knocked-on while trying to pick up the kick-off and two tackles later interference at the play the ball gifted Tickle a simple penalty kick to re-establish the Robins lead. Liam Harris was pulled back by Will Oakes as he chased a kick through. Sneyd stepped up to the mark but hit the right upright, the ball bouncing back into play. A high tackle by Minichiello on James Donaldson gifted Tickle another penalty goal to double the lead to 20-16. This was a full blooded local derby in which FC managed to hang on for long enough to get themselves back in the game but where they ultimately lost the game to a KR side who outplayed them for long periods and deserved the win. The Robins go into the play-off with a big confidence boost behind them while FC have seven play-off games with no hope of making the play-offs. FC: Shaul , Faraimo, Griffin (T), Tuimavave, Talanoa, Abdull, Sneyd (3G), Taylor, Houghton, Matongo, Washbrook, Minichiello (T), Manu.  Subs: Paea, Fash, Lane, Harris. KR: Quinlan, Hall (2T, G), Crooks, Salter, Oakes, Blair (SB on 44), Atkin, Jewitt, Cator, Mulhern. Tickle (T, 3G), Clarkson. Kavanagh.  Subs: Scruton, Donaldson, Wardill, Carney. Referee: Gareth Hewer. Half-Time: 0-16. Full-Time: 16-20. Attendance: .
All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Copyright 1999 - 2019 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see