After the Huddersfield Giants surprised the black and white side of Hull last night, the quest of the red and white side became instantly more urgent and more important as they travelled to the south of France to take on a Catalans Dragons side who were looking to make the most of last nights losses for Castleford and Hull FC to increase their chances of a play-off place.

While still unlikley, a win for the Dragons would lift them level on points with the Tigers and within two points of the final play-off spot, a loss for Hull KR could see them drop to the bottom of the table on points difference, having played a game more than the London Broncos.

It was a game where both sides had everything to play for in front of a good crowd at the Stade Gilbert Brutus.

No quarter was asked or given in the opening exchanges and tempers boiled over as early as the sixth minute.

On thirteen minutes Ryan Shaw got the perfect start for the Robins taking an offload from Weller Hauraki, stepping aside the tackler and leaping over in the corner to ground by the corner flag. The KR winger was unable to add the conversion but the visitors had a platform on which to build.

Shaw got his second seven minutes later with Hauraki once again the ball supplier, this time with a miss-out pass. This time Shaw slotted his kick between the uprights to put KR 10-0 ahead.

With Hull KR trying to slow down the Catalans game they were put on a team warning by referee Thaler on twenty-eight. David Mead made them pay as he took a Tony Gigot kick to the corner a metre short of the try line to cross and improve the angle a little for Gigot’s kick. The Dragone were back in the game at 6-10.

Two minutes from the break Danny McGuire scored a crucial four pointer, scoring while crashing into the post pads after being ankle tapped to the ground by Lewis Tierney. Shaw kicked a simple conversion for a ten point half time lead.

A high and reckless tackle gifted KR another two points from the boot of Shaw.

On forty-nine, McGuire foiled a Gigot effort to score under the sticks, grounding the ball a split second before the Frenchman got his hand on it. On the next play the ball Jimmy Keinhorst intercepted a Dragons pass and went the length of the field to score but his try was ruled out by the video referee for a knock on in the process of collecting the ball.

A second Shaw penalty goal on sixty-one, this one from just thirty metres, edged the visitors out to a three score lead. Shaw added another two on sixty-three as the Catalans indiscipline again cost them. The KR supporters were starting to party on the terraces.

On seventy-seven Shaw took his time to slot over a third consecutive penalty goal for 24-6. The Dragons had no answer to a perfect Smith game plan as Hull KR took the gold plated two points.

This was a stunning win for the Robins who lift themselves two points above the London Broncos at the bottom of the table. While it’s not impossible for the Dragons to pinch the last play-off  it is highly improbable as it would require a massive change in points difference and an extraordianary sequence of results. KR live to fight another day, the Dragons season has ended with a disappointing run.

Dragons: Mead (T), Romano, Whitley, Wiliame, Tierney, Langi, Gigot (G), Maria, McIlorum, Kasiano, Edwards, Bird, Goudemand.  Subs: Belmas, Albert, Baitieri, Simon.

KR:Dagger, Shaw (2T, 6G), Linnett, Keinhorst, Crook, McGuire (T), Drinkwater, Murray, Atkin, Mulhern, Tomkins, Hauraki, Hadley.Subs: Masoe, Litten, Addy, Trout.

Referee: Ben Thaler.

Half-Time: 6-16.

Full-Time: 6-24.

Attendance: .

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Copyright 1999 - 2020 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see